Jervis' Percula 90

jervismun

• SRC Member

Bro, big mamma gave away liao ah?

Dun leh, very poor thing leh. Kana

used for cycling. Must teach the newbie

to use the "market prawn method". ;)

Anyway, um .... ur tank still got space?

Interested in adopting my goby pair?

The 2 from the beach. Not available

from any LFS. :D Considered rare a not?

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member

umm .. what about releasing Big Mama into the sea ? dunno if maroon is a local species ... i know false percs are found locally though ... my friends father caught a few while on " secret " snorkelling sessions at sentosa ..

I've already checked with the kind bro, his tank has been running with LR and some cleaning crew for 2 to 3 weeks now. He intends to start stocking next few days... FOWLR tank. So he said he will not worry about Big Mama messing around with his corals (no corals to start with hahaha).

You should've seen the damage Big Mama does to my tank... I think giving it away to someone is the most humane thing I can think of doing... and a 2 to 3 week tank is actually not too bad lah. According to the bro, his tank already gone through the A N cycle.

The decision is final... coz I've brought with me Big Mama to my office and the bro will come collect it (together with the tubes) lunch time.

Thanks bro for the concern (and the minor flamings) :)

Note: I did mention to the bro the destruction power of Big Mama and he still wants her :bow::bow::bow:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

What an irresponsible act for a guy with so much passion in reefing

Sorry bros... perhaps I shouldn't use such strong words... I was so so angry at that time... seeing with my very own eyes a big portion of my scaping being damaged... and my Prata injured. Partly my fault also... should've epoxy everything... imagine its strength... being able to move a large piece of Bubble (attached to a piece of small rock) off the cliff!!!

I think I should start a thread to warn any new/unaware reefers of its destruction power :angry:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Anyway, um .... ur tank still got space?

Interested in adopting my goby pair?

The 2 from the beach. Not available

from any LFS. :D  Considered rare a not?

Hey bro Maxstar... so nice of you to offer me your very own catch... as a matter of fact, I've always envy you and sis Monki for