M&M's Tank

Altantis

• SRC Member

Here the write out:

The Electric Flame Scallop, also called the Red Electric Flame Scallop has a bright red mantel with red tentacles. The mantel of this species seems to create electricity which can be seen shooting across the mantel like lightning bolts. These surges of electricity are bright enough to be seen in the aquarium when the lights are off. The shell of the various Flame Scallops is covered with fine bumps, making it feel like a file.

The Electric Flame Scallop builds a small nest of small rocks and pieces of coral in which it embeds itself. In an aquarium, this may not offer much protection. When threatened, it may escape by clapping its valves together, propelling it through the water, with assistance from its tentacles. It tolerates all animals that do not try to eat it, and can be kept in groups. It is a filter feeder, and requires floating micro-plankton to be kept alive in the aquarium, and will do best in a mature reef aquarium system. It also needs proper calcium levels and alkalinity. It does not tolerate nitrates or copper-based medications.

It requires supplementation with phytoplankton, and organic foods (Marine Snow or Selcon) provided by using a small pipette/straw to dispense the food upstream of its location. Each Electric Flame Scallop needs to be fed individually.

P/S:

Quick Stats

Care Level: Moderate

Light: Low

Water Flow: Medium

Tank Conditions: 72-78°F; sg 1.023-1.025; pH 8.1-8.4; dKH 8-12

Max. Size In Aquarium: Up to 3"

Color Form: Bright Red, Red

Temperament: Peaceful

Reef Compatible: Yes

Diet: Omnivore

Origin: Indo-Pacific

Family: Limidae

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wah bro Altantis... so knowledgable... thanks for shopping with me just now... I think u r good with Anemones... so readily putting ur hands into their tanks... this is one thing I still gotto learn :lol:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member
Wah bro Altantis... so knowledgable... thanks for shopping with me just now... I think u r good with Anemones... so readily putting ur hands into their tanks... this is one thing I still gotto learn :lol:

:paiseh:

Thanks for you lift (The "lift" should be correct right)

Btw, there another one red shell known as Flying Scallop (Promantellum vigens)

post-34-1146065743.jpg

:paiseh:

Thanks for you lift (The "lift" should be correct right)

Btw, there another one red shell known as Flying Scallop (Promantellum vigens)

Yes, "Lift" is correct, lol. Err... this things looks like a single orange Zoanthid polyp with extra long tentacles... not very nice lah :pinch:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

:lol: Look like a RED Anemone hidding in the shell with tentacles sticking out

And the write out:

The Flying Scallop has red tentacles and a smoother shell than Caribbean members of its genus, and its tentacles are more sticky. While it usually remains in one place (sessile), it has the ability to jet water out of the back of its hinge, propelling it forward in the direction of its opening.

It is usually found embedded among reef rubble, in a small nest that it has made of rock. It tolerates all animals that do not try to eat it, and can be kept in groups. It requires floating micro-plankton to be kept alive in the home aquarium and will do best in a mature reef aquarium system. Nitrates must be kept low, and it will not tolerate any copper-based medications.

It requires supplementation with phytoplankton, and organic foods (Marine Snow or Selcon) provided by using a small pipette/straw to dispense the food upstream of its location (each Flying Scallop needs to be fed individually). In addition, it can be supplemented with brine shrimp.

P/S:

Quick Stats

Care Level: Difficult

Water Flow: Medium

Tank Conditions: 72-78°F; sg 1.023-1.025; pH 8.1-8.4; dKH 8-12

Max. Size In Aquarium: Up to 2"

Color Form: Cream, Red and White

Temperament: Peaceful

Reef Compatible: Yes

Diet: Omnivore

Origin: Indian Ocean

Family: Limidae

I prefer Croceas and Maximas anytime over scallops! I want my ULTRa CROCEA! :P

Oh yeah... hey bro... we go look for some nice Ultras together? I want those black ones and the gold ones... too much blue/green in my tank already :lol: Bro Altantis u tried Crocea/Maxima before? But with ur T5s... u need to place the clams on ur LR.

JAN claim that they will install my T5s on Sat. Then I can fully stetch my hand out to get beautiful marines life :lol:

And hopefully by then ur 9005 already producing candy floss foam... do update us on ur 9005... wonder why is it taking so long... remember not to tighten the Blue Screw too much, the idea is to allow air to flow in (the more the better) to increase its effectiveness.

