Jacobus's tank!

jacobus

• SRC Member

my light combi is super pathetic leh ... thinking of getting a better lightset ... currently T5 NO 1 white 1 blue.... and 1 blue PL ... but my first ever gonio is still super happy ...

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bro that Pink Gonio is very very sick... so if you cannot revive it... dun blame it to the tank or on yourself... it is really a challenge to revive a specimen in such a state... so relax ok? Remember our MIs? Sometimes... cannot means cannot... not matter what you do... the result is 90% predicted anyway ;)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

yup i understand tt ... bro ... i look at ur lights and i feel so sad ... do u think mine is enuff for a 1.5 ft depth ?

That's why a lot of reefers call me BAD INFLUENCE... they say it behind me... also in front of me (jokingly) ;)

Bro if your first Goniopora is doing fine... I guess there's something positive in your current lightset... well you may want to consider 4 tubes in your future plans... 6 tubes maybe a bit too much for 1.5ft depth.

But again, let your corals be the judges (not your eyes)... I hope my reply is not too much a BAD INFLUENCE ;)

Btw... looking at the state of that Pink Gonio... I don't think my setup can revive it too... so don't get me wrong... ok? :)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

think i will upgrade my lightset soon ... but i gotta wait for the confirmation ... of my tank upgrade plan's outcome ... go or no go ... if no go then its time for new lights ... if not ... WOOHOO ! new tank ... hopefully a 4x2x2 ...

WAH!!! New tank already?!? I am also planning but right now what's stopping me is actually the knowledge part... I want to stay on with this setup... want to see it mature and learn more. It can help me plan my next tank better. For me, probably a 3ft cube (like bro Lyz77 :wub: )

• SRC Member

bro .. my tank is actually older than yours ... hahaha ... just tt i started posting late ... its good time for me to upgrade really... any later and i'll be in the army in the critical period ... so ya lor .. i must carefully consider ...

bro .. my tank is actually older than yours ... hahaha ... just tt i started posting late ... its good time for me to upgrade really... any later and i'll be in the army in the critical period ...  so ya lor .. i must carefully consider ...

Oh dear... not a good time to start a new tank actually... wait lar... wait until u finish army :) The larger it is... the harder your Parents have to help u maintain lar ;) But on the other hand... it can also mean better stability <_<

• SRC Member

Bro, nice new additional. You and Bro Colin seem to be good at revive coral :bow:

You all gains in term of knowledge, skill, saving $ and satifcation :bow::bow::bow:

• SRC Member

trick is to not adjust it. put it in a spot with nice flow and plenty of lights. and DO NOT TOUCH it till like 2 months later

leave it alone. i always get good results with injured corals.

can msn me for more details if you wanna know why. dun wanna bore the bros here.. hahaa.. a silly thinking of mine.

• SRC Member

Oh dear... not a good time to start a new tank actually... wait lar... wait until u finish army :) The larger it is... the harder your Parents have to help u maintain lar ;) But on the other hand... it can also mean better stability <_<

umm .. but after army i'll be overseas studying ... i'll decom after before leaving ... hmmm maybe i should just start modding my tank ..

• SRC Member
WAH!!! New tank already?!? I am also planning but right now what's stopping me is actually the knowledge part... I want to stay on with this setup... want to see it mature and learn more. It can help me plan my next tank better. For me, probably a 3ft cube (like bro Lyz77 :wub: )

Thks Bro Jervis! :lol:

There's actually quite a number of reefers who hv a 3ft cube tank too! But for me, the downside is scaping and adding corals. Really gonna follow Tom Cruise from MI to make the impossible mission "Possible"! :lol:

• SRC Member

haha ... decided to save upgrading for after i come back from overseas ( while im there im prob gonna have a nano) meanwhile im just gonna mod my tank ... better lights and a refugium .. BRO COLIN !! I NEED YOU DIY PRO-NESS FOR THIS !

umm .. but after army i'll be overseas studying ... i'll decom after before leaving ... hmmm maybe i should just start modding my tank ..

Wah... going overseas... so so exciting!!! Study hard bro... you can have the next 30 years ahead of you reefing... that is at least 10 tank upgrades if you can "tahan" 3 years a tank :lol::lol::lol:

• SRC Member
haha ... decided to save upgrading for after i come back from overseas ( while im there im prob gonna have a nano) meanwhile im just gonna mod my tank ... better lights and a refugium .. BRO COLIN !! I NEED YOU DIY PRO-NESS FOR THIS !

since when did i become a DIY pro..??!!!

haha.. i can help you out of course, not an issue. but not in the nxt 2 weeks. super busy. haha..

• SRC Member

hi bros ! its confirmed ! ive gotta upgrade in the making ! tank size ? 5x2x2.5 !!!!

woohoo!!

although one big question... FOWLR OR REEF??

Reef would definately make me super super poor ... and im gonna serve the nation next year .. ( seeing my plans ... my tank will only be running in dec ) im afraid tt my mom or maid may not be able to handle taking care of the tank when im in camp

On the other hand .. i cant bear to leave reef alone.. i came home and like stared at my tank for a long time ... corals are just so amazing and beautiful .. im stuck now ... HELP ME !

Be realistic... yes your mum and maid will not be able to handle a 5ft Reef Tank... go with FOWLR tank... you have 2 choices to beautify your tank further... fake plastic corals :P or Zoos :lol: FOWLR can also be extremely beautiful... :) After your service then slowly convert back to Reef lor :eyebrow:

May I also suggest you get a IKS or Aquatronica... life inside the camp is a lot more bearable if your tank can send you sms... or else your mum and maid will panic all the time :erm: If anything goes wrong, at least you can still have the power to rectify it via your handphone... and you can have a more fool-proof tank (and prepare more emergency planning) with a computer system... do consider that :)

Hint hint... welcome to the club :lol:

emergency planning ? i need to find money to get it started in the first place leh .... maybe i go fowler first ... then along the way i'll consider ...

Hahaha... if "money not enough"... then go FOWLR first... at least you don't have to immediately invest in all sorts of ex toys to satisfy the need of your corals (bearing in mind you will not be able to change water every week)... invest all in a super protein skimmer, don't waste too much money on lighting now... maybe a Denitrator... FR to run Phosphat remover also good. Basically you need the system to run by itself in your absence (without too much tuning and maintenance) :lol:

Oh maybe get a skimmer with a giant collection cup in case your maid forget to discard the skimmate for a week... you know... things happen ;)

• SRC Member

any suggestions for the super skimmer ? MACRO ? hmm yea ... will consider a FR in the long run before shaving my head ...

what sort of lighting do u suggest ? i remember tt time i saw reef n nature using a pinkish sort of lighting to bring out the colour of the fish ... should i have that ?

so if lighting isnt tt impt .. how many tubes of T5HO should i go for? or is NO enough ?

think i will go FOWLER la ... think about the fishes i could have ... always wanted a flame angel .. maybe some softies tt arent so demanding ... but corals will definately come later .. will first have to monitor my temp in the living room.. dun think i wanna invest in a chiller just yet ... is a denitrator impt ?