New Tank

• SRC Member

hi guys, i need ur advise on the follow:

1) why my cleanser shrimp shell will drop out? iz change shell? when i come back from work i saw its shell like the shape of his head and i thought it was attack by the stupid hairy crab and to my surprise its still alive...

2) another thing, why my nemo refuse to let my cleanser shrimp clear its white spot on his body?

3) lastly, why my ammonia = 0 , nitrate = 1mg , but my nitrite is always so high from 0.05mg - 0.1mg...

:thanks:

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
hi guys, i need ur advise on the follow:

1) why my cleanser shrimp shell will drop out? iz change shell? when i come back from work i saw its shell like the shape of his head and i thought it was attack by the stupid hairy crab and to my surprise its still alive...

2) another thing, why my nemo refuse to let my cleanser shrimp clear its white spot on his body?

3) lastly, why my ammonia = 0 , nitrate = 1mg , but my nitrite is always so high from 0.05mg - 0.1mg...

:thanks:

Let me try:

1) Shrimp will change shell only in good water parameter and good iodine leve (thus we dose iodine not just for the coral)

2) At time it may be shrimp refuse to clean fishs especially when they growth quite big and feeding on fish food instead. But I heard that the fish was need to get use to the shrimp inorder to click... Docter (cleaner) wrasse fish is a better choice but hard to mantain them for a long period

3) ANN - Waste if not extracted from your tank will become Ammonia to Nitrite to Nitrate. Maybe your tank don't have enough nitifiying bateria as it still very new.

I still learning, so maybe those "Old Bird" can advise better :paiseh:

I am no "old bird" but here's my try:

1) It's a process called molting... if the shells irritate you, remove them. They usually dissolves after a few days (in a big tank)

2) Not all fishes allow cleaner shrimps to touch them... a good anemone can help keep Nemo healthy and happy... but i am not suggesting you get one coz the "Hiroshima" effect can easily wipe out your entire tank including the bacterias!!!

3) Listen to the "guru" (Altantis)... he is right. Do continue to add Nitrifying Bacteria (according to the bottle instructions)... and slow down in stocking. When all the Nitrite is to be converted to Nitrate (a less harmful form)... you will have to find ways to get rid of them.

Let me add something...

Your method:

Less efficient skimming = more nutrients to be broken down by N.Bacts = end product Nitrate will still be left in your tank to be dealth with. Unfortunately, Nitrate will not disperse into the air or something.

My method:

Sufficient skimming (coz I am not using some super efficient skimmer, yet) = nutrients to be broken down by N.Bacts (due to heavy stocking) = end product Nitrate will be reduced and controlled using my Nitratreductor 1000. The anaerobic bacteria inside the NR1000 will convert Nitrate into Nitrogen... so upon returning to the main tank (in drips) the Nitrogen will escape into the air... hence a bit of bad-egg smell.

Better method (for certain/demandind circumstances):

Highly effective skimming = low nutrients to be broken down by N.Bacts = not much end product Nitrate to be taken care of later... coz most of the nutrients were extracted out in the very beginning. But this could mean low nutrient water for some nutrient loving corals esp. some LPS.

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

B) update again...

bought a T5 light (total:32W) which can switch to moonlight and white light frm ah beng's shop yesterday and oso a hermit crab. is tis the Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crab??

newtoy_t5light.jpg

DwarfBlueLegHermitCrab.jpg

Next i oso bought LS such as 2 clown fish frm iwarna days ago...

but yesterday white spot was found on one of the clown fish's body, it was dead tis morning even though we took it out for curing . :cry:

couple.jpg

took before it gone to heaven...

jewel.jpg

Jewel open half way... still on the was of opening it even bigger...

therefore, final update of my tank:

LS

============

orange starfish x 1

clown fish x 1

###### x 2

Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crab x 1

sea cucumber x 1

cleanser shrimp x 1 (have been more and more tham jia, evertime put food in it will chase for it super fast) :yeah:

pink cauli x 1

star poly x 1

hairy mushroom x 1

purple mushroom x 1

Jewel x 1 ( in a veri good condition as it able to open till veri big)

zoos x 1

tube worm x1

Water parameter

==============

Ammonia = 0mg

Nitrate = 1mg

Nitrite between 0.05mg - 0.1mg

P.H = 8.3

tankupdate1.jpg

• SRC Member

Doesn't look like T5 leh...

