M&M's Tank

Altantis

• SRC Member
Erm, is the clam supposed to burrow itself into the sandbed? If its not, the sand might be suffocating it.... :unsure:

Yes. Did you see a black dot in the centre beside the big LR in the left? The clam's nostril is sticking out for breathing ;)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
Oh okayz....where do you live by the way? I was so tempted to get the clams....it'll make a good conversation topic when people see your tank. "Why you keep see hum in there ah"? LoL :lol:

Woodlands.

As per Bro Jervis; mine is the Tank with Character ... ma :evil:

Woodlands.

As per Bro Jervis; mine is the Tank with Character ... ma :evil:

Woodlands?!? Me too!!! :P:D:lol:

As for your "see hum"... if they are to burrow themselves in the sand all the time... then why introduce in ur tank?!? Ppl can't even see :upsidedown:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Agree with bro Qxn... if u change to 4 x 4ft T5... u can already keep proper clams. Since u have very narrow tank, the Croceas and Maximas can attach nicely to the rockscape. My clams look healtier on my rockscape... the sand sometimes irritate them coz of moving particles and they sometimes lean to one side.

Clams are definitely a must for ur tank!!! But don't pay more than $25 for one ok? Those $80 each is still questionable... whether worth investing as a first clam.

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

I guess those tiny ones are wayway overpriced. Still too small to see the colouration properly. I rather get a mid sized crocea. I wouldn't mind paying around $200 for a 3 to 4 IN super grade crocea or maxima though. :lol:

:whistle Don't suggest that to bro Atlantis :whistle I think he should start with a normal $20 Crocea first... as a first clam, I find my 2 common clams extremely beautiful already... look at how proud I am (my avatar) :yeah:

• SRC Member
As for your "see hum"... if they are to burrow themselves in the sand all the time... then why introduce in ur tank?!? Ppl can't even see :upsidedown:

I don't really know what is this clam; or whether as per mentioned "see hum" :paiseh:

But I was told that it helps to Purify your water and remove Debris in the sandbed <_<<_<

Always want to throw in a nice beautiful clam found in almost all SRC reefer's tank...

Btw I still search for the M&M's Tank 1st setup with colourful LS and ... I think I have some corals and even a clam :ph34r:

Bro... according to Wayne Sheng (some expert who published a book about his SPS and clam collections) clams like Crocea and Maxima also help nutrient export. They will consume extra nutrients in the tank (aka purifying)... so quick!!! Go out and get some!!! :lol: But according to him, you will need a lot of clams to make any significant benefit to the biotope... say for ur tank size... perhaps 25 clams will do the job :blink::blink::blink:

• SRC Member

QUOTE (Qxnviolet @ Apr 22 2006, 10:34 AM)

Haha....upgrade your lights and get a "proper clam"! Maybe you can put the "see hum" on your rockscape so at least people can see? Do they need a sandbed to survive?

QUOTE (jervismun @ Apr 22 2006, 10:38 AM)

Agree with bro Qxn... if u change to 4 x 4ft T5... u can already keep proper clams. Since u have very narrow tank, the Croceas and Maximas can attach nicely to the rockscape. My clams look healtier on my rockscape... the sand sometimes irritate them coz of moving particles and they sometimes lean to one side.

Clams are definitely a must for ur tank!!! But don't pay more than $25 for one ok? Those $80 each is still questionable... whether worth investing as a first clam.

Yes yes bro Qnx and Jervis.

Ordered but 4x 3ft T5 :peace:

Still have no idea how to get a good skimmer to install :eyeblur:

4 x 3ft T5 is sufficient (I guess), don't try to save on the tubes ok? But you can always prioritize ur fund allocation... I think u need seriouly look at finding a good protein skimmer right now, or else all the money spent for the upgrading will go down the drain... say in 2 months time...

I will try to look out for you... see if I can find something that can fit inside ur tank.

Wanna try:

(Note: Always get a protein skimmer that can handle around twice ur water volume).

Aqua Medic Turboflotor 750

http://www.aqua-medic.de/seawater/en/9/tb750/

Aqua Medic Midiflotor

http://www.aqua-medic.de/seawater/en/9/midi/

(Both AM models come with PDF manual for download, so you can take a closer look. So far, I am very impressed by my AM Turboflotor).

Tunze DOC Skimmer

http://www.tunze.com/149.html?&L=1&C=SG&user_tunzeprod_pi1[predid]=-infoxunter028

Other brands... I hope other bros can help.

I think it's ok to allocate some space esp on the back for the skimmer. Personally, I would rather sacrifice some space for the skimmer than to have plenty of room for dying corals.

• SRC Member
it's ok to allocate some space esp on the back for the skimmer. Personally, I would rather sacrifice some space for the skimmer

Bro U mean placing the skimmer within the tank (not inside the left or right chamber)? :huh:

Bro U mean placing the skimmer within the tank (not inside the left or right chamber)? :huh:

I don't think ur left and right compartments offer much space to fit a reasonable skimmer... just exploring the ideas only. You have 1ft depth right? If you are to get a skimmer (mount to the back, either left or right corner) around 6", u can still have 3" to 4" to play with rockscape, just like my tank. In time, the skimmer (if as black as Tunze) will be covered with purple coralline anyway, so will not be very visible.

Up to you... as I mention before, either you get lesser space with lots of healthy looking LS or more space with a lot of dying LS... for me... I will go for happy LS :D

But if you can find an effective skimmer that can fit into ur left/right compartments... then that's the best solution!

Em... perhaps you wanna consider having 2 Tunze Nano DOC Skimmers... they are very tiny, but 1 is not sufficient... perhaps u invest in 1 first, then get another 1 when ur bioload gets higher.

• SRC Member
Bro jervismun

Bro M&M is "altantis" and not "atlantis", who is his tank maker.... :D

Bro Earth,

Yes. The Nick I created is Altantis... very similar.

Tank maker u should know... you seem to have 1 before :pinch:

So any contribution on skimmer.

P/S: If u go through my thread (very messy :paiseh:) you will find i don't have space beside or behind my tank.

Less I drill a big hole to either side of the cabinet to install a Skimmer... then my "Internal Affair Minister"[word copy from Bro Jervis] will want me to get the skimmer coverup (Box up the whole area so that it look like part of the orignal designer furniture) :eyeblur::eyeblur::eyeblur:

No no no!!! Don't drill ur tank!!! It's too messy and risky. Explore other ideas... :erm:

• SRC Member
No no no!!! Don't drill ur tank!!! It's too messy and risky. Explore other ideas... :erm:

No. Not drilling tank. Sorry for the confusing. :ooh::ooh::ooh:

I meant, inorder to have a skimmer hanged outside the tank & w/o sump, the better place to place on the side of the cabinet (not tank)...

See attached right side of cabinet (can view the reverse C cabinet's door & tank)

post-34-1145687548.jpg

• SRC Member

See cross-section of the Right side of the cabinet with skimmer (don't have proper P.shop software to edit picture) :paiseh:

Skimmer like MCE600 how?

post-34-1145688197.jpg

• SRC Member

U see... I only edit my picture by drawing 2 whole hole, my wife walk pass & start commenting, when she saw this and thot that I already drilled...

Btw, to clearify I will need to cover the skimmer, like doing a box up cabinet.

The only danger for having a external skimmer like that is the overflowing... sometimes, if not controlled properly, the cup will be filled with tank water and flood ur furniture (slowly)... that's why I have all my equipments inside the tank (except Nitratreductor 1000), experienced it before and it ain't a pretty sight.