2ft t5 lightings-which brand is better??

gerrard_boon

hi fellow reefers,i'm thinking of upgrading my lightings from 2ft 2tube T5no lightings to 4 tube T5HO lighting... ani suggestions? juz to mention...i problerly can't use retrofit sets coz i'm placing the lighting veri near the water surface n i'm afraid of salts particles forming on the t5 tubes...the dymax starlite t5 seem to be veri economical....anione use it b4....hows the usage like...wat abt the other brands like solite n marco lightings...their pricing seems quie competitive too...pls advice

Thanks 4 the help, Bros!!

• SRC Member
its abt 170++...i think i cheapest i have seem til now.N yes i do agree that the construction and finish of the solite T5 is really cool.

Yup....maybe you can go to a LFS that carries both brands and compare them side by side? The solite should be abit more expensive i think.

My Newbie Tank Thread

My Blog

All pics taken with CanoN!~

• SRC Member
thx Qxnviolet bro for all yr help...i seen yr tank tread quite a few times...VERI NICE!!! anyway...back to main topic ani dymax or macro T5 lighting user can give us a review the performance n reliablilty of the respective product??

Hey, thanks for your compliment and hope you'll find the perfect light for your system~ :)

My Newbie Tank Thread

My Blog

• SRC Member

Ever tot of using the icecap ballast with D-D tube.

Went to Reef Depot to see the demo. Wah cannot compare to any of the taiwanese brand.

For that short trip there, the icecap ballast fires 4 tube at lower intensity, slowly it increases the intensity.... the 4 tube of D-D will go very bright after a while, much brighter that what I use now. Ballast is external, so heat is outside the light fixture, more efficient on the chiller.

What it does is improve the intensity and lifespan of the T5 tube. The D-D true actinic tube brings out the coloration of the coral I believe you will not see with the regular actinic tube.

Icecap ballast alone is approx 300SGD, good investment on a long run.

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

thanx 4 the suggestions bro naka,but the pricerange a bit on the high side n while the ballest can support up to 440watts...i probably only 4 to 5 tubes of 24watts T5... seriously underdsing the ballest.....anyway bro naka,u kept a lot of clams,do u think 4 tubes T5 is enough 4 a crocea if i put it really close to the light source...let say 4+inchs....thx..

• SRC Member
r they croceas?do u put it near to the light source?do u think i can increase the intensity of the lighting if i change 1 of the actinic to white light?

Yup...they are croceas, they are about 1 1/2 FT away from my light source on my sandbed. Was assured that they would be ok when i bought the lights, till now...they have not shown any signs of deteriorating. :) How deep is your tank?

My Newbie Tank Thread

My Blog

Get some good T5 tubes... that's a must if you wanna go T5. Coz the watt/gal for T5 is quite borderline, so u must rely on better tubes. I heard ATI is the best (but very costly and hard to find)... D-D (Deltec) is not bad also, I'm using them now.

Remember don't "save a few bucks" on T5 tubes... just like running an underpower car... if you still go for the cheapest petrol in town... might as well take bus, lol.

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member
Get some good T5 tubes... that's a must if you wanna go T5. Coz the watt/gal for T5 is quite borderline, so u must rely on better tubes. I heard ATI is the best (but very costly and hard to find)... D-D (Deltec) is not bad also, I'm using them now.

Remember don't "save a few bucks" on T5 tubes... just like running an underpower car... if you still go for the cheapest petrol in town... might as well take bus, lol.

Hmm. Think I may sell off my NEW used T5s & add D-D from the very first day :eyebrow:

Hmm. Think I may sell off my NEW used T5s & add D-D from the very first day :eyebrow:

Hehe that's what I did when I bought my Solite Type 3... once I receive the Solite, I posted at Pasar Malam to sell the tubes.

WTS: 2 150W 10000ºK FOC 2 T5 tubes (Aqualux brand)

So manage to sell it right away, no one interested in used tubes... unless dirt cheap. But if cheapo brand T5 tubes... gonna be hard to sell. I have to give mine as freebies.

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member
erm...thanks fro the advise jervis...can i noe the price of d-d tubes?

E.g.

D-D Actinic Plus T5 Tube - 24watts / 2 feet - $30

D-D Aquablue Plus T5 Tube - 24watts / 2 feet - $34

D-D Mid Day 6000 T5 Tube - 24watts / 2 feet - $27 ...etc :P

You want refer to http://www.reefdepot.com.sg/

:lol::lol::lol: That was a good definition bro! I like that! :D:D