lighting

lanz

hi everyone ...being reading a lot ...however i n confused on the lighting issuse ... can someone help me out .... saw a lot on T5...T4 ...MH ....dun know what are they :( is it the a tube or holder ...or is it using the t5 holder must use a t5 ballast ????? then how many tubes??? please advice :thanks:

• SRC Member

In general these are the type for aquariums use, T4 is not common:

A. Normal Tube size (Flourescent technology)

B. PL/PC (Power Compact) (Flourescent)

C. T5 (Flourescent)

D. MH (Metal halide lamp technology, not flourescent)

In general, D is consider better than C. And C is consider better than A/B. There is a debate that C is as good as D. It depends who you talk to.

Choose A/B if your requirement is low -> example fish only.

Choose C if you don't like MH or the heat of MH. Lamp life is considered longer as well.

Choose D if you want SPS and clams. D also have shummering effect. And plan to have chiller. Some use fan to cool and can do without chiller.

In general you don't go by the number of tube. You go by wattage. For example if you need 90W and if each tube is 30W then you need 3 tubes. For your info MH comes in 150W, 250W and 400W.

Buy your lights from aquarium shop as you need to get the tube/lamp rating suitable for fish.