skimmer in new tank

You put in LR already? From LFS or other reefers? What about water parameters, mainly A N N? I saw you browsing my thread all the time... hehe let's both create something real stunning!!! Why don't you start a thread under the member's section, so that we can all follow ur progress. Easier to get help too. :D

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

Bro I don't ON my skimmer or light during ANN cycle, only ON my wavemaker. Reason is not necessary for me also save electricity, but different people have different way of doing things. My current tank is 1.5 month old already tranfered all the L/S from my 2ft everything seems fine. :peace:

• SRC Member

Hi mkt,

I suppose u are in your cycling stage of your newly start tank. It is not necessary to ON the skimmer. But best that u ON your wavemaker. Do you have any test kits for NO3, NO2, NH3/NH4+? If so you can monitor the progress of your cycling.

Cycling takes about 3weeks or more to be complete. (when the NO2 and NH3/NH4+ level becomes zero permantly)

There is no fixed rule when to ON the skimmer. I ON my skimmer about a month's time after I start cycling. Then, i start to slowly stock up my tank.

Just my opinion. Hope it helps! :peace:

hi there

thanks for the information!

The measurements appears to be ok. At least the fish and corals look reasonably

ok. Will probably switch the skimmer on some time in the 2nd week.

Now...how do i get the rogue mantis shrimp out of the tank :erm:

hi there

Err... fish and coral in your cycling tank?!? Bro I strongly urge you to run your SKIMMER right away!!!

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

hi there

Hmmzz Did you do the read up before you started introducing lifestock? Introducing LS during cycling is a NO NO. This will likely end up in a disaster although the LS may look fine when you first add it in.

My advise is to turn on your skimmer and dont add anymore LS until your NO2 is 0 and NO3 is controlled at a reasonable level.