Chronicles of a Cube

SerpentStar

Wow! A 4ft cube!!! Well it's not impossible to keep... based on the general rule that larger tanks are easier to maintain in terms of water conditions... so go ahead, post in every details... we will guide you along the way :lol:

Welcome to SRC!!!

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Hi Reefers...

I m new to this hobby.

Despite advices and warnings from friends and family, i took a big leap and hunted down a 4ft cube tank.

Thought i could document my slow progress, stocking, etc and most of all learn from experience reefers here.

:thanks:

Are you the guy who bought the tank from my fren? Or the 4ft cube you custom make one...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

:yeah::yeah: 4 feet cube is super hugh . wanna see more

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

Have u already gotten all the equipments? If not, do tell us ur plans... we can help also :lol: But 1 thing for sure... u hv to allocate a significant budget to be able to maintain that kinda water volume.

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Thanks bro Qxnviolet for the introduction... with a 4ft cube, u better go for some serious equipments :lol:

Bro you can check bro GolfMac's thread too. He is running a 4ft cube too. Perhaps he can give u some nice tips on the equipments, maintenance and rockscaping.

Hi

Thank you all for the geniune and spontaneous response. It has been most encouraging.

Yes, I'll gotten this tank through SRC. Modify the overflow and raise the water level close to the brim(at the eurobracing). So that at one look you cant see the water level in this tank.

This 15mm glass tank measures 4x4x2ft. Sump is 38" x 24" x 18".

Saltmix: AM reefsalt 4kg x 4 packs, AM Meersalz 20kg x 1

Water: Dechlorinated Tap Water

LiveRocks: 50kg Cured, Additional 20Kg Uncured (reborn 20/4), More Needed

Pumps: AM OceanRunner 6500 x 2

Skimmer: LifeReef SVS2-24 In-Sump, Sicce 5800lt/hr pump

More coming along....lighting, kalkwassing, bare-bottom, or substrate???

Peace

Don't go BB... it's hideous... wanna try AM Hydrocarbon (fine) for the substrate? But u will need a hell-of-a-lot of them!!! Mind sharing with us your lighting plan? Always curious how ppl illuminate such a large cube :thanks:

Hi all.

The argonite is gonna cost me an arm and a leg. (at least 4 15Litres tub for a 0.5inch depth that might be exposed at some areas where flows are strong) I might add that later if $$$ permits.

It is currently bare bottom now....at its infancy stages...cycling and all. I might want to keep it this way but add lotsa of small live rocks and tonga branches to cover the bottom....WILL MISS THE SANDBED....

As for the lighting i have decided on the following:

1 unit of AM AquaSunlight Classic Plus (250W x2, PL, Moonlight, Light Computer)

This will light the back of the SPS reef...

Photoperiod (2-3 hours max)

1 unit of AM AquaSunlight Classic Plus (150W x2, PL, Moonlight, Light Computer)

This will shimmer in the front.......LPS....Softie...

Photoperiod (5-6 hours)

More Info here

http://www.ab-aqualine.de/seawater/en/22/sunlightclassic/

Let me know yr thoughts and advice me...

How should i aquascape a cube tank??? based on lighting???

Is bare bottom good??? Should i add argonite, sand, coral bits???

What flow must i get into the tank for a total mix reef????

I m adding kalkwasser like crazy into the tank with liverocks now (two tangs, maroon just been transferred in fm my old tank)...at least 10 - 15ML Kalkwasser powder??? Experimenting and hoping that the rocks turn red quick!!! Anyone tried?

Thanks!!!!!

Rocking It

The Serpent Star

Bro mind posting some pix? Ur thread a bit boring leh... :P

Wah u gonna spend more than $5000 on lighting? Then go BB because u cannot afford sand bed?

Flow? Of course Tunze lah! No one else can make it to that far...

See u r a AM fan too... I think I know u... :P:P:P

So r u going to get the MOTHER skimmer that "can-only-fit-into-a-landed-house"? I'm sure u need 2 :lol: