Cycling Of Tank

• SRC Member

Bro, for a start, dun have to get those super ex test kits.

I've been using the Tetra brand for a year, so far so good.

And dun run ur skimmer while cycling the tank. Never.

Project R.E.

Main Tank: 48" x 18" x 24" 12mm with external overflow piping

Sump Tank: 28" x 14.5" x 12" (3 compartments)

Lightings: T5 HO - Hopar 3* 39w + ATI 2* 54w

Skimmer: Skimz Bullet Beckett

Chiller: Resun CL-650 (28 - 29 °C)

Wavemakers: 2* Seio M620 + 1* Hydor K2 (7100 litre / hr)

Fluidized Reactor: Skimz FR (currently empty)

Pumps: 1x Rio 32HF (Skimmer), 1x Rio 20HF (Return & Chiller)

Filtration: more than 80kg LRs, chaeto

Water Circulation: ~ 4000 litre / hr

Future Plans: additional wavemaker, DIY algae scrubber, DIY overflow box

Previously:

Project R : 36" x 12" x 24" 10mm reef

• SRC Member
2nd hand.. :( sigh.. first power on like that le

Erm, what actually happened? Did you buy it off a reefer? Maybe you can check with him if it's been working before he sold it to you....a more generous reefer might offer to refund you, afterall...you haven't even started to use it.

My Newbie Tank Thread

My Blog

All pics taken with CanoN!~

Erm, what actually happened? Did you buy it off a reefer? Maybe you can check with him if it's been working before he sold it to you....a more generous reefer might offer to refund you, afterall...you haven't even started to use it.

Yalor... if you buy from me, say within weeks, I will at least respond to you and see what can be done... probably a partial refund or something (if the unit is still perfect when I pass to you).

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

Yalor... if you buy from me, say within weeks, I will at least respond to you and see what can be done... probably a partial refund or something (if the unit is still perfect when I pass to you).

Haha, not everyone is as generous as you ma...

But bro xersion, try contact the person you got your chiller from. If i sold a reefer something that spoils within a week, i'll proberbly feed so bad that i'll offer a full refund.

Anyway, has Derek replied?

My Newbie Tank Thread

My Blog

• SRC Member

Hrmz, may i know why we shouldn't run the skimmer when we are cycling? Thanks in advance!~ :)

Actually it does'nt matter whether you run skimmer or don't because some believe if you running skimmer some of the bateria and other stuff will be skimmed. Others want thier tank clean from day 1, different people use different method as for me I off the the skimmer because save electricity. :peace:

But looking at bro's original question (and the condition of his tank). It is beneficial for him to run his skimmer to remove unwanted deritrus and wastes. He is not really at the beginning of the A N N cycle, so no point letting things rot and create more Ammonia to deal with later.

Skimmer "on" or "off" very much depending on which stage and which method one goes for.

As for bro, he is smart enough to buy LR from a fellow reefer, fresh from his tank. According to an author, beneficial bacterias are already inhibiting the cured LR, why wipe them off with another round of A N N? Maintain them, if not create optimum water condition for them to multiply quickly. Objective: Keep them alive and happy :lol:

Fact: How optimum can one achieve without running the protein skimmer?

For those using uncured LR, yes, no point running your skimmer as you want things to rot in your tank to create enough Ammonia to kick-start the cycle. But that is a different scenario altogether.

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

i feel that the threadstarter should at least cycle the tank for 1 month before adding any LSs even if he got his LRs from fellow reefer.

better be safe then sorry ...... just my newbie comments..

actually the period of one month is so long . who can wait haha.

but it is understandable , however the travelling time from the reefer;s place where u get the rock to ur house might cause something to die and generate a small ANN.

do have a good testkit to ensure a proper ANN cycling is complete or else whatever u add into the tank is a complete waste of money . yes complete .

at least ammonia and nitrite zero first . nitrate and phosphate can be deal in later stage .

ammonia get seachem ammonia tester , those stick on the glass 24/7 , nitrite get the tropic marine as it can double up as nitrate tester too.

salifert and tropic marine are good brand for testkit

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member
i called derck on the morning.. but he say only on weekend then he will be free to repair it.. so just flip thur the classifile and bring down for service le.. owner agree to pay half the bill for me :X

Thats cool....at least he offered to pay 1/2 for you. So now repaired already?

My Newbie Tank Thread

My Blog

True... test test test!!! Try not to buy second hand test kits from reefers as the quality of most test kits will start to degenerate (slowly) after 6 months of opening... but these are essentials you have to invest in.

I can't even wait 2 weeks!!! :lol::lol::lol: Unless really broke, got no money... but even then, it's so tempting to get FOC fishes from reefers... clown FOC here, damsels FOC there... hermit FOC here :lol::lol::lol:

True... test test test!!! Try not to buy second hand test kits from reefers as the quality of most test kits will start to degenerate (slowly) after 6 months of opening... but these are essentials you have to invest in.

I can't even wait 2 weeks!!! :lol::lol::lol: Unless really broke, got no money... but even then, it's so tempting to get FOC fishes from reefers... clown FOC here, damsels FOC there... hermit FOC here :lol::lol::lol:

what jervis says is true .

a good testkit normally have expire date and their measurement should be mg/l not ppm . because essentially only in reefing , ppm is differently from mg/l as only specific gravity of saltwater is not 1.

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member
Thats cool....at least he offered to pay 1/2 for you. So now repaired already?

still repairing.. need 2 days.. cause the shop is not only service chillers still got alot of others junk.. and need to run test on the chiller too.. lucky for me my tank is still empty

• SRC Member
Hi all bro, my tank is now in the process of cycling.. is there any thing live stock i need to add in? cause i rembering got 1 bro add in cleaning shrimp to cycle.. hope to have some advice in here :P

hi, since your tank is on the process of cycle, don't worry about running the chiller or adding LS at the moment. let your tank cycle properly (4 weeks cycle) :)

run it with FR, phos remover (old LR will leach out p04 eventually)

run your skimmer

after about 4 weeks, water change 20% of your tank vol. after that test:

p04, n03, ca, kh, mg

once your parameters are online, slowly add those fish(s) you wanna keep (during those 4 weeks, you can read up and plan what you wanna keep - fish and corals). this will cut down those unecessary adding fish(s), cos when you add them in, you will have difficulites taking them out if you change your mind :lol:

when you plan what type of LS you wanna keep, then you can start to plan what type of equipments you wanna get to support those LS. this will cut down of getting those equipments which is unnecessary at all :)

read well, plan well, be patient, and i sure you will succeed :P

age.png

Patience is the hardest to learn and master :nc::nc::nc:

All the best to you bro, start a new thread at the Member's section :)