skimmer..

• SRC Member

bros..!

wad brand of skimmer shld i use for a 4feet tank? weipro can?

and if i use a sump, i need 2 pumps? then dun need canister already rite? thanks bros! :thanks::bow:

Buying 2x2x2 tank cabinet with sump :) pm me!

• SRC Member

Well.. it all depends on whats your budget. I believe Weipro will not make it.

I think there's those Octopus or re-circulating skimmer at quite a reasonable price. Can't remember exact price.. $200 - $300 for a smaller model?

2 main pumps basically.. one for your up flow and the other for your skimmer. If you are using a canister, I hope its a big strong one.. ;). Else you need a few wavemaker to add on to the stagnant water areas.

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member
Well.. it all depends on whats your budget. I believe Weipro will not make it.

I think there's those Octopus or re-circulating skimmer at quite a reasonable price. Can't remember exact price.. $200 - $300 for a smaller model?

2 main pumps basically.. one for your up flow and the other for your skimmer. If you are using a canister, I hope its a big strong one.. ;). Else you need a few wavemaker to add on to the stagnant water areas.

:D thanks arcanehacker!! thanks alot bro for hlping me along!!..

but if i use a powerful skimmer? like a higher end weipro skimmer.. and a 1200l/hr canister.. can?

wavemaker cost?

• SRC Member

Higher end is only till 2016? Still I have not heard of anyone using this with such a huge tank.. Any other reefers with such config?

Anyway, you don't want to run an under powered skimmer and find out that you still need to do lots of water change. Its like wasting electricity and water.

Wavemaker can get those cheaper Seio kind.. for you tank, people usually will recomend Seio 1100. Should be around $100 or less.. I think.

Or got more $$ to burn can get Tunze kind.. never heard of any bad reviews for it.

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

• SRC Member
Bro best is you give your tank specs so that we give you more on what you really need to buy

Think he is looking at a 4ft tank. Lets say a normal 4x2x2 or 4x2x2.5, should be around 500+ltrs.

• SRC Member
Bro best is you give your tank specs so that we give you more on what you really need to buy

:D:D my tank is 4x2x2.. wad equip do i need? im quite tight on budget.. u mean higher end weipro one oso not powerful enuff?

can bros let me knw how much do i need to spend on the equips..? like lights skimmer n all.. thanks! i would rather not have a sump.. cos of space constraint.. but i welcome any suggestions!! thanks :thanks:

• SRC Member

bro since you having a 4ft tank it's best to have a sump so that you can put all your equipment there.

Basic setup for a marine tank

1. Tank thickness preferably 12mm with sump

2. skimmer the best you can buy cos when your tank does'nt do well you will think of upgrading (in my own experience)

3. Good return pump that can last you many years

4. FR for algae problem

5. wavemaker better to buy 2nd hand tunze no need to worry anymore cos you your quite big

Once you get a hang of it you'll need more equipment.

• SRC Member
Maybe u may want 2 state yr exact budget so tat it will be easier 2 specify the brand/ type of equip! :D

preferably 12mm..? 10mm can do??

i nt sure le..may the lower the better.. haha..

wads FR? and second hand tunze costs?

• SRC Member

preferably 12mm..? 10mm can do??

i nt sure le..may the lower the better.. haha..

wads FR? and second hand tunze costs?

12mm will be a better/ safer thickness! FR is Fluidised Reactor which u add-in phos remover to control your phosphate which is normally the cos for algae boom! :rolleyes:

Hehe bro... u gotto really plan ur budget properly... coz u got such a large tank, must go for solid/serious equipment already... a canister for example will definitely not suitable as the primary filter for your tank.

If your tank haven't run yet, don't run it. Plan carefully, get the basic equipments first before adding any lifestock.

In my opinion, the most important equipments for your setup (assuming you are only going for fishes, no corals) are (according to priority):

1. Sump tank (or any form of reliable filter system) + a powerful and reliable return pump.

2. Protein skimmer (the rule of thumb is... go for the most expensive one you can afford... hehe, according to a lot of reefers, protein skimmer is one of the most important piece of equipment). Forget about hang-on skimmers, for your volume, you definitely need a sump tank to house all the large scale bulky equipments you will be adding later.

3. Test kits (Salifert being the favourite brand but can be quite costly).

Once you have 1, 2 and 3. You can start adding Live Rock to your tank for a very long cycling period... so that you have enough time to recover and go another round of shopping for item 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ...

If you are to go for a reef tank (with corals)... you will have to get a Chiller too... $$$

Scary right? Haha... also do check out the Pasar Malam section for 2nd hand items... must check regularly (even at office) coz good stuff usually get snatched pretty fast :)

Good luck!!!

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica