Ich, & now skin infection

Entire tank has itch outbreak, treated with copper (Seachem Cupramine) and now some fishes (especially Angels) have skin erosion. Mostlly around the head. It was like faded colors initially, and now its reddish with tiny HOLES.

Read that its not advisable to mix copper base treatment with other medication. It may convert the medication/copper to very toxic substance. Even Seachem says not to mix cupramine with other medication, particularly Seachem Paraguard.

Also read from Reefcentral that Maracyn-2 is very effective for bacteria treatment. Where can we get it here?

I am lost now, cannot add medication cos haven't complete the copper treatment period. By the end of treatment period and removal of copper, the fish may sayonara liao. :(

• SRC Member

what are your water paremeters?

maybe if you detail your specs

-time tank runnung

-water conditions

-LS

-feeding habits

btw,copper is deadly to corals and its almost impossible to

completely remove once used...

guess it'll have to be a fish only tank for a while.

did the problem start after you added a last specimen?

maybe that was the infected one.

what are your water paremeters?

maybe if you detail your specs

-time tank runnung

-water conditions

-LS

-feeding habits

btw,copper is deadly to corals and its almost impossible to

completely remove once used...

guess it'll have to be a fish only tank for a while.

did the problem start after you added a last specimen?

maybe that was the infected one.

Tank running for at least 3 yrs liao.

Ammonia & nitrite always 0. Other water parameter not so critical cos its a fish only.

LS mixture of tangs, angels, butterfly, etc. Total of about 15 fishes in 600 ltrs tank. Most of the LS are kept for long time already.

Itch comes occationally. How problem started is no longer important. What is important now is what's the next step.

:thanks:

Oh, FO tank! :)

Whew!

You can try hyposalinity treatment for a more effective, gentler method of dealing with ich... do a search on RC... they have many practical experiences to share!

AT

Oh, FO tank! :)

Whew!

You can try hyposalinity treatment for a more effective, gentler method of dealing with ich... do a search on RC... they have many practical experiences to share!

AT

Has done hyposalinity 110 times and this is the only time that fails, donno why. That's the reson I resort to copper. Fish don't show sign of itch now, but not time yet to remove copper. Problem now is skin erosion. Have read from RC & internet, that's why I don't dare to add medication now.

What's your water quality like? Do you ample aeration? Are you fishes looking stressed? Do you have any stray voltage. (HLLE is sometimes linked to stray voltage).

Perhaps a key factor in fish health is the removal of stress. If you have a lot of fishes fighting, for food or territory, it could also be a factor.

Try to improve the nutritional quality of the food given to them.... a healthy fish will faster recovery.

Good luck!

AT