M&M's Tank

Altantis

• SRC Member

OK will check my water parameter 1st thing in the morning, even before going to the polling ctr <_<

Attached FTV as of 3 May

post-34-1146852975.jpg

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's ur Calcium lvl? Coz you need good calcium level to see coralline growing. You tank will look fantastic if the entire backdrop is filled with coralline algae (purple).

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

:eyeblur::cry::cry:

CURRENT Water Parameters measure on this morning 06May06 :paiseh: (almost fainted):

Water Parameters :

Temperate : 27.3 :lol:

SG : 1.024 (Previous reading 1.024)

PH : 7.9 (Drop from 8.2 :( )

KH: 5.6 dkh :cry: (But more accurate reading - suspected the 2nd hand TK cannot made it)

NH3/NH4 : <0.2 (SAL); Undetectable (RS) (Same as previous)

NO2 : Undetectable (SAL); 0.1 (RS) (Same as previous)

NO3 : 2 (SAL from side. If from top from reading below 10ppm I think - 5 then divde by 10 = 0.5) (Previous reading from top is 1, 10 divide by 10) :unsure:

P04 : < 0.03ppm (SAL), ideal is <0.025ppm but which TK will have this readings? Unless it Undetectable :unsure:

Ca : 496 or 600 :( (I very Blur lao - Can anyone advise TM - Mg/Ca test 2 in 1 TK)

Reason:

It indicated that "if the test solution becomes clear after ading the first two drops of reagent C, it is an indication of high calcium level".

So base on leftover of C, which is 0.99ml, my result will be for Ca will be 496.

But if I follow the 2nd method of using 4ml of tank water instead of 5ml, my result is 600 :erm:

Mg : 275ppm :cry:

:eyeblur::cry::cry:

CURRENT Water Parameters measure on this morning 06May06 :paiseh: (almost fainted):

Water Parameters :

Temperate : 27.3 :lol:

SG : 1.024 (Previous reading 1.024)

PH : 7.9 (Drop from 8.2 :( )

KH: 5.6 dkh :cry: (But more accurate reading - suspected the 2nd hand TK cannot made it)

NH3/NH4 : <0.2 (SAL); Undetectable (RS) (Same as previous)

NO2 : Undetectable (SAL); 0.1 (RS) (Same as previous)

NO3 : 2 (SAL from side. If from top from reading below 10ppm I think - 5 then divde by 10 = 0.5) (Previous reading from top is 1, 10 divide by 10) :unsure:

P04 : < 0.03ppm (SAL), ideal is <0.025ppm but which TK will have this readings? Unless it Undetectable :unsure:

Ca : 496 or 600 :( (I very Blur lao - Can anyone advise TM - Mg/Ca test 2 in 1 TK)

Reason:

It indicated that "if the test solution becomes clear after ading the first two drops of reagent C, it is an indication of high calcium level".

So base on leftover of C, which is 0.99ml, my result will be for Ca will be 496.

But if I follow the 2nd method of using 4ml of tank water instead of 5ml, my result is 600 :erm:

Mg : 275ppm :cry:

Hi Altantis

1) Sg is good

2) pH is fine... 7.9 during "off-light" is quite acceptable (tackle other issues first)

3) KH very low... can be quite possible... get something to raise KH (but don't get those that will also increase Calcium) High Calcium can also bring down KH. You need to at least raise it to 8 to 9. Go get another set of KH test kit, the Salifert one is quite good IMO.

4) Your NO3 is very good... but I think you are confused by the high resolution and low resolution. If read from top, have different test method... if read from side, you add in less additives... blah. Check instructions sheet.

5) Don't worry too much about high Calcium, tackle the others first especially your low KH... very worrying.

6) Mg... very low... got a feeling your test kit is not doing a good job.

Btw, do you read the test kits under bright white fluorescent light / sunlight? Don't trust your tank light and halogen/spotlight... they distort colours... it helps to get second opinion too, ask your wife also... 2 is better than 1... in case we got minor colour blind which is very very common nowadays :D

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

Hi Altantis

1) Sg is good

2) pH is fine... 7.9 during "off-light" is quite acceptable (tackle other issues first)

3) KH very low... can be quite possible... get something to raise KH (but don't get those that will also increase Calcium) High Calcium can also bring down KH. You need to at least raise it to 8 to 9. Go get another set of KH test kit, the Salifert one is quite good IMO.

4) Your NO3 is very good... but I think you are confused by the high resolution and low resolution. If read from top, have different test method... if read from side, you add in less additives... blah. Check instructions sheet.

5) Don't worry too much about high Calcium, tackle the others first especially your low KH... very worrying.

6) Mg... very low... got a feeling your test kit is not doing a good job.

Btw, do you read the test kits under bright white fluorescent light / sunlight? Don't trust your tank light and halogen/spotlight... they distort colours... it helps to get second opinion too, ask your wife also... 2 is better than 1... in case we got minor colour blind which is very very common nowadays :D

Bro Jervis,

Me test under natural light, FOC :lol:

3) kH - using Seachem MultiTest for Marine ph & Alkalinity (just brought yesterday) :lol:

Henry from ML recommended and I find it easy to use. He also tested in front of me using his display tank water.

This TK come with 1 both pH & kH Reagent, ph & kH Reference. For kH, to count the number of drop of kH Reagent to turn the test water to yellow, 1 drop is 0.5 meg/L.

Interpretation:

This kit utilizes a unique narraw range and high contrast pH indicator. It is suitable for marine or brackish water only. Marine pH should be 8.2-8.4. Tanks dosed with limewater mag go as high as 8.6.

Natureal sea water has a total alkalinity of 2-3 meg/L, but aquarium water should have a total of alkalinity of 4-6 meg/L. This kit measures total alkalinity. Total alkalinity is a measure of the carbonate, bicarbonate, borate abd hydroxide content of the water, expressed as the acid neutralizing caputure of the water in meg/L (milliequivalents/ Liter).

The expression of alkalinity as meg/L is chemically sound and the most useful and intelligent way to express this property of the water to resist change in pH. The use of other exprssions, such as KH, dH, mg CaCO3 /L, grain CaCO3/gal, etc., is confusing and offers no advantage over the chemically accepted standard expresion of meg/L. The use of expressions other than meg/L should ve discourage. For reference purpose only, 1 meg/L correspongs to 2.8 kh.

P/S: 2nd hand one are Tropic Marin & Sera

4) N03 - using Salifert NO3 Profi Test.

It mentioned that:

The test offers two ranges.

Low range : 0.3 - 10 mg/L (ppm) as nitirate.

Medium range : 2 -100 mg/L as nitirate.

There is no reduction of water sample or Reagent used.

Medium range

All test start with Medium range where we place the test vial on the white part of the color chart and compare colors looking from the TOP.

If the color corresponds to a value lower than 10 mg/L nitrate then it might be better to compare colors as shhown for the low range.

Low range

If the medium range color comparison procedure gave a reading lower tha 10 mg/L then you can use the low range procedure. This will increase the accuracy

The color for the low range procedure has to be compared by looking through the SIDE of the test vial. The color is , by looking through the side, amplified by approximately 10 fold. For E.g. 2 will become 0.2.

>>So you use which approach?

6) Mg - using Tropic Marin Mg Test (2 in 1 box for Mg/Ca also jsut brought yesterday from ML)

This testkit start with Ca test, then the same test solution will continue with the Mg test.

Suspect the problem lays with Mg only, as it indicated that my mix with Magnesium-Calcium Test A will turn my solution to light blue. Then wiith the Magnesium-Calcium Test D, to add until solution tunes colorless. :sick: The light blue is really very light and from almost colorless to colorless, how to see such small differences :sick:

How about Salifert Mg Profi Test? Easy and straight forward?

For NO3, I read from top (medium range) as my NO3 is always around 10 to 15. As for Salifert Mg TK... I find it quite easy and straight-forward. I still don't think your Mg should go to that extreme low... what salt mix you using?

