M&M's Tank

Altantis

So the reading is Nirtrate??? The in flow is 66-74ppm and the outflow is ZEROLIZE

Attached pix of In-line dual TDS meter

No lah!!! Our water where got so high Nitrate lvl!!! You need to check what that reading is... I got a feeling it has something to do with water pressure :nc:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

:paiseh: No choice. I finding my NO3 problem.

Now I know TDS:

Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) are the total amount of mobile charged ions, including minerals, salts or metals dissolved in a given volume of water, expressed in units of mg per unit volume of water (mg/L), also referred to as parts per million (ppm). TDS is directly related to the purity of water and the quality of water purification systems and affects everything that consumes, lives in, or uses water, whether organic or inorganic, whether for better or for worse.

more here

On TDS Meter

Emm... this is way to complicated for me... do let me know the result of a DI unit, I might wanna get one in the near future, must get them install for me... :)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

I also changed my carbon as mine old one something sound like ChermPure2. I though it indicated no need to change.

Carbon - ESV Granular Activated Carbon :eyebrow:

P/S: Carbon need to change once per month :erm:

Packing:

20060512-RDESVGranularActivatedCarb.jpg

Description & Spec:

20060512-RDCarbonSpec1.jpg

20060512-RDCarbonSpec2.jpg

Hey bro... you are still not tackling the issue here... I can see a lot of distractions... oh yes, activated carbon needs to be replaced regularly although some claim to last forever... I guess you are planning major water change to bring down NO3 right? Do update us on your parameters... :)

Bro, did u discuss ur high NO3 with Seet/Henry? Perhaps you wanna consider using Chemical to bring the NO3 down. Are you still interested in a AM Nitratreductor 400? I heard from CH stock will come in the next few days :)

• SRC Member

Water Parameter taken yesterday night (12May):

Sg : 1.203-1.204

pH : 7.9-8 (Same Reading taken by Jervis on 9May)

kH : 11.2 dkh

(Reading taken by Jervis on 9May- 6.4 ppm)

ALK : 4 meg/l

(Reading taken by Jervis on 9May- 2.29 meg/l)

NH3 : unsure but <0.1 ppm

(Reading taken by Jervis on 9May- undetectable)

N02 : unsure but <0.1 ppm

(Reading taken by Jervis - undetectable)

N03 : No TK

(Reading taken by Jervis previously - 100 ppm)

Ca : <>525 ppm

(Reading taken by Jervis on 9May > 500 ppm)

Mg : <>1125 ppm

(Reading taken Jervis on 9May <> 1200ppm)

P04 : unsure but 0.5 ppm

(Reading taken by Jervis on 9May - 0.6 ppm)

:cry::cry: No more Salifert TK especially N02, N03, NH3, P04 (Had already travelled to RD, AM & ML)

I thinking of getting almost the whole set to test the above parameter correctly & confidently.

P/S: Those indicated as "Unsure" are due to I'm using 2nd Test kit.

• SRC Member
Wow....getting more and more high tech yeah? Haha, hows the progress of your tank? Evrything still well? 

Hmmm... I think my leather is not doing fine... if :sick: how to detach from the LR (cos I got a piece of Orange Spotted Ricordea sharing the LR).

I read that we can culture it by cutting off a portion of the Coral's crown and attaching that piece to live rock or placing it in the sandy bottom of the reef aquarium. Where is the crown?

• SRC Member
Hey bro... you are still not tackling the issue here... I can see a lot of distractions... oh yes, activated carbon needs to be replaced regularly although some claim to last forever... I guess you are planning major water change to bring down NO3 right? Do update us on your parameters...  :)

As you mentioned, try to take more pix and edit to post, so as to distract myself away from the issue for a while LOL... :huh:

But actually, I have been sourcing around to see what the faster solution to reduce NO3 first, since I'm unsure on the reading also (base on 100 ppm) :cry:

Thus I keep change Tank's water using DI water with salt mix.

I brought the DI last Sunday 7May when I keep thinking my NO3 is <10ppm only. That day, I also checked to Seet on NO3, he recommended the PURA NitrateLock, as he is also using with SPS.

And of course, I didn't get it cos my NO3 reading was 2ppm only (2nd hand TK)...then :paiseh:

• SRC Member
Bro, did u discuss ur high NO3 with Seet/Henry? Perhaps you wanna consider using Chemical to bring the NO3 down. Are you still interested in a AM Nitratreductor 400? I heard from CH stock will come in the next few days :)

Have not discuss with Seet, after the reading of 100 ppm taken on 9May with your help.

I went to AM to find Salifert NO3 TK on 10May, but no stock. Then I try my luck at ML on 11May. Still no NO3 TK... thus unsure what the current reading after a few round of water change.

Yes, I ask Henry for advise. He recommended to do water change to reduce the NO3, is the fastest way to reduce NO3. He also mentioned that I should add Bacteria to our tank at least every 6 month to get the system to work proper. These bateria also can help to reduce NO3.

Have not discuss with Seet, after the reading of 100 ppm taken on 9May with your help.

I went to AM to find Salifert NO3 TK on 10May, but no stock. Then I try my luck at ML on 11May. Still no NO3 TK... thus unsure what the current reading after a few round of water change.

Yes, I ask Henry for advise. He recommended to do water change to reduce the NO3, is the fastest way to reduce NO3. He also mentioned that I should add Bacteria to our tank at least every 6 month to get the system to work proper. These bateria also can help to reduce NO3.

Bro Altantis u been using the DI for so long? And you didn't share with me? :lol::lol::lol:

I think you should listen to Seet and try out the PURA Nitratelock, just don't waste money on Seachem De*nitrate. Changing water is fine... but changing too much water in a short period of time will also cause other problem... not to mention the $$$ and the backbreaking experience.

Until you can find another TK, I think you can trust my testing (9 May). I can come by again, if you need my help.

As for the KH and Alkalinity, well done!

I told ya... you must add bacteria every now and then to maintain the level... I've been dosing every night :pinch:

I might wanna try AQUATIM :heh: Review leh...

Oh about the Leather... it's expected, with such high NO3, it's a miracle your 3 Nemos and the YT is still swimming around happily :erm: And don't waste time trying to culture a $4 coral... yes, you must find a way to detach it from the rock to save the Orange Rhodactis.

All the best to you bro... I know you've been going though a lot... it's funny how we all choose a hobby that give us all so much problem... why can't we just go collect stamps or watch soccer? :eyeblur:

• SRC Member
:paiseh: Bro Jervis, I only start my experiment with DI water on the 9May after you leave my place. No choice, don't know how to fix also must try luck... :yeah:

Emm... if that's the case, then I shall put your water to the test already lor... I'm sure the NO3 already lowered significantly by now... so have you decided on what kinda NO3 exporter u will be using? NO3 will always be there unless you have some form of exporting it. DI alone will not do the job unless you change water every day :lol::lol::lol:

• SRC Member

> Current (Change water, & add Bacteria's solution from Henry which is from USA)

>> Short term Solution (Possible) - Add PURA NitrateLock

>>> Long Term investment - Install AM Nitratreductor 400 :yeah:

Ok, nice to know that you have a 3-step plan... implement it... I'm sure you will say goodbye to your NO3 very soon :) Remember not to eliminate NO3 to zero before installing the Nitratreductor. In fact, high NO3 level in the water will speed up the kicking-in process. Normally, NR will take more than 2 weeks to kick-in properly... if your NO3 is high, maybe shorter :)

Call Cheng Hock, shipment arrive next few days, hopefully Deniballs will be available by then.

Hahaha... one thing bro. You see there are black and white balls in there? The black ones are bactoballs for bacteria to resides, the white ones are Deniballs, to feed the bacterias. I got a feeling you need more black balls than white. Do check with LFS what's the right proportion. Extra white balls must keep coz they are very valuable... they sell by piece!

• SRC Member

Don't they came in box?

Deniballs (White)

AMDeniballw.jpg

A filter material and bacterium food for the Nitratereductor

Deniballs are made from a special biologically based plastic material and are designed to provide a long-term carbon and food source for anaerobic bacteria within our Nitratereductors. In the absence of oxygen, these anaerobic bacteria metabolize the Deniball material to accelerate the reduction of nitrates into nitrogen gas. One box of Deniballs (0.2 gallons) for the Nitratereductor 400 and 3 boxes for the Nitratereductor 1000 is enough to be the sole source of supplemental food within the reductor for 12 months. For the Nitratereductor 5000 you will require about 1.2 gallons, about 6 boxes or one bucket, every year. Changing the Deniballs every 12 months is recommended to ensure safe and maintenance free denitrification for your fresh or saltwater aquarium.

Don't they came in box?

When I bought my NR1000, they ran out of Deniballs, so they gave me a box of Denimar instead (while waiting for the next shipment) and they adjusted the price accordingly. No, if you buy the NR400, the balls are already filled inside. You may talk to LFS see if you want to take some Deniballs out and add in more housing for the bacterias (Bactoballs). Ask them, hear what they say... :)

• SRC Member

OK Bro... will just invite u to tag along LOL :P

Description of Aqua Medic Nitratereductor 400

The Nitratreductor 400 is a completely sealed biological filter. It is operated at a very low flow rate so that an oxygen free environment is created wherein naturally occurring bacteria reduce nitrate to harmless nitrogen gas.

The filter can be installed in almost any position, inside or outside the aquarium or the cabinet. For the water flow, we recommend the Dosing pump SP 3000.

After maturing the filter can keep the nitrate concentration in a normally loaded aquarium up to 400 litres at a very low level. The filter medium – Deniballs – is consumed and will require replacement in 9 to 12 months dependant on load.

For optimum control we recommend the filter be used in conjunction with an Aqua Medic mV controller or an Aqua Medic mV computer. The filter is already equipped to accept our pressurised electrode.

Dimensions (without electrode) : 14.4 x 10 x 37 cm

c. 5.8”x 4” x 14.5” ( L x W x H)

Assessories :

Denimar powder and deniballs to feed the anaerobic bacteria

Pressure proof Redox (ORP) probe with screw connection PG13.5

Dosing pump SP 3000

Further information for Aqua Medic Nitratereductor 400

AM_Nitratreductor_400.pdf