What liquid should I add after setting up new tank

Hi Bros,

Need your valuable advice what liquid should I add now to makes the water stay clear and healty for future fish and coral after setting up my 2' x 18" marine tank yestersday. Salt in a good condition now and using adjustable water fall filter. Btw comment my water fall filter is it ok to use ? Because saw a lot of bubbles there if too fast. :thanks:

• SRC Member

Should be ok if you don't intend to add lots of LSs... Else get a canister filter instead..

Don't be so quick to add additives and stuff to get water to the right "shape". Get your water parameters right first.. You have not even gone through the cycling phase yet.... read up on water cycling.

Hope you have all your Ammonia, NO2 & NO3 test kits ready.

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member

Hi Ali, Welcome to this hobby!

As u've mentioned, you are having a 2 feet tank. And you have added in Salt (in good condition?).

Regarding your question of wat liquid to add, do you mean additives (or chemicals/solutions)? At this stage of starting up the tank, you do not need any of these yet , except maybe for a bottle of Nitrifying Bacteria.

Before we can go on further to help you, you need to tell us what you have in your tank already. Preferably, a picture will tell a thousand words. In addition, do you have a Sump tank? Or its just a single standalone tank?

As a starting up tank, I hope you have got the following in place (other reefers, pls feel free to correct me, or add in if I left anything out).

**Ali : Do take note that equipment-wise, there are budgeted ones and expensive ones, so before any of the more richer reefers here introduce u the expensive expensive stuff, dun be scared off ya?**

Assuming you are having a standalone tank, without sump tank...

1) Live Rocks (this is to house bacteria; bacterias help to break down the Bioload and keep the water clean to a certain extent)

2) Live Sand (Grade 0, or 1, or 2, or a mixture; 0 being finest, 3 being coarse sand)

3) Protein Skimmer (For your tank size, if u are going budgeted, a Weipro 2011 will do... very cheap~ This is a MUST)

4) Surface Skimmer (Marine tank is unlike that of fresh water, the dirt floats above the surface rather than sink to the bottom, and wat you get is a layer of "oil" or "jelly" on the water surface. This has to be rid off of. Still, this is optional at this stage, since u will be cycling ur waters, you only need this when u have fishes/livestocks)

Well, not much to say here.... at least when these items are in place, u can start cycling your waters... Go read up on the ANN cycle ya?

All the best to your new hobby~

dancing_girl2.gifSpirit.gif

Hi Guys, thanks for the advice at least now i'm in 55/100 knowledge now.. :rolleyes: ..

Hehe bro... you are just starting right from 0... trust me... it takes a long long time (and lot's of newbies mistakes) to really capture what the ocean is all about... me 3 months in the hobby, progressing extremely fast (too fast in fact) and still learning a few new things everyday... don't worry, take it slow... it's ok to do some newbie mistakes here and there... just be careful about 2 very crucial issues:

1, Electircal - don't play play... disaster #1

2. Salt water - try your best to keep the water inside your tank... if you sorta anticipate something, trust me it will happen... disaster #2

Welcome to the club!!! :lol:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica