DIE TANK CRASH AFTER I RETURN FM HOLIDAY

jacobus

• SRC Member

hey ppl i just returned from a two week holiday.. my tank semi crashed ... corals either melted away ready ... or weak looking ... but tank goodness i have one anemone left... and its still looking healthy ... fish are doing fine i think ... but i cannot find my algae blenny ... now only left with 3 clowns i hawkfish and a sixline wrasse ... inverts like coco worm and tube worms, black cuke are fine too ... starfish died tho ... any advice for me ?

Yo bro,

Change 20 percent today and test water tommorrow. If ammonia, no2 and no3 still high then try to change another 20%. Had the same experience except 2 anemones died in the tank resulting in some casualty of my fishes. If you are using power filtration equipment then 20 to 30 percent change today should be ok la..

Cheers.

Wee

• SRC Member

thanks for the advice bro .... another thing... when can i start adding LS and corals again ? currently all my fish are doing well... i found the sailfin blenny too... all eating and behaving normally.. i want to make sure .. in case next few days go to LFS hand itchy and start buying stuff ..

• SRC Member
currently all my fish are doing well... i found the sailfin blenny too... all eating and behaving normally..

Can advise did you put in new rock and more sands?

Or just change 50% water... :pinch:

I thinking of redoing my tank= tank clash (similar) loh :yeah:

Bro I don't think u should start stocking so soon... if ur tank crash, something fundamentally wrong happened and if nothing's fix... it can come back again, just like human sickness... changing large volume of water is 1 method, I think there are other things u can look at... with the major water change, the biotope needs some time to readjust back to normal... so adding more bioload now doesn't seem very sensible to me... just my 2 cents :)... furthermore u no need to recover from holiday meh? I am always very broke everytime I return from long holidays, lol.

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

i know what went wrong. i dont have a chiller ... but the tank is in my room ... every night i will turn on the air con to sleep... and tt keeps the water cool ... being away for so long ... and never on air con... the heat from my lighting brought the temp quite high ... and the corals could not take it ... but the fish could ... mebbe this is the explaination ... but too late ... my hand itchy ... and i bought some livestock ( i cannot resist temptation .. sorry.. :paiseh: ) bought since last night i added them in .. today got no problem ... all of them eating well and even claiming territory ready ... btw i got a high fin goby .. 15 bucks .. is it around tt price ? coz at first one of the lfs ppl tell me is 12 ... then when i wanna pay again another guy tell me 18 .. but he say give me discount so 15. ... i abit confused now ..

• SRC Member
btw i got a high fin goby .. 15 bucks .. is it around tt price ? coz at first one of the lfs ppl tell me is 12 ... then when i wanna pay again another guy tell me 18 .. but he say give me discount so 15. ... i abit confused now ..

I also just bought a hi fin goby today. It was much much lower than $15. Plus i buy other things so got further discount.

See here

Think that LFS charge too high. Not to make you feel the pinch but rather to let other reefers know the price so that they know.