• SRC Member
For NO3, I read from top (medium range) as my NO3 is always around 10 to 15. As for Salifert Mg TK... I find it quite easy and straight-forward. I still don't think your Mg should go to that extreme low... what salt mix you using?

Bro Jervis,

So confirm my N03 from top (medium range) is 2.

Will try to buy Salifert Mg Profi Test, or else I will ask Henry to demo using the Tropic Marin Ca/Mg TK :sick: . May also bring my tank water if going :peace:

Salt mix - Bio.Sea Marine Mix - see pix (I hope to get Tropic Marin but ...someone said this is better).

Bio.jpg

Now I also add Tropic Marin Salt (not Pro one) sometime. Just now changed 1 pail of tank water with TM salt mix

Wah now very 'fren" with Henry lah... I'm sure he will be able to help you fix your problem/s... sometimes it's good to just go to 1 LFS to take care of your water... like me, A.Mart been very helpful, CH knows everything about my tank (that's good) so that he knows what I'm currently dosing, what I need to add, what I can eliminate... so talk to 1 LFS is good IMO.

If not, there's always a danger of overdosing because a lot of the additives overlap each other... so may cause more harm than good :erm: LFS A will try to sell this to you... LFS B sell you another brand in another trade name... so sometimes we blur and dose both ;) It happens all the time... and not to mention the $$$ wasted.

And always be careful when the LFS tell you... "aiya this product cheap and good"... there's no such thing one-lor :heh:

How's thing bro? If you need test kits, do let me know. I have a full set of Salifert TKs. Since we stay so near :lol: Oh... I have some corals to pass to you too (once you tank settles) :lol:

may i know how was the back ground done?

His background came with the tank :)

• SRC Member
Wah now very 'fren" with Henry lah... I'm sure he will be able to help you fix your problem/s... sometimes it's good to just go to 1 LFS to take care of your water... like me, A.Mart been very helpful, CH knows everything about my tank (that's good) so that he knows what I'm currently dosing, what I need to add, what I can eliminate... so talk to 1 LFS is good IMO.

If not, there's always a danger of overdosing because a lot of the additives overlap each other... so may cause more harm than good :erm: LFS A will try to sell this to you... LFS B sell you another brand in another trade name... so sometimes we blur and dose both ;) It happens all the time... and not to mention the $$$ wasted.

And always be careful when the LFS tell you... "aiya this product cheap and good"... there's no such thing one-lor :heh:

I have not dose anymore additives yet. Pending for confirmed reading with the proper test-kit.

The problem with me is that I always open to suggestion, thus resulting continue to buy lol. Think I must only bring out enough cash for the item I intend to get. <_<

Hehe... I know u got credit card :lol: So tomorrow, what test kits you need? I will also bring along my JBJ Digi-lab (for testing Sg) too. Since I will come straight from work, I can't bring corals for you, sorry.

• SRC Member
How's thing bro? If you need test kits, do let me know. I have a full set of Salifert TKs. Since we stay so near  :lol:  Oh... I have some corals to pass to you too (once you tank settles)  :lol:

Best Marine Buddy Award Yr 2006 in SRC ...... goes to Bro Jervis :bow::bow::bow:

Seriously, I'm out of word for your warm offers, and deep from my heart I sincerely feel appreciated :cry::thanks:

Test kit - If all 2nd hand one are is to be removed , I think I only have the following :paiseh: :

1) pH - Seacherm

2) Alkalinity - Seacherm

3) Mg - Tropic Marin 2 in 1 (I find it diffcult to use)

4) Ca - Tropic Marin 2 in 1 (I find it diffcult to use)

5) NH3/NH4 - Tropic Marin (but expiry on 06/2006)

FYI :paiseh:

2nd hand one:

1) Alkalinity - Salifert (expiry on 07/2006)

2) N02 - Salifert (expiry on 07/2006)

3) N03 - Salifert (expiry on 07/2006) 2 boxes

4) P04 - Salifert (expiry unknown)

5) Ca - Salifert (expiry on 2008??) 2 boxes

6) Red Sea (PH, Alk, NH3, NO2, N03 - expiry unknown)

Corals, not a problem as can get from you later right :yeah:

Best Marine Buddy Award Yr 2006 in SRC ...... goes to Bro Jervis :bow::bow::bow:

Seriously, I'm out of word for your warm offers, and deep from my heart I sincerely feel appreciated :cry::thanks:

Test kit - If all 2nd hand one are is to be removed , I think I only have the following :paiseh: :

1) pH - Seacherm

2) Alkalinity - Seacherm

3) Mg - Tropic Marin 2 in 1 (I find it diffcult to use)

4) Ca - Tropic Marin 2 in 1 (I find it diffcult to use)

5) NH3/NH4 - Tropic Marin (but expiry on 06/2006)

FYI :paiseh:

2nd hand one:

1) Alkalinity - Salifert (expiry on 07/2006)

2) N02 - Salifert (expiry on 07/2006)

3) N03 - Salifert (expiry on 07/2006) 2 boxes

4) P04 - Salifert (expiry unknown)

5) Ca - Salifert (expiry on 2008??) 2 boxes

6) Red Sea (PH, Alk, NH3, NO2, N03 - expiry unknown)

Corals, not a problem as can get from you later right :yeah:

Err... so confusing... I will just bring all my test kits!!! :lol: Don't give me award leh... since we stay so near... there will be time I need your help... for example... 2 weeks holiday... :lol::lol::lol:

• SRC Member
Don't give me award leh... since we stay so near... there will be time I need your help... for example... 2 weeks holiday... 

No prob... then I will take pix of LS and coral in your tank and post at my thread as if they are mine :evil::evil::evil:

Maybe have some photoshop edit and touch up with my FTV...wow :yeah:

I'm serious you know... vice-versa lah... or else how to go for a long holidays without worrying about the tank day and night? Surely cannot enjoy the trip ;)

So tomorrow around 7pm ok? I will probably go LFS before that to look for another piece of Prata to ease my pain... I am feeling so so sad and (slightly) cheated <_<

Don't ask me where I bought it... I shall keep it a secret :nc:

• SRC Member
I'm serious you know... vice-versa lah... or else how to go for a long holidays without worrying about the tank day and night? Surely cannot enjoy the trip  ;)

So tomorrow around 7pm ok? I will probably go LFS before that to look for another piece of Prata to ease my pain... I am feeling so so sad and (slightly) cheated  <_<

Don't ask me where I bought it... I shall keep it a secret  :nc:

U know me well... :P

If you ask, sure no prob even it is 2am in the morning :snore:

Tomorrow please don't come before 7 cos the earliest time which I reach home usually is 7pm. :peace:

Now I will go to do some house keeping :paiseh::paiseh::paiseh:

P/S:

Sorry to all those whom find my thread #@.&*!&.... will be back to normal soon (Actually I took quite a lot of pix)

Post more pix lah... just like me... to distract and get myself over the Prata... I just keep on posting macro shots and blah :lol::lol::lol:

• SRC Member
I'm serious you know... vice-versa lah... or else how to go for a long holidays without worrying about the tank day and night? Surely cannot enjoy the trip ;)

So tomorrow around 7pm ok? I will probably go LFS before that to look for another piece of Prata to ease my pain... I am feeling so so sad and (slightly) cheated <_<

Don't ask me where I bought it... I shall keep it a secret :nc:

pass me that prata if you really gonna look for another one.. dat one you got is really nice la!

• SRC Member
Anyone have any idea how make this pile of sand. Could this be the spot where my LW hide and came out before :angel:

my black sea cucumber does those piles of sand

basically it takes in sand, polish whatever was on the grains, and excretes out from the a*se :lol:

pass me that prata if you really gonna look for another one.. dat one you got is really nice la!

Haha... like that also want? Later die on ur tank... :sick: