Plumbing help

Tigger

• SRC Member

Just install an eheim 1262 to a 15mm piping. This 15mm piping is connected to a male and female joint. Problem is that the female side is leaking. Have already silicon the female joint. Interface between the glass tank and female joint is leaking. By using a rubber O ring, will it help to stop the leak?? Think rubber O ring will harden over time in salt water rite. Plumbing expert pls help! :(:cry2:

• SRC Member

I think you should silicon the male part to the lobang in the tank wall first, then apply teflon tape to the male thread before you crew on the female, and not silicon the female to the wall. cuz if its leaking btween the tank and the female part, it means its leaking either btwn the male and the hole in the wall or at the srew threads. (but using gasket is def much better)

• SRC Member

tigger so did you use gasket or not? if you did use gasket on both sides of the wall plus teflon tape on the male screw thread, then you shouldn't have any leaks to begin with. try to tighten it more till it doesn't leak. no pt using silicon to stop leaks cuz then you'll still be relying purely on silicon and the gasket doesn't serve any purpose.

if you only siliconed, then you have to be careful cuz silicon doesn't stick to PVC very well at all. you can simply peel it off if you try. so point is after a while it may still leak.

• SRC Member

No . Me still use Silicon. Wat I did was apply silicon to between the joints. Due to the xtra space btw the tank (3/4"~18mm) and PVC tube (15mm), I pump in silicon to fill this gap. After which I screw in the male and female joint(also applied Silicon to them). Running for 24 hrs now. no leak. I agreed that Si dont stick well to PVC, so I would not disturb the PVC pipe

• SRC Member

tigger: hope you don't mind me saying this (a bit kaypoh :paiseh: ), but why don't you use a gasket? since you prob will use the tank for a long long time, might as well seal it properly? cuz its really hard to say, over say a few months, the silicon may slowly give way or one day someone might accidentally knock the pvc parts or pull the hose?