Giesemann System Nova II

• SRC Member

hi anyone can tell me whether it's true that 150watts HQI are equivilent to normal 250watts bulbs? (got info frm reefcentral)

is two of Giesmann System Nova II hanging side by side too big for a 3fter?

does HQI bulbs have any degree of hotness

if no can i use 2 150watts/250watts HQI daylight and supplement by T5 actinic

will 4-6 actinic be too much or can anyone give me any combination whether

how many tubes i shld use and whether it's actinic blue or blueplus?

TIA

• SRC Member

150W would not have a higher than 250W MH if driven bot hare driven by pulse start ballasts. The readings taken for DE bulbs by Sanjay were done without UV shielding that's why the PAR value appears to be very high.

Daylight is 6500K. 10000K will be more preferable. The number of actinics or blue tubes you want to use depends on your preference and there's no way we can decide for you. I'll recommend that you take a look at actual tanks with the interested lighting system such that you can make your judgement.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

hey i saw Ian's 4fter lighting and i like it very much...izzit suitable for 3fter ...

will be asking for more info though!

thanks alot...

BTW does 6500k combine with radium provide more growth and better colouration or izzit the 10kk wan better... cos tot i saw alot of 6500k and radium and i like the colour very much and that iwasaki 6500k promote good coral growth....that's why i wanted that combination!

does T5 actinic and 20kk MH have the same PAR value?

Who deals best with ballast in SRC need to ask some Q on that

! TIA

• SRC Member

I would not advise you to get a Radium Saki combination for your 3 footer. The colors of the two bulbs are distinctly different, and you are going to have a blue tank on one side and a yellow-green tank on the other side. It might be possible to position both bulbs in a single line behind each other and not have the banding problem, but you need at least a 2.5 feet wide tank to accomodate this.

A 20K MH light would put out more par than a T5.

BTW, are you planning to keep SPS corals? If you are not, you should not have to worry about these things.

• SRC Member

yap i'm planning for sps but if i put them in a single line behind one another...and get a 2.5 ftwide width...will it be enough for the coverage of the whole tank or jus the center?

pospeh...do u recommend double 6500k with T5 actinic supplement...

by the way which of this has a bluer look T5 actinic or blueplus...

How much supplement wld give me the look of the 6500k and 20kk combination?

Thnks!

Coral Clams... don't advise you to start SPS until you get your feet wet with soft corals and then progressing to easier to keep hard corals first.

After about a year when your tank is matured... and you have gone thru all the usual algae blooms and gained enough experience in maintaining your tank... then you can try SPS.

Judging by your questions, you have a lot more to learn and it's not just a matter of application but understanding what everything's supposed to DO and WHY it works and HOW it applies and WHAT to do when something goes wrong.

Plus you should save $$$ to get your equipment first... not just lights, but skimmers, calcium reactors, water circulation devices, additives, test kits, chiller etc. Are you financially committed to these expenses? Will your parents object?

Don't mean to sound discouraging but you have to face reality.

• SRC Member

thanks AT ,will heed your advice and start slowly from soft corals first...

have already decided on the other equipments budgets except the lighting problems...

unless the situation calls for it at the eleventh hour , every thing should follow as plan...

probably some problems with financial difficulties but parents should be able to pay for a start with monthly if start saving now and get my equips slowly and then bills i 'll pay when i get a part time job after my 'O'! that 's about it...

if start with soft corals first,, probably i 'll minimise on the lightings hours first and bills wun be that ex$$ rite...

So i'll see what happens then...now i'll jus gain experience from my FOWLR first and obtaining info from u guys as well as websites and books and maybe some Questions if i dun understand...wld love to visit some of your tanks maybe in the december holidays!!!

Happy reefing!

BTW are sponges suitable with jus FL?

• SRC Member

Sponges don't need light so they aren't too bothered by the lack of it.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif