New Tank

:o hmm... ya he did talk out to his dad... but will see how. now out main motive is to make the current tank stable before moving tot he next step...

Thanks for all the advices u guys gave. :thanks:

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're welcome :lol: One thing for sure... if you guys can maintain this little tank and get it stabilized... you guys will have not problem at all handling a much larger tank (in terms of stability of parameters) :)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

hihi ic you hv 2 clowns in the tank... if u hv any int to get a carpet anemone for them, plse let me know as i m gonna decom my current tank soon n hv 3 health carpets to gv away... 3 different sizes available... the biggest size is abt 1ish ft in diameter n is home to my 2 common clowns... smallest is abt 3-4 inch across

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

Hey guys... when both of you log on using diff nick can be quite confusing lor... it took me a while to recall... I was like... I thought bro Dazza is not offering u leh... :o

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

haha yeah man a bit confusing hahaha... anyway no prob...will offer them when my new tank arrives... maybe will release back to the sea where i collected them frm... flourescent green... so far in my tank for abt 2 yrs n still doing well

Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

:lol: paiseh for the confusion.....

bro dazza, as for the carpet anemones due to our fish tank is so small so not sure if there space allowance for it ant and frm http://www.liveaquaria.com/ most of the carpet anemones are aggressive, so nt sure if it suit my tank. :nc:

oya can any of u guys teach us on how to set up a 4ft tank as in wat type of pump and filter media we need and oso on how the water flow thru the pipes... really need alot of help on this... :thanks:

anyway u guys are so pro.......

:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

Hehe... before we throw out all the crab brand, prawn brand, fish brand, octopus brand... you got a rough budget in mind? Like... not exceeding certain amount? Coz a super protein skimmer for a 4ft tank can easily costs $1500 :lol::lol::lol:

• SRC Member

yeah man ... depends oso lah on what u wanna keep n how much work u wanna put into it ... exp got exp play, cheap oso got cheap play lah but how cheap oso we r talking abt 4-5k

Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

how cheap oso we r talking abt 4-5k

Yupe... that's quite a realistic figure :)

• SRC Member

haha im trying to get 2nd hand item and for my 4ft tank and cupboard my dad say he sponsor mi lol... willing to get around 1.5k the most for all the 2nd hand items...

Emm... if all Pasar Malam... excl. tank and cabinet... perhaps lah... but must be quite modest when it comes to brand selection lor... if you good in DIY... "lagi" best!!!

• SRC Member

bro, you mention wanna go stoney coral right? sps? if sps, 1.5k is surely not enough.

if 2nd hand,

skimmer-beckett with pump around 400

wave maker- seio1100 for 80?

return- dart,eheim? at least 200

fr with phos- 120

chiller- brand new cl650 500

lightning- t5 around 300?

guess that the basic?

Member of

n34281892381_7606.jpg

Yupe you can get the essentials first... then while waiting for your tank to cycle... you can save up for the lighting & etc.... that's how this hobby works... unless you "kena" lottery lar :lol:

• SRC Member

i 'll be decom my 5 ft tank in abt 1-2 mths time... may hv some equipment to go... hv a gd 4 ft de t5 light set , a red sea classic skimmer, couple of eheim pumps to go ... if u still hvnt gotten yr equipment by then, u can gv me a call lah

Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

• SRC Member
i 'll be decom my 5 ft tank in abt 1-2 mths time... may hv some equipment to go... hv a gd 4 ft de t5 light set , a red sea classic skimmer, couple of eheim pumps to go ... if u still hvnt gotten yr equipment by then, u can gv me a call lah

Upgrading to a bigger tank :yeah: or giving up the hobby!!! :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

hi guys, i need some help on some question...

firstly, wat is strontium? and wat iz used for?

secondly, is there such things like having 3 different light , they say this is to make the fish think tat it is day , evening and night? then is 2 x 39watt blue light too bright for moonlight...

thirdly, is brown algaes cause by top up of fresh water? using DI water can help?

:thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks:

1) Strontium is used to promote growth to both soft and hard corals (according to AquaPharm)

2) Yes. 3 different light stages is ideal. Although some reefers think that moonlight is more like a gimmick but it is proven that a bit of light can help your LS navigate better at night as in nature, there is always the moon providing a hint of light.

3) Yes and no. Tap water contains Phosphates and etc. that can promote algae growth but it can also be other reasons that is causing algae outbreak. The best is to use DI water (especially if your tank is small). Some of us rely on Phosphate removal media such as Rowaphos and run it in FR to get rid of excess Phosphate. For your setup, it is advisable to use DI water :)

• SRC Member

bro jervis, i upgraded my tank to a 3ft by 2ft by 2.5ft tank liao and it will come on sunday i think.. i will post the pic of wat i bought...

im going to buy an ATI T5 6 x 39 watt Light 4 white 2 blue so im wondering if the moonlight iz too strong?

i oso bought a skimz FR to run but im afraid tat brown algaes will still come, so i wanted to use DI water as i experience it from my previous small tank, my whole tank was cover by brown algaes and it cover some of my corals and even my sands.... sad:cry2:'

wat do i have to do to improve strontium?

:thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks:

bro jervis, i upgraded my tank to a 3ft by 2ft by 2.5ft tank liao and it will come on sunday i think.. i will post the pic of wat i bought...

im going to buy an ATI T5 6 x 39 watt Light 4 white 2 blue so im wondering if the moonlight iz too strong?

i oso bought a skimz FR to run but im afraid tat brown algaes will still come, so i wanted to use DI water as i experience it from my previous small tank, my whole tank was cover by brown algaes and it cover some of my corals and even my sands.... sad:cry2:'

wat do i have to do to improve strontium?

:thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks:

Hahaha... great to hear that!!! Wah you have a larger tank than me... around 20% more in water volume (not incl. you sump).

ATI Powermodul is good. Do check if the stock has arrived... most probably no stock. The 6 tubes version only have 2 power plugs, so you do not have moonlight. The Blue is pretty bright and will not give you the moonlight effect... don't worry, the moonlight can come in later.

Again, yes and no. I'm running my tank using filtered tap water, although algae is visible... but no outbreak so far coz I invest in nutrient control media. If you already have a Skimz FR (I suppose with Aquapharm SORB-4), your tank should be pretty alright. Of course, it's better to use DI water... but for me, DI is less convenient and I do have proper equipments to take care of the extra nutrients.

There are a lot of brands out there that offers Strontium dosing... I was previously using Kent Marine, now Aquapharm.

• SRC Member

yo bro Javier ... my new 3 by 3 by 2.5 tank coming on thurs hahaha just went to hit a few "toys" from RD today.. cost me an arm... well we can go chiong together pretty soon i geuss haha... is still hvnt decided on teh lights yet... mh or t5 hmmm tough question...

Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :