Colin's refurbished Partition Tank

colinsoon

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

injuries time. my favourite sun stung by my plate. no idea how it reached the other side. must be shifted by my mum. haiz. heart painz...

dun worry dude.. it will recover in no time :).. does not look that injured to me.. my octo stung 2 heads of my suns once... and they recovered in a few weeks..

just be sure to place them in a save spot can le...

good luck! :D

• SRC Member

made this improved version of moonlight with 20LEDs and an adjustable voltage adaptor with 400mA output.

ran it for 20 hours already, no burn outs as yet.

funny thing is, when i set it at 3V and used a multimeter to test it, it reads 5V. when i set it to 1.5 V den the multimeter reads 3V. but the LEDs will all flicker...

post-34-1155279916.jpg

made this improved version of moonlight with 20LEDs and an adjustable voltage adaptor with 400mA output.

funny thing is, when i set it at 3V and used a multimeter to test it, it reads 5V. when i set it to 1.5 V den the multimeter reads 3V. but the LEDs will all flicker...

Wah bro... you really DIY king leh!!! :lol: Amazing! Flicker nice lah... can simulate glimmering effect better :lol:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

hmmmm no la. i where got king.. i admire chris more leh...

haha i inserted it into a plastic tube, with plastic end caps, so that it is totally waterproof.

1 lesson learnt from this, that is not to use copper boards already used. cos the solder just will not stick onto the copper, and the LEDs will screw up accordingly too. you will notice from the top foto that the middle 3 LEDs are dimmer then the others. and also quite loose. although i used hell of a lot of solder on it already.

think i am gonna make another nicer one...

• SRC Member

the reason is.

the LED the longer leg is '+' and the shorter leg is '-'

LED when connected correctly. there's something called the 'forward bais'.

each LED will add abt 0.3V to the total V.

if u connect the shorter leg to the '+' terminal. the it's a 'reverse bias'.

each LED will -0.3V from the total V.

so maybe u connect the LED wrongly lor. that's why will flicker.

• SRC Member

thanx for all the information.

i am actually quite aware of that long leg short leg thingie. and all the LEDs are connected in the correct manner. unless there is manufacturing default.

the flickering only occurs when the voltage passed through each LED is lower then 1.5V. which should not really occur, when you study semiconductor fundamentals. but that is not the point.

with regards to forward bias and reverse bias, i would like to emphasize again unless there is manufacturing default of the most coincidental kind, there should not be a wrong placement.

oh just FYI, when you reverse bias connect the LEDs practically. it will not light up. or the light emitted is totally insignificant.

• SRC Member

WAHH ! EEE sure taught u alot ... haha ... i gonna run down to sim lim tml to get blue LEDs... anyways ... have you taught about implementing a LDR into circuit? i was thinking out tt ... tt way ... it will turn on automatically when the lights go out ... instead of having to turn it on or connect a timer ...

was desperately trying to find out how to use the LDR but i lost all my lecture notes.. haha ...

• SRC Member

was actually thinking of that. but then, thinking bout it, the moonlights will be on for 16 hours, since the light period of my T5s are like 8 hours. so meaning, as long as the lights are not on the moonlight will be on. not very healthy for the LEDs. haha