AQUATRONICA Aquarium Controller

jervismun

if price is a staggering 200% more isnt it better for us to buy the iks...

But the normal Powermodul (the one that I am currently using) doesn't come with dimmable e-ballasts... I heard can so some mod or something to the fixture... but that alone will cost a couple of hundreds <_<

There's no right or wrong here... perhaps the best solution if you wanna:

1) Use either IKS or Aquatronica to create dusk/dawn effect

2) Use T5

Is... to forget about the Powermodul, DIY or custom-made a ATI fixture with dimmable e-ballasts... which I believe some bros are also going that route :lol:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member

The dimmer Powermodul series may be 200% more but it's just lighting alone. As for the IKS and Aquatronica, it's not juz the function but oso the price that is the main decision factor.

If I'm not wrong, the module for the Aquatroinca is plug-n-play. Meaning to say, once configured, you can plug and unplug the module without the need to ensure that u plug back to the same port . Not sure abt IKS! Maybe someone can verify on that! ;)

If I'm not wrong, the module for the Aquatroinca is plug-n-play. Meaning to say, once configured, you can plug and unplug the module without the need to ensure that u plug back to the same port . Not sure abt IKS! Maybe someone can verify on that!  ;)

Yes bro Lyz77, all Aquatronica modules are plug-and-play... just like our USB mouse (u remember a time where we all need to install drivers for our computer mouse?) So it's very convenient... but I'm not sure if IKS features the same... coz I didn't come across that in their 4 pages brochure :nc:

Any IKS users can help verify this point?

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member
Yupe... the dimmable module for ATI comes with it's own computer... no need for IKS or Aquatronica... must order then LFS bring in... I heard the price is a staggering 200% of the Powermodul :shock::shock::shock:

The beauty of that product is... you just fit in the recommended tubes in the allocated slots and the computer will do the rest... brilliant :idea::idea::idea:

nope.. the dimmer version of the ati allows dimming function only.. it means either you dim it manually like the household lights or you buy a computer like iks or aquatronica..

the price is double only :P not triple :lol:

if its computer controlled.. I would have gladly bought it because what sold me to the aquatronica or iks is the dimming function..the rest are just good to have toys :lol:

And I got a feeling the fans will be computer controlled (in terms of intensity) too... if I am not wrong  :unsure:

think 1 of the guys here bought the dimmable ati.. just check with him :D

or aquamarine since they sold it..

aquatronica7na.gif

Ok let me sum up the ATI discussion and make way for the arrival of the Aquatronica System... very very soon :lol:

In order to achieve dusk/dawn effect, you need the following:

1) A light fixture that comes with dimmable ballasts, regardless of brand

2) A computer/controller (such as Aquatronica or IKS) to control the various intensities

3) A Dimming module (IKS will be known as SIMMOD, Aquatronica goes by another trade name)

For more information/discussion on this issue, please visit the following link:

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=49314

Bro Lyz77 (and all other bros waiting for the Aquatronica shipment)... are you ready?!? :lol::lol::lol:

Found something very interesting... it's a members tank section within the Aquatronica website... for all users to post... oh bro Lyz77... let's get in there next week :lol::lol::lol: We're gonna show the world!!!

http://www.aquatronica.com/eng/aquacontrolled.htm

The "Aquatronica Club" logo is already in the design stage... let me just check with Aquatronica if there's any violation to their copyrights and so on... you know... jsut to be on the safe side :) We might even get an endorsement from them :P:P:P

post-14-1150863512.jpg

Honestly... I think we can do better than Brandi :lol:

post-14-1150863584.jpg

But Acquaviva's tank is quite pro lah :lol: Isn't the Aquatronica looks gorgeous on those tanks? Hahaha... I am so so excited already... the controller also comes with a very flexible mounting device to enable users to mount on almost anywhere... whichever position... and ONLY 1 WIRE out of the controller... not 13!!! ;););)

post-14-1150863689.jpg

• SRC Member

eh, can i know how come you know so much about the equipment, when you don't own one. Can share where you get your info from i also want to know.

i checked thru this....

Aquatronica

Seems like the equipment you uses is always the best...must learn from you..

TIA for sharing..

eh, can i know how come you know so much about the equipment, when you don't own one. Can share where you get your info from i also want to know.

i checked thru this....

Aquatronica

TIA for sharing..

Relax lar, information sharing only.

Errm... just like to know if you own the IKS and Aquatronics, if where do you find the info that IKS cannot take after market replacement probes?

You already give me the link. Get the info from there.

Most of the sensors are 1-point semi automatic calibration :P

Aquatronica

Also there aren't too many companies making these type of probes in the world and most of the are OEM.

Both IKS and Aquatronics accepts after market probes.

• SRC Member
eh, can i know how come you know so much about the equipment, when you don't own one.  Can share where you get your info from i also want to know.

i checked thru this....

Aquatronica

TIA for sharing..

hehehe...relax bro, if not wrong WL is in some sort of instrumentation industry....he seems more verse in senors and probe then us ordinary human.... :lol::lol::lol:

acutally, what is 1 point semi calabration - whatever....maybe can educated us a bit so at least can know what we are paying for....:)

Unfortunately most of the sensors of the aquatronics allows only 1 point calibration and is not temperature compensated :P

Much much less accurate !!!!

Might as well just use test kit instead of spending couple hundred dollars.

I do not know where you get the information from... or perhaps I'm too lazy to go to those links you guys posted... too many of them btw... I've personally tested the Aquatronica probes at the LFS and we used some ice cubes to chill the water... the readings fluctuates according to the temperature... so let's be patient, we will get our controllers soon, let us do a thorough review on this product. I promise you guys 360º and it will be comprehensive and impartial.

Bro Weileong... this is not just a monitor but a controller (I hope you can tell the difference)... so normal test kits can't do the controlling part that Aquatronica does. So I will have to totally disagree with your previous statement as below:

"Might as well just use test kit instead of spending couple hundred dollars." - Weileong

Thanks for your patronage... and I hope that you can at least appreciate what we have done so far... :)

acutally, what is 1 point semi calabration - whatever....maybe can educated us a bit so at least can know what we are paying for....:)

Usually for these type of sensors the response is in a straight line so calibration should be carried out for two point so the gradient and X/Y intercept (Y = AX +B) can be calculate.

For single-point or 1 point calibration only the X/Y intercept (B) is changed while the gradient remains the same. In this case depending on the calibration solution used, the information from the probe can differ from the actual reading of the sample by a small margin or large margin. That is why you see for Aquatronics they offer two type of standard solution for conductivity electrode. One for freshwater and one for seawater.

If two points calibration is done then the Gradient and X/Y intercept is corrected and no such problem.

Semi-automatics means you still have to manually dip the sensor in the calibration solution, press the buttons etc.

Bro Weileong... this is not just a monitor but a controller (I hope you can tell the difference)... so normal test kits can't do the controlling part that Aquatronica does. So I will have to totally disagree with your previous statement as below:

Thank you for your reply. I do get my points across :P

Thank you for the 13 wires humour too, I enjoy it very much.

Do you meant the Aquatronics probes are all wireless?

Thank you for the 13 wires humour too, I enjoy it very much.

Do you meant the Aquatronics probes are all wireless?

Err... that's not humour bro... that's a big design fault to me (I also do product design)... 13 wires sticking out of a sleek looking computer... that's why I sometimes see IKS as being a PC computer, Aquatronica being Mac... everytime you compare these 2 brands... it will spark conversation... but 1 design will tend to be more superior than the other because they are more purposeful, minimal, and create less problem for the users to tackle with later on... so having 13 wires is a problem to tackle with (IMHO).

Oh IKS do come up with a solution after that... introducing a LED screen (yes, this time with 1 wire... finally) that cost as much as the computer itself... you must be joking!!!

Aquatronica probes unfortunately are not wireless... but at least they can be easily hidden from view. Well... you can always hide the IKS inside your cabinet I suppose coz I don't see a practical way to mount it on our existing tank without customizing the entire cabinet to allow space to hide the 13 wires ;););)

Before we go further and this thread end up in a mess, we're clarifying on some wrong info which some pple had due to lack of information and wrong information fed from others.

At least the IKS external display is water proof :P

If I am not wrong your aquatronics is not water proof, same goes for the IKS aquastar, not water proof. This alone is good enough reason for me to hide it somewhere safe from the salt water! You don't want your expensive controller to get corroded?

Also we do not need to purchase extra module in order to connect PC to the controller. Serial port comes standard on the IKS.

Do you know how much to pay for the "PC module" for the aquatronics?

You cannot escape from the wires, they will be there because the probes are not wireless.

1) Before we go further and this thread end up in a mess, we're clarifying on some wrong info which some pple had due to lack of information and wrong information fed from others.

2) At least the IKS external display is water proof :P

If I am not wrong your aquatronics is not water proof, same goes for the IKS aquastar, not water proof. This alone is good enough reason for me to hide it somewhere safe from the salt water! You don't want your expensive controller to get corroded?

3) Also we do not need to purchase extra module in order to connect PC to the controller. Serial port comes standard on the IKS.

4) Do you know how much to pay for the "PC module" for the aquatronics?

5) You cannot escape from the wires, they will be there because the probes are not wireless.

1) Bro this is my thread and it seems that you are messing it up... <_< But it's ok... that's what product reviews are for :)

2) Ok the water proofing is a nice touch... but for $600 plus?!? RD already published the rate by the way... and I was like :shock::shock::shock: (I'm glad I cancelled my order actually). As for the placement... regardless of water proof or not... salt water is bad... I will definitely mount it somewhere dry... but not necessarily hide it... with 13 wires... you need to hide it... Aquastar controller casing is made of plastic btw... therefore it will not corrode. The IKS will coz there are way too many ports, plugs, etc. on the computer body.

3) & 4) Yes the Aquatronica doesn't come with a PC kit, I bought it the set for $100+ (that's part of the package anyway)... oh mine comes with USB... coz my VAOI tiny little notebook doesn't support serial anymore (I know it's sad)... Apple has gotten rid of Serial more than 7 years ago. Don't tell me IKS doesn't come with USB :shock::shock::shock:

5) For Aquatronica, the probes are connected to the Power Bar (therefore they can all be hidden inside the cabinet... everything happens inside the cabinet/sump... I think you still don't really understand the concept behind the "single wire to the controller" concept... I will show you a pix once I get hold of my set. Meanwhile you can show us your IKS computer with 13 wires :lol: The picture can tell a thousand words... no need to even say anything :)

3) & 4) Yes the Aquatronica doesn't come with a PC kit, I bought it the set for $100+ (that's part of the package anyway)... oh mine comes with USB... coz my VAOI tiny little notebook doesn't support serial anymore (I know it's sad)... Apple has gotten rid of Serial more than 7 years ago. Don't tell me IKS doesn't come with USB :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

Hmmm... how come aquatronics still require users to buy the "PC module" (that comes with serial port BTW) and then you have to use the USB<->RS-232 convertor that comes with it?

The serial port is built in on the IKS and that is the same as Aquatronics except that it is built-in at no extra cost. For using USB both requires the use of USB to RS-232 convertor. I don't see how much outdated IKS can be for this case.

Bro weileong, thks for sharing the type of calibration mode.

Btw, is it a software or hardware limitation in order to conduct a 1 or 2 point calibration? Pls advise! :thanks:

Bro Weileong... but I do have to agree with your regarding the probes also... for Aquatronica only the pH Probe allow 2 point calibration... others all 1 point automatic... for the benefit of all readers... can you help clarify the following:

1) Does all IKS probes come with 2 points (or more) calibration?

Actually just one question... hope you will answer it well :bow::bow::bow:

Bro Weileong... but I do have to agree with your regarding the probes also... for Aquatronica only the pH Probe allow 2 point calibration... others all 1 point automatic... for the benefit of all readers... can you help clarify the following:

1) Does all IKS probes come with 2 points (or more) calibration?

Actually just one question... hope you will answer it well  :bow:  :bow:  :bow:

If my memory is correct all IKS probes (except air pressure) allows two point calibration.

1. pH (2 points semi-auto)

2. Temp (2 points manual method)

3. Redox (2 points semi auto)

4. Conductivity (2 points semi auto)

5. Dissolved Oxygen (2 points semi auto)

Maybe missed out some.

I answer objectively without bias one hor.

Hmmm... how come aquatronics still require users to buy the "PC module" (that comes with serial port BTW) and then you have to use the USB<->RS-232 convertor that comes with it?

The serial port is built in on the IKS and that is the same as Aquatronics except that it is built-in at no extra cost. For using USB both requires the use of USB to RS-232 convertor. I don't see how much outdated IKS can be for this case.

Bro... the local distributor is offering the PC Kit as a package... at a very reasonable packaged price... now I don't see the problem with it coming separately or together... coz in both situations... I still need to buy a USB convertor (for me that is).

I am not saying IKS is outdated... in fact it is the pioneer in this field... and a pioneer commands respect... but as mentioned before... new comers like Aquatronica really manage to learn what's lacking in the IKS system (in terms of design, userability, simplicity, pricing, etc.) and come up with a much more competitive product... let's face it... it happens all the time...

But for IKS not to launch any new model since its introduction more than 10 years ago... doesn't help its position in the market at all... remember those days where Mercedes will only launch a new S-Class every ten year or so... but now, due to market competition... their models can barely last 7 years... so is IKS outdated?... to be honest... yes and no...

• SRC Member

Usually changes in software will enable two points caibration as well as temperature compensation :P

If that's the case, I strongly believe that the next software patch/ update will overcome this issue. Therefore, we should look forward as both Aquatronica and IKS is consider as "long term investment".

IT technology changes very fast and I believe it's not a matter of which one is the best over the other but more on the the functionilty/ ergonomic design that it's capable of providing the market! :)