cloudy water

isshoniwee

need help, advice!

here is the history of me setting up my tank:

21st March set up 11 gallon tank(fresh sea water) with 8 kg of live rocks

28th March change 50% of sea water

30th March NO2 is 0.02

17th April put in 11 small pieces of soft coral.

19th April notice NO2 0.1 and water cloudy! immediate change 40% water over period of 3 hours

21st April NO2 0.05, refractometer reads 34, so added 400ml of overnight tap water

22nd April NO2 0.05, saltinity 32 but water slightly cloudy but strong smell of sea water? also notice wood piece from proten skimmer giving out big bubbles! will change it later! is this normal? is the bacteria going through blooming phase? should i further dilute with tap water till reach readin of 30? or change sea water?

Tank specf:

2ftx1.5ftx1ft =>15gallon, but i can only put in 11 gallon due to rocks and sand.

chiller running at 27C

eheim cannister

cheap wood air bubble proten skimmer

Hi bro... I'm still learning... but I do have a few points for discussion...

Firstly, for G_d's sake... invest in a proper protein skimmer. When u mention "cheap wood air bubble proten skimmer", deep down... u know the skimmer aint working properly... allocate $100 to $200 and get a protein skimmer that will do the job well. It's THE most important piece of equipment esp in a small tank.

Secondly, introducing 11 piece of corals in a single shot is too fast... I am very impatient too, but I always try to introduce not more than 5 specimens in a week. The system will not be able to handle it, that's why u have NO2 hike and cloudy water right after that.

Thirdly, why u focus so much on NO2? You should also monitor Ammonia, Nitrates, Phosphates, KH and pH (very important).

Fourthly, avoid MAJOR water change (I will say anything more than 20% as major)... it's not good for the system, unless in crisis. For me, I will find out the cause of the problem instead of relying on 40% water change all the time. Synthetic salts are exp too.

Last but not least, since you have such a small tank (and without proper equipments, sorry I have to be honest and direct) using tap water is not a good idea. Perhaps you wanna consider buying bottled RO or DI water from NTUC or buy those OSIM tap filter to reduce toxic metals and contents. It's better to remove it in the first place, then to expect ur "cheap wood air bubble proten skimmer" to do the job...

Bottomline is... water shouldn't be cloudy. Get a good skimmer (you will never regret it) and maybe you wanna add in a bag of activated carbon (if you have not already do so).

Jervis

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member
OSIM tap filter to reduce toxic metals and contents
Bro Jervis, does this help... since I also add tap water mix with marine mix overnight? If the price of OSIM tap filter is cheap, may consider one.

Hmm, should bid your DO/DI but I in the same situation as your... home internal affair minister doesn't approve pipes running around.

Hi isshoniwee,

Welcome to SRC. Wise choice as you will be able to get a lot of good advise here. :pinch:

The Osim one... em... not very convincing right? lol

I saw some really nice models (similar to Osim) by Mitsubishi Chemicals (Japanese) in Best Ngee Ann City. They have a lot of different models, starting from $200 to $700. Perhaps that will help a bit... I suppose better than nothing lah!

If serious, go for Mitisubishi... price wise similar to Osim anyway.

I am thinking of getting one of those soon... also beneficial as drinking water lah... so "1 stone kena 2 "burung" :P

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

hi Jervis

thanks for the advices. i have just installed a aqua medic Biostar Flotor, to replace the cheap protein skimmer. however, i notice it is the tank is filled with micro bubbles! is that normal? the supplier say it will takes about two days for the bubbles to die out. any input?

hi PrimePrime,

as for DI water, it is true "DO NOT drink it" bec it is pure water with almost zero minerals. when we drink it as the water flushes through your body system it tends to extract minerals and pass it out as urine and being low on minerals; you can easily fall ill.

by the way, can someone tell me how to add photo to this reply?

• SRC Member

Just to share my opinion. :lol:

By adding 11 pcs of soft corals cld be the main factor that coz your water cloudly. Why not you check the condition of the softies 1st? :)

I also suspect, you have not complete the water cycle yet. Usally , the idea water to start reefing after this cycle (Amonia- No2- No3- LS) . If that is the case, then your tank got not enuf 'good' bacteria load.

Anywhere, since you have stock up your LS, then, there is nothing much you can do now. I cannot tell you to throw everything ma.. :ph34r:

If I were you, I wld remove those coral that alredy not doing very well inside the tank to prevent them add on 'toxic' to the tank.

Next, change water (50%). Changing of 10% or 20% is more suitable for weekly maintainance only. Your case seem worst to me tot..

Adding Red Bio-home or bio-ring into your filter or sump to provide 'home' to cultivate more good bacteria.

Adding one or two air-stone to pump more Oxigen (For temporary measure only)

Keep your tank temp not more than 30C

Then monitor and stop adding LS or LR until the water turn clear.

When you water turn clear, measure your NO2 again lar before adding new LS. :peace:

hi Jervis

thanks for the advices. i have just installed a aqua medic Biostar Flotor, to replace the cheap protein skimmer. however, i notice it is the tank is filled with micro bubbles! is that normal? the supplier say it will takes about two days for the bubbles to die out. any input?

hi PrimePrime,

as for DI water, it is true "DO NOT drink it" bec it is pure water with almost zero minerals. when we drink it as the water flushes through your body system it tends to extract minerals and pass it out as urine and being low on minerals; you can easily fall ill.

The biostar flotor is a very efficient unit for nano and micro reefing .

yes , it will takes around 2 days for the bubbles to die out after which your skimmer will be a effecient unit . i am using one too currently .

jack

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

hi Jervis

hi PrimePrime,

Bro, congratz!!! The AM Biostar Flutor is a cool piece of equipment. Bro Hammy been using it with much success. Yes, it's normal to have some micro bubbles at the running-in phase. If it takes more than 2 days... don't panic... it can also be affected by oxygen supersaturation... something that can happen if ur tank is going thru algae bloom.

Relax, the micro bubbles will go away :D

Activated carbon is good at giving crystal clear water... but ur problems are beyond cloudy water. Are you already using some sort of carbon? If not, I suggest you use Aqua Medic Carbolit. It's quite affordable and it is not dissolvable... some other brands will dissolve and pollute the tank. Carbolit will not... in fact u can use it as long as you want... as eventually it will turn into housing for bacterias... just need to add new Carbolit.