Do I need a MH?

Xtrader

I agree with Pangz. Choose which corals you would like to keep; try and select corals of all similar requirements; note the lighting needs and then choose the lighting. T5 should do a tank of 18" deep for most coral species except those requiring strong light. If you need MH, then 150W will be sufficient at that depth.

Tone :D

To add to what tone had said. Some of the senior reefers here are achieving wonderful results for SPS with T5s. It does generate less heat as compared to MH. But i think using MH is still a norm for many users, so the choice is yours. happy reefing

IMHO, MH is not a must. If you are not planning to go SPS anytime soon, then T5 is a good option.

There are 2 scenarios here:

1. GOT CHILLER - Since you planning to introduce a chiller, heat is not so much a problem. Then go ahead and invest in MH so that you don't have to worry about upgrading few months down the road when u decide to keep more light demanding corals. IMO more light is better than insufficient light... most corals will melt and die without proper lighting (that is for sure). Yes, 150W is more than sufficient. You may also need T5 (actinic blue).

2. NO CHILLER - Don't ever ever try MH without a chiller. Will surely fry your LS, easily reach 33ºC in a hot day!!! Then go for T5. But the problem with T5 is, you need a lot of tubes to satisfy the corals. So now, you need a lot of space on top of the tank to allow for 6 tubes (at least). And don't try to save on T5 tubes coz you can't... go for the best tubes you can afford... ATI being the best, DD second... Aqua Medic acceptable... the rest... don't bother changing, just use the ones that come with the fixture (this is based on my opinion).

If cost is an issue... both MH and T5 costs about the same... if you consider getting 6 to 8 tubes of ATI T5!!! The only savings are the chiller and the heavy electricity bill that comes with it.

If you want to learn more about my Solite Type 3 (150W MH x 2 + 39W T5 x 2) check my thread.

Hope this helps :)

post-17-1146891060.jpg

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica