Colin's refurbished Partition Tank

colinsoon

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bro Soul mentioned before... sprinkle some Rowaphos on to your sand bed (especially those spots with diatom appearing)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

most expensive thing i purchased that comes in so small a bottle...

but at least its working.

hope it can last for a while. before i change the media again. 3 months would be nice.

hey mate, i think u might have to replace the Rowa once every month. It all depends on how many fishes u keep also. . :)

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

• SRC Member

Most ppl would use tap water to wash the new sand then placing into the tank during the initial setup causing nutrients to be in the sand. There isnt much u can do now except increase flow at the areas effected or try wat i suggested which is burying rowaphos bits here and there to minimise growth and spread.

The correct way to cure/clean the sand during setup is to use DI or RO water instead of direct tap water.

Most ppl would use tap water to wash the new sand then placing into the tank during the initial setup causing nutrients to be in the sand. There isnt much u can do now except increase flow at the areas effected or try wat i suggested which is burying rowaphos bits here and there to minimise growth and spread.

The correct way to cure/clean the sand during setup is to use DI or RO water instead of direct tap water.

DI-RO unit is very good. Only downside is the long term cost especially if u have a huge tank or u like to do frequent water changes. :)

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

• SRC Member

hmmm. i tested my tap water using the same kit, it reads zero. so i guess there is not much detectable phosphates in the tank. but then, it sounds a little too good to be true ya...?

will monitor the phos levels. once it goes up and doesnt come down i will know its time to change the media... thanx acidjazz and jacobus for the input.

dun think i can like add rowa under the sand now, cos i got sea cukes, which i seriously think that they will somehow or rather consume the media. last thing i wan is the cukes dying cos they ate something that should not be there... cant increase the flow rate too. cos i got no idea how to do so without screwing up the water flow inside the tank..

• SRC Member

i am actually trying to avoid turbos.. cos i had a few in the past, and they kept toppling my corals. last thing i need from them is that... thanks for the suggestion though..

any other possible remedies?

thanx bros for helping me out...

• SRC Member

heres something i did ... take a stick or something ... stir the water just above the diatom patch ( 1inch above the SB ) in a circular motion ... like your trying to make a whirlpool .. once the topmost layer of sand begins to float up ... scoop it up with a net .. becareful not to stir too strongly as it will mess up ur tank.

note this is a delicate operation.. haha

it will stress your livestock too but this is the cheapest way to clear it off..... unless u want to buy a siphon tube ... that would be better la ..

• SRC Member

bought a huge piece of LR from AM juz now, and along with the remaining pieces of LR that my friend passed me, i throughly rescaped the tank again. took me 3 hours. took the chance to also try to clear away the diatoms on the SB.. used a net to scoop up the sand with diatoms from the SB, then after collecting all, washed them before returning them to the tank...

tried to do a pretty huge pillar at the end, but discovered that it doesnt look nice, cos the tank is too short.. and too tall..

a half hour after recaping...

post-34-1155039776.jpg