Jacobus's tank!

jacobus

• SRC Member

wah .... bro jervis ... im a student .. im a poor person ... becoz of my failed attempts with the fuge ... think i will have no $$ to eat this few weeks liao ... cant afford a $199 pump leh ... dymax or china brand also can ... haha ...

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

bro. with regards to the pump, try to regulate the amount of water outflow with a ball value. plenty of them available around... if its a slight reduction of 10% it will not damage the pump at all... anyway its a cheapo pump, so ok la. spoil change another one lor.. anyway call me if you really need some advice. think i might be able to help ya out. oh, post up a foto of the setup now, so all of us can get a better idea on wats going on..

frustration occurs when things fail, but its ok. i drank quite a bit of salt water too yesterday, when my overflow pipe die die refuse to start... .

wah .... bro jervis ... im a student .. im a poor person ... becoz of my failed attempts with the fuge ... think i will have no $$ to eat this few weeks liao ... cant afford a $199 pump leh ... dymax or china brand also can ... haha ...

Emm... sorry for always suggesting exp stuff... China pump... do remember that "not-so-superior" pumps consume more energy and emit more heat to the tank. That's what I observe after my upgrading from Sicce (Italian) to Aquabee (German)... so if compared to China brand... I'm sure the difference gonna be very significant. I am so confident with my Aquabees now I lowered myt tank temperature from 27ºC to 26ºC.

I have a spare Sicce Multi 2500,. let me know if u r interested. Can offer u installment plan if you interested :lol:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

changed to a lower power pump but still never run properly ... the input into the fuge is still too slow .. soo irritated ... dunno how .. spent too much cash already .. dunno if got cash to make any more admendments...

Don't worry so much bro... I don't suppose all these are affecting your main tank... are they?

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

my tank going thru algae bloom ... suspect is my new feeding regime ... changed it ... but wanna have a fuge just in case ...but keep failing miserably ...

got 2 final options left.. really need all u bros for advice ...

1. since i got 2 extra pumps now ... was thinking of not caring about the overflow pipe anymore ... will put one pump into the main tank to draw water out into the fuge ... and the remaining one in the fuge to bring water back in the main tank .. problem is ... in instance of a black out .. the suction of the two pipes draw the main tank water into a fuge ... and even though the fuge is big ... its gonna overflow eventually .... any ideas on how to stop this backflow ?

2. the finale despo attempt to a fuge .. to shove the macro algae into one of the compartments in my IOS and put a light over it .. any problems in this ?

really headache now ... keep tryin and trying .. but no success ...

Your option 1 is a bad bad design... don't ever try that. You'll flood the house. I used to have some Chaetos inside my IOS, the problem is... the amount (due to space constraint) is not significant at all in removing extra nutrients. Once I installed my NR1000, I removed the Chaetos from my IOS.

Why don't you post some pix... maybe we can make the REfugium work :)

• SRC Member

ummm cant ... no point becoz i stupidly glued the pipes already ... even if i wanted to change also cannot ... think i will put this project on hold and maybe try again when july comes ... will put algae in the the IOS compartment first. btw .. can a fuge replace a skimmer ?

Refugium replacing skimmer?!? Nothing can replace our good ol' protein skimmer :lol: Don't expect too much from your macroalgae lor... frankly, even Clams like Crocea and Maxima can export nutrients... but it's hard to keep them in significant numbers to bring any visible improvements... unless one keeps 25 clams in a 3ft... perhaps that will help bring down NO3... quite senseless right? The same theory applies for macroalgae too... you need quatity... or else you will just do more damage to the biotope by trying to reduce crucial elements such as the protein skimmer.

Macroalgae in a separate compartment is good for one thing though... to help maintain pH at night. That will be the only reason if I am to reintroduce macroalgae back into my IOS. I rather rely on equipments to export nutrients (I've bought them anyway).

One thing you must remember about macroalgae... care must also be taken to make sure they thrive... if they are to rot in your IOS... all the nutrients absorbed earlier will be release back into the water :nuke::nuke::nuke: ... so yes, macroalgae can be quite unpredicatable especially when it comes to "turning asexual"... something I've yet to understand fully.

• SRC Member

found this method on the saltwater about site. modified it a little ... pls advice

plan4ms.jpg

for the part [ fuge to main ]

the return pipe will be quite high up. so in case of black out .. the minimum level of water will be under the return outlet (( as seen in A ))

note : fuge will be half full so in case of black out ... water that would flow in would not overflow.

[main to fuge]

the pump will be place near the water line ... so in case of black out ... water that would be drawn into the fuge will stop once it goes below the pump intake ..

is this idea workable ? will keep my skimmer ... btw im using a 2 footer as a fuge ..

Sorry I can't help you much on this... perhaps you seek another opinion coz I am a real "dummy" when it comes to DIY/experiments... that's why I go for brand instead :)

• SRC Member

my idea failed .. plus china pump spoil.. damm .. wont try anymore... my fuge project is closed .. although im still on the look out for methods of nutrient(harmful) removal.

i remembered about mangroves and i know iwarna has some .. was thinking of trying it out next month ... right now .. im so broke i dun have money to eat .. mebbe july or late june will try..

if im gonna use chemicals to reduce my nitrate phos etc... what product should i go for ?

Firstly... yes, I think abandoning it for a while is gonna do you good... especially after so many failed attempts.

As for the chemical... em... I think some bro using Nitratlock and Phosbuster... both with good/instant results. You can check RD site for full product name and price. However, chemical is only for short term solution (IMO).

If you corals esp. your Gonio is opening so huge... I guess you tank is not in crisis... care to share your parameters with us? :lol:

amm is ok lvl .. salinity 1.021 nitrate is the lightest colour(good cond) i dun have good test kits ... sorry ..

You do not have test kit for Phosphate? Emm... then you will have to rely on your tank condition to tell... do you have algae problem? If yes, then the chances are you have high PO4. Salinity a tad low though... what about pH and KH? Both very important too.

As said before... as long as your corals look happy and healthy... :lol:

• SRC Member

think my salinity tell wrong ... its 1.022 kH nv test yet ... but everything is well other than red slime patches sometimes .. im very keen on the mangroves idea...

Emm... Mangroves can be quite nice but takes up a lot of space. One disadvantage of having refugium is instead of maintaining 1 tank, 2 if you have a sump... now 3 tanks!!! That's a lot of money to maintain in the long run, electricity to flow the water from tank to tank, dosing nutrients can be very expensive too as they usually go by total volume, chiller might have to work extra hard too... having said that... exporting NO3 and PO4 the natural way is too good a method to ignore :)