• SRC Member

Going to spot check

... My Sponge which I get FOC together with LR (only being charged by weight of all LR I took from a wonderful reefer)

As per Bro Soon, this little piece of "Yellow Soft Sponge" need strong flow? :blink:

post-34-1146066675.jpg

Yes it needs strong flow... and light is not important at all unless for viewing pleasure... according to a book, sponges are the most effective nutrient exporter one can add to the tank... even much more effective than LR... if only keeping them is as easy as keeping LR ;)

• SRC Member

As per post on Bro Soon Tank's thread, SUN will be nice for my tank as the side is :ph34r: ...

OK

Calling for SUN for T/Loan to Test in M&M's Tank :evil::evil::evil:

• SRC Member
Welcome monki. Thanks for popping to my thread. Sorry for the lously set-up and english :paiseh::paiseh::paiseh:

Thanks Bro Qxn :D already reply for me. It a Blue Legged Hermit Crab (attached picture LoL) :evil:

Oh yah, it is that same crab as per your avatar. For a moment, i really tot it is a turbo snail cos of the shell. U bought them from LFS like that or you provided that shell? I will have to look for new shell for my hermit. Its getting fat. :lol:

hermits are bad. i dun like hermits. my hermits ate up 1 rock full of super mushies, each at least 3 inches big. i was soo upset with them...

My hermit seems fine... just sifting the sand bed and sometimes LR for food... but sooner or later, I will have to either give it away or find is a larger shell... anyone?

• SRC Member
Oh yah, it is that same crab as per your avatar. For a moment, i really tot it is a turbo snail cos of the shell. U bought them from LFS like that or you provided that shell? I will have to look for new shell for my hermit. Its getting fat.  :lol:

:eyebrow: I Adopted from fellow reefer :paiseh::paiseh::paiseh:

Cos too big for his Nano (system tank); this crab always kick his coral down from the LR in his nano :yeah:

His original shell is bigger... but.... the BL hermit...again the story goes like this:

>>>I archive this hermit in a plastic container on top of my tank (caught him feeding on my cleaner shrimp)... he climb out of the plastic, jumped down back to the tank, swim/ crawl to the big shell (already in my tank - forgot how this shell appear in my tank) and took over the new house.

P/S: Actually I still have another red hermit

See BL Hermit in "ORGINAL" HOME

post-34-1146068565.jpg

• SRC Member

& Actually the red hermit was trying to change to this big shell from days but failed... :lol: then the new home kai na snap by the BL Hermit.

See Red Hermit picture

post-34-1146068910.jpg

• SRC Member

On 25Apr, after change a pail of water, I also do additional house keeping of tank... :P

Add Medium - Cheap stuff indicating NH3 & NO4 Remove Medium

post-34-1146071279.jpg

• SRC Member

I also remove some Rowa Phos from my super slow flow FR :paiseh:

(200g of Rowa Phos for FR 1000 pumped by a T-off pump max flow of 2500L/Hr cannot lift the media).

then place the extra Rowa Phos into new media bag (sock alike see pic for brand of bag) to place in my overflow chamber (Left side) of tank

post-34-1146071776.jpg

• SRC Member

Last, add all the additives tank that I have (according to the bottle description - like 1 bottle cup per 90l tank)

Will test my water parameter again tomorrow especially KH :(

& last pic for the day:

Re-appearing Act by Pincushion Urchin :eyebrow::eyebrow:

post-34-1146072134.jpg

On 25Apr, after change a pail of water, I also do additional house keeping of tank... :P

Add Medium - Cheap stuff indicating NH3 & NO4 Remove Medium

Err bro... since you mention "cheap stuff"... got such thing one meh? Good at removing Ammonia and Nitrate but cheap? The pack design doesn't look very convincing to me :P

• SRC Member
Err bro... since you mention "cheap stuff"... got such thing one meh? Good at removing Ammonia and Nitrate but cheap? The pack design doesn't look very convincing to me :P

Product of Aqua-Pro Aquarium. Not sure whether this is from MAL or PR_ :whistle