tank crashed...

• SRC Member

Just got back from overseas... tank crashed. according to my mother, the BT and sailfin tangs started having white patches on them (ich i suppose) and it killed both of them. my clownfishes also had white film of stuff on them when they died too.

i've removed all dead LS. my crab and prawn are still alive.. placed them in sump. placed my LPS in sump tank too.

pls advise me what to do next. quite lost now... first time tank crash

now main tank only have some LR and alot of white pods thingy on the tank glass. i've added some super cooper medication thingy that my sis bought. sump and main tank are not linked yet.

help... :(

any pic ?

Humble tank :

Size: 4x2.5x2 ft - Display 

Equipment :

Return 1 : Ecotech marine L1

Return 2 : Ecotech marine M1

CR : Skimz CM122 - Caribsea extra course media with Grotech magnesium

Light : ATI 8x54W

Oh dear... quickly replace the water... the Super Copper Medication will do more harm to the tank... especially to the LR... you may wanna consider to start anew :(

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

install a UV steriliser

Humble tank :

Size: 4x2.5x2 ft - Display 

Equipment :

Return 1 : Ecotech marine L1

Return 2 : Ecotech marine M1

CR : Skimz CM122 - Caribsea extra course media with Grotech magnesium

Light : ATI 8x54W

Omg, you added copper to the tank, this would be a critical issue for your tank, as copper is not removable after you place them into your tank. Actually your tank is not crash, just that parasite is doing some trick to your LS, if your tank crash, your whole house will have a very bad smell. all LS will be dead, including shrimps. Right now, don't place any LS to the tank with copper, especially shrimps/crabs, they will die instantly. I think water change won't help either, unless you replace the LRs. Maybe you can get a Cu test kit to test the amount of Cu, if it's really not removable, you might consider transforming your tank to a fish only with live rocks tank (FOWLR).

• SRC Member

oh dear~ ya, like jervismun mentioned, replace the water asap, the super-copper medication might get absorbed by the LR...

Good thing your sump and main tank are not linked yet. cuz while marine ich / velvet does not affect invertebrates (ur shrimps/crabs), the copper definately's gonna kill 'em.

Since you are already using NSW, then replace with NSW. Its easier, since you are probably gonna change more than 50% of water (and perhaps more if you are gonna start anew). its more economy than to mix 100% of water with marine salt.

Since you have big species like BT and sailfin tangs, ur tank's probably quite big eh?

U might hate the idea of having to start anew (6-8 weeks of cycling or waiting for the life-cycle of ich-parasites to exhaust...)... it sux... but if you do NOT want to start anew, consider the following :

- Keep invertebrates and corals ONLY for the next 2-3 months (until the life-cycle of ich parasites totally exhaust.... since ich doesn't affect inverts and corals). This way, ur tank still stays beautiful~ starfish, pompom crabs, cleaner shrimps, hermit crabs, etc... lotsa corals~

-Only after this period do you slowly introduce fishes in... monitor for another period to see if it falls prey to ich again (it wun if u waited like > 2 months...)... then add more fishes if the first one stays healthy~

-Next thing ya know? Viola~! Ya back on track~ Cheers! :)

How does other reefers think of this method ? Comments welcome~

dancing_girl2.gifSpirit.gif

• SRC Member

oh shit....

the medication doesn't says if it contains copper not. it says 'Super Copper Safe'

for fresh and salt water tank

the precautions reads:

it is advisable to seperate invertebrates/species without skeleton from the marine tank while using "Super Copper Safe"

hope it doesn't contain copper.... :S

Emm... the product name sucks!!! It's quite misleading... how am I suppose to read it? "Super Copper" or "Copper Safe"... whatever it is... replace the water instantly... copper is the most effective treatment against ich... so I expect copper to be in there .

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member
Just got back from overseas... tank crashed. according to my mother, the BT and sailfin tangs started having white patches on them (ich i suppose) and it killed both of them. my clownfishes also had white film of stuff on them when they died too.

i've removed all dead LS. my crab and prawn are still alive.. placed them in sump. placed my LPS in sump tank too.

pls advise me what to do next. quite lost now... first time tank crash

now main tank only have some LR and alot of white pods thingy on the tank glass. i've added some super cooper medication thingy that my sis bought. sump and main tank are not linked yet.

help... :(

Bro,for the white pods on your glass tank,they are not ich and they cause no harm ;)

• SRC Member

think your tank is not crashed

u shouldn't have added that super copper thingee....run carbon, lots of it.carbon can absorb medication in water and change your water...change LOTS of it. 50-80% is wat i would do. not necessary all in 1 day. maybe today 20% tomorrow another 20% etc.

infact i think its an ich attack u had instead of a tank crash

leaving your tank without fishes for 2mths would have more or less settle it and adding fishes slowly later is already ok

with that medication u added i only worry for your lps corals or any invertebrate later when u place them back. pray that nothing happens.

hope things go well for u bro, nothing much we much the rest of us can say or do except for hope that things go well now cos of the medication u added

oh shit....

the medication doesn't says if it contains copper not. it says 'Super Copper Safe'

for fresh and salt water tank

the precautions reads:

it is advisable to seperate invertebrates/species without skeleton from the marine tank while using "Super Copper Safe"

hope it doesn't contain copper.... :S

Actually the bottle did indicate that there are copper content, from the quote you can see that the label on the bottle actually indicates that we should remove the inverts prior to addition of the Cu.