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

Melvyn: ya, i'm sure that it is T5 light for a 45cm tank and the brand is rainbow. :)

• SRC Member
nice. goniopora is opening nicely. and stars too. the tank is doin ok.

Melvyn Tan, not t5s? is it because there's no brand name printed?

What has brand name got to do with it???

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member
Melvyn: ya, i'm sure that it is T5 light for a 45cm tank and the brand is rainbow. :)

Pardon me, i may be wrong cause i read somewhere that industry standard available lengths comes in 2,3,4 & 5ft and T5s can be categorise as Normal Output and High Output, i refer to the following for reference T5 Lamps

T5 means the diameter of the tube is 5/8 inch

NO output are lower, the lowest for 2ft is 14w at 22in or 56cm

Maybe there are new lengths available, i dunno.

4x2x2 Tank Thread

I love those Pink Brocolli!!! Very nice!!! I heard they can be quite demanding... as long as you guys are changing water weekly (shouldn't be hard with 2 pairs of hands) I believe your corals will stay fit and happy :-)

Don't worry about white spots too much... they do happen... remember... if it happens again, don't panic and buy some medication and dose your tank... it will (most probably) wipe out your entire tank :shock:

And looking at the brightness of your tank... I got a feeling it is not High Output T5. But nevertheless it is good enough for your tank size... the expansion of your Gonio is the proof... I'm sure.

Guys, I'm sure Melvyn Tan knows what he's talking about and not everyone is as brand concious as me :evil::evil::evil:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

hmm... nt sure if it high output ant cos the previous light was slip out of hand then *blomp* drop into the tank... :( then few days ltr spoil then went to the ah beng 's to buy mushroom then they recommand us tis. :unsure:

sorry bro melvyn... :pinch:

btw, how to see if it a high o/p or the oppsitE?

currently my jewel let the nemo buay till lyk hlf of the side open then the other half close... haha...

:eyebrow: my SO's dad allow him to upgrade his tank to a either 3ft or 4ft. hee...

hopefully next post will be the grading post soon... :upsidedown:

WOW!!! Upgrading so fast!!! IMO should go for 4ft coz my 3ft is way too short to really play with the scaping. With 4ft you can have 2 Tunzes facing each other (like bro Altantis Atlantis tank) :)

• SRC Member

Why not go all the way, 6ft...

I kinda regret a bit when Bro Roidan says why not go all the way to 6ft when viewing his beautiful tank...else will be having a 6ft and 3ft at current. Now 4ft and 3ft...

4x2x2 Tank Thread

Wow... 6ft? Emm... that's a different ball game altogether... IMO once the tank reaches a certain scale... you really gotto start seriously look at the equipments you buy... no more cheap China immitation... must get the real thing already... thats just my personal opinion btw and I'm sure some bros agree with me :)

• SRC Member

Agree...

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member
hmm... nt sure if it high output ant cos the previous light was slip out of hand then *blomp* drop into the tank... :( then few days ltr spoil then went to the ah beng 's to buy mushroom then they recommand us tis. :unsure:

sorry bro melvyn... :pinch:

btw, how to see if it a high o/p or the oppsitE?

currently my jewel let the nemo buay till lyk hlf of the side open then the other half close... haha...

:eyebrow: my SO's dad allow him to upgrade his tank to a either 3ft or 4ft. hee...

hopefully next post will be the grading post soon... :upsidedown:

hi sis.....

B4 u wan to upgrade u better consider afew things 1st....

1)R u reali into it with ur BF in tis hobby??Its gog to b a diff concept n maintenance for a 3ft n 4ft tank..More time will b put into it unlike ur current tank now....Do u mind him spending more time on e tank then with u????

2)Does he set up e tank bec of u or is he reali interested in it too???If not,its gog to b beri e tedious for him lor.......

Better think of tis 1st b4 u upgrade.........Piesei dun meant to "pour u cold water"... :P

N if both of u r into it,better to go for 4ft if u got e space n $$$...Or else u will find tat u wan to upgrade in no time AGAIN....keke..

Got a feeling bro jervis will b upgrading soon kekeke...... :lol:

Got a feeling bro jervis will b upgrading soon kekeke...... :lol:

Yes the whole world is waiting... already got waiting list for my Percula 90!!! :yeah::yeah::yeah:

Yes sis, do consider carefully. It's not easy to maintain a big tank. Money aside... it's the time put in... changing water is a lot more tedious... siphoning out the water for a 4ft tank will take a berry long time compared to your tank... but when it comes to reefing... nothing beats the real thing... and getting a sizeable tank is a very good first step. That's why I upgraded from a Nano Cube to a 3ft within 6 weeks... it's just so much more fun!!!

• SRC Member

sis, just now at my house you also see the number of reactors i have, they dont come cheap, and those light those heat, they will increase the electric bill by alot, my house bill went up around 90+ after getting the tank and i only have a few pumps and those are german pumps which use less power and release lesser heat. the media the food and the purchases to stock up the tank will be much more then your current tank. of course if you ever set up your tank, i will help out if you two require my help.

Member of

n34281892381_7606.jpg

of course if you ever set up your tank, i will help out if you two require my help.

What bro said is so so true... my bill also shoot up... but since both of you are into it... definitely worth the money lar... I'm spending all the money and only enjoying it alone :(

All said, I'm sure you guys will manage with 2 x the income and 2 x the effort... in fact it may even bring you guys closer together... learning together... definitely better than Orchard shopping... buying Gucci bags... watching movies and clubbing... this is a special hobby for special people... yeah I am special ;););)

Let's start the fire!!! :evil::evil::evil::evil:

And so nice... already got help offer :)

• SRC Member

but i doubt they are the one paying the bills. so it will be better to explain to their parent first before proceeding, if not the bill suddenly shoot up, thing might get abit bad. sorry bro, i dont mind shopping for gucci bag if i got the cash! the way i see my gf mother shop in those stores like there is no tomorrow, i am just so envious.

Member of

n34281892381_7606.jpg

• SRC Member
WOW!!! Upgrading so fast!!! IMO should go for 4ft coz my 3ft is way too short to really play with the scaping. With 4ft you can have 2 Tunzes facing each other (like bro Altantis Atlantis tank) :)

Yes. I here... someone metioned about me :D

:lol::lol: actually i'm nt the one who is anxious abt upgrading or should i say actually i onil lyk to see the tank than handling it... he is the one who wanted to start tis hobby... so now i'm happily watching my 2 clownfish swimming round and round and round the tank playing with the wave... :rolleyes:

Hmm... ya, we have talk abt things to do after the upgrading therefore the upgrading wont be so fast yet, maybe few mths ltr cos nid to save $$ as now the pocket 1 big hole liaoz... but am luckly to say dat the tank wouldn't cost us much as his aunt's bf is a contractor on making glasses.

hmm.. as for the time he spend on tank will it be more on me... all i can say i used to it liaoz... he forever got new thing he will get so into it... he juz say goodbye to his DOTA nt long ago and now the marine fish... :evil::evil:

but at least it much more healthier than playing DOTA 24/7... :angel:

w3ish3ng: ya.. thanks for ur thingy and so much intro abt ur tank although both of us still don understand but will try to learn more...and do more reading up. But of cos i think we still nid you guys to help us out the way..

wow.. i oso envy ur gf's mom so much, able to shop for gucci bag lyk no tomorrow... how i wish i got such a good life.. lolz... :yeah: *still daydreaming of being a tai tai* :yeah:

Next, abt the electrical bill... ya i think he has already talk abt it to both his parents and both agree to let him upgrade.

• SRC Member

my new bill just come 300+, got nagged by my mother. so you better make sure really is everything is talked out. as for shopping gucci like there is no tomorrow, that is easy, just go marry a rich indonesian will do. they are really flithy rich.

Member of

n34281892381_7606.jpg