Pairing Marron Clown

nightdust

• SRC Member

i had an established maroon clown in my tank which is a female due to its size and being the only clown in my tank so far.. recently i got a much smaller maroon clown with the intention of pairing them up. i first intro the new fella thru a separator container thereafter, i released it into the tank. naturally, it got bitten and chased all over by the bigger clown. now i have both in the container and i have observed trembling behaviour from the smaller fish.. i read somewhere it means it is a sign of submittion. how long more do i have to keep them in before i can release them? how do i know they are paired so that they wun fight when i release em back into the tank? hope someone can enlighten me. Thanks~!

Hi, take a look here: http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?...ndpost&p=536323

I tried to pair my golden maroon clowns. Basically, the smaller one should be in the tank FIRST. If there is already a bigger one, remove her from the tank completely so that she forgets the place is her home, then after a month or so, put her back. She will find the place new and won't boss around.

Note that the shivering behaviour doesn't mean much. It is up to the bigger clown to decide whether she wanna accept the intruding new, smaller clown. Most of the time, there wouldn't be chemistry and the big one will wack the smaller one until he dies. More details are found in my thread.

Good luck! :)

(~ cci[RR]us ~)
A pair of Nemos :: Deep Sand Bed
Solite 2x24W T5 :: Prizm Skimmer with Overflow attachment

Not me. :(

Actually getting them to cohabit peacefully is one thing, getting them to mate and have kids is another story altogether.

I really hope my male maroon clown is horny enough to impregnant the other. Then again, I wonder if the other clown has turned female... :P

(~ cci[RR]us ~)
A pair of Nemos :: Deep Sand Bed
Solite 2x24W T5 :: Prizm Skimmer with Overflow attachment

• SRC Member

I just got my 2 maroon recently.

1 is slightly bigger. Dunno which male or female lah.

Will change ###### is it !? :huh:

Anyway, dump them in together & the big 1 got 2 the anemones 1st.

After 2 days of twitching from the smaller 1 ....

ok liao. Friendly liao. Now 2 share the small little anemones.

Hope yours turns out ok.

Keep us updated !!! :D

• SRC Member

i actually had both of em together in a floating plastic container and they are very peaceful inside... but for the second time running, when i put them back into the tank, the female maroon attacked the smaller clown non stop... now the smaller clown has gone hiding behind my rocks so i cant see it let alone catch it... if i still dun see it tmr then i guess i will catch the bigger maroon out first.. its really hard to pair em up man but the feeling of doing it successfully is lovely..

any of ya has experience of maroons pairing to share with everyone?

• SRC Member

well, i guess like wat the brudders above mentioned - remove the bigger maroon into another holding tank first. let the little fella own the tank before intro the big girl in.

Maxstar: the bigger clown is always the female. in a group of say 10 clown fishes. the biggest is the matriach while the rest are boys. once the matriach is removed, the next biggest boy turns female. i believe its true for maroons as well, but not 100% sure since maroons clown belong to a different family of fish.

any one care to reinforce this point?

What fiona said is true. Once the biggest clownfish of the group dies, her mate(the male paired with her) will grow and become the female of the group while one of the other juveniles will start courtship and become the dominant male in the group. However, maroon clowns only goes in no more then 2 once paired. Anymore maroons added will be disastrous. Try giving ur smaller clownfish a safe haven to hide when introducing them to the larger one. Will help to reduce casualties.

• SRC Member

my smaller clown is in the tank snuggling comfortably in the anemone and kept the bigger clown in a floating container... think i will leave things as they are for a week and try to intro it back into the tank and hope things can work out between them... will keep ya guys update.. :D

ps: would appreciate any advice on it

my smaller clown is in the tank snuggling comfortably in the anemone and kept the bigger clown in a floating container... think i will leave things as they are for a week and try to intro it back into the tank and hope things can work out between them... will keep ya guys update.. :D

ps: would appreciate any advice on it

Is ur avatar a pix of the small maroon? Looks very comfy to me :lol:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica