New Tank

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

godzillaliu88... im sure its not a crab.. coz it looks like worm size crippy crawling with its hair to reach out for food and its transparent in colour.

:erm: sorry the digi cam is with my now, nt with him.... so was unable to show any pic at the moments...

As for the fish tank, i try to snap another tml and update it... :erm:

Think lyk tis fish tank is lyk a gone case liaoz... :cry2::cry2:

we need a pic to help u ID betta...

most probably the bristtle worms.....

I think I know what's that... don't worry, they are just some filter feeders... harmless.

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Javier... don't give up... you just reminded me starting up a new tank with uncured LR can be so much fun :) I bought my LR from fellow reefers, so mostly very clean, no surprises and no fun stuff :)

I still think you can try Hypersalinity the LR to remove the worms and crabs. It's fun to see them crawl out for help!!!

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

:unsure: Errr.... can i know right now, what is the best things me and my SO can do to save tis tank? Both of us kinda confuse with so many things... Theres good and bad...

What is the best solution u guys think we shpuld do right now?? :nc:

• SRC Member

hard to take photo of it, the hair is too tiny to c... but i will try to take some... anyway it have alot of hair... u think its harmless? :unsure:

Bro and sis... you want the ultimate advice? Don't worry... that's the wonderful thing about nature... there isn't good and bad... they are all interlinked... if you wish not to do anything to the LR, that's acceptable too. How many of us really go and ID every single creature on the LR? Turn your focus on the equipments, lifestock research and water parameters instead... before you know it... time to upgrade to a 2ft tank :)

• SRC Member

aiyooo dun get too obssessed with these stuff la...imagine your tank so small got so many photos, those bros with 5ft 6ft tank going to siao liao. :lol:

relaxxxxx, just leave them alone, some will live some will die, then after your tank mature leaw then u start looking at wat is left and decide if they are good or bad.

eg, if its a tube worm, u will see it open etc etc

some of the things now can confirm is not good. for me personally, i'd just take the rocks out and soak in freshwater 10-15min. leech po4 bo pian, the good thing is got po4 remover. better than 6mths down the road got some stupid crab, big worm or mantis shrimp running around inside, then by that time when u got fish and corals its gonna be SUPER hard to try to catch them, think bout it.

BUT if your tank already got things inside like fish etc, then u better dun try this method cos its gonna kill off most of the good bacteria which converts ammonia to no2 then to no3....and u haf to cycle your tank after that.

so if u already have fish etc, what u can do is...use EPOXY!!! paste over every damn thing that irritates you. i do that for the yellow hydriods in my tank. and it works

Take it easy like the others said. I always hear all kinda sound in my tank and used to keep worrying about Mantis Shrimps. If really there try to catch lor, if cannot find then also lan lan. I have some aitipsia in my tank too but they will not be a problem once you get your water under control. Hairy crabs are bad but just take your time to try trapping them (almost impossible to catch without removing the rocks). Sit back, relax, and enjoy the view. This hobby is to destress, not make you more stressed.

True true... seems like you guys are way too stressed... enjoy the hobby :) If you guys too free now (while waiting for things to settle down)... why don't you share with us your lifestock plan? You must be extra careful when stocking as the tank is small and "lid-less"... so there are some species you shall avoid :o

• SRC Member

What are the current LS inside?

If not much can take out the LRs and give a freshwater bath lor.

and try to shake out the harmful hitchhikers as well while doing FW

Project R.E.

Main Tank: 48" x 18" x 24" 12mm with external overflow piping

Sump Tank: 28" x 14.5" x 12" (3 compartments)

Lightings: T5 HO - Hopar 3* 39w + ATI 2* 54w

Skimmer: Skimz Bullet Beckett

Chiller: Resun CL-650 (28 - 29 °C)

Wavemakers: 2* Seio M620 + 1* Hydor K2 (7100 litre / hr)

Fluidized Reactor: Skimz FR (currently empty)

Pumps: 1x Rio 32HF (Skimmer), 1x Rio 20HF (Return & Chiller)

Filtration: more than 80kg LRs, chaeto

Water Circulation: ~ 4000 litre / hr

Future Plans: additional wavemaker, DIY algae scrubber, DIY overflow box

Previously:

Project R : 36" x 12" x 24" 10mm reef

haha... both of us trying to relax but those surprises are juz coming way too fast... rite now.. i think the tank got more pest than more good stuffs.

sooo.... we decided to tk the liferock to soak with freshwater as we onil got lyk 7-10 LRs.

As for live stock due to such a small tank, we onil intend to have 2 clown fish, 1 cleanser shrimps and maybe 2/3 soft corals.

If this tank is bale to success, after gaining all these experience maybe we will upgrade to a bigger tank lyk a 2ft tank? keke....

• SRC Member

try not to soak the liverocks for more den 5mins as u'll kill the good stuff or bacterias that's on the rocks as well... normally once u put the liverocks into freshwater... u'll see many unwanted hitchhikers scurrying out in the open... u can den proceed to exterminate them :lol:

“Frogs have it easy, they can eat what bugs them”

"If you have no critics you'll likely have no success."

- Malcolm X

Glory Glory Man Utd!

DeZ aka Desmond

• SRC Member

jus now i soak all the live rocks with fresh water for 5 mins but very little thing came out and its not wat i seen, so i decided to soak for 15mins and alot of hikers came out.. here are some of the pics taken jus now... pls give mi advise on this... :thanks::thanks:

pic1: 11.jpg

pic2: 22.jpg

pic3: 33.jpg

pic4: 44.jpg

pic5: 55.jpg

pic6: 66.jpg

pic7: 77.jpg

The orange spots are some sorta sponge, they are harmless. The snail can throw back into the tank (if not dead already). The white spots... can't really tell. The rest can go down the chute :o

Well done bro!!!

• SRC Member

lol i jus force a MINI BRITTLE STARS out of the stone and it havent die... hope tat i can keep it big.. oya about the white spot, will it be those bug's egg? coz at 1st my LR got alot and i remove them all.. and i soak in fresh water, alot of small inserts swimming around... :erm:

• SRC Member

so wat should i look out for after i soak the live rocks with fresh water? PO4 = prophates? and wat else must i look out for... need u guys advise. :thanks:

• SRC Member

One of the most likely thing to happen when you soak Indonesian LRs (here im assuming u got your LRs other than CF) in freshwater is this:

1. you kill pests

2. you also kill useful living organisms

3. being Indo rocks, they are more dense and what is like to happen is that the rocks starts to die off from outside towards the inner core.. and when you do not allow the whole liverock to die completely without cycling the rocks, problems is that when u start the system, the rocks start leeching out nutrients which will be a slow ticking BOMB IMO

soaking the LRs in FW is a real suicidal method, unless you were thinking of cooking the LRs completely and that probably would take no less than 6 weeks

just my 2cents :pinch:

post-304-1148825424.gifmadboy.gifmadboy.gifmadboy.gif

That just because someone doesn’t love you the way you want them to,

doesn’t mean they don’t love you with all they have.

Ok now what you need to do is wait and monitor your water parameters... since you've done something drastic to the LR (as mentioned by bro Aquabeanz) you will have to go through the painful process of cycling all over again.

Depends on what kinda person you both are... if you guys are the patient type... then spend the extra time learning... the curing of LR / A N N cycling will probably take 3 weeks at least.

Another suggestion... if space is not a constraint, you may also wanna consider upgrading it to a 2 footer right away... I can see the passion in both of you and maintaining a tiny little tank offers not much fun as you can easily fill it up within a day or two... I got this feeling that you guys can afford a larger system... go for it!!! Doesn't have to be complicated or high-end but you do need a proper protein skimmer.

If you are interested... we can discuss this further... I'm sure a lot of bros out there can help you guys set up a dream tank... a larger one.

Oh... a larger tank is more stable in terms of water parameters... I used to run a 24G Nano Cube, everytime something happens in the tank, I will panic coz I know the impact is gonna be great... now I can relax a bit... even a fish is to go missing... :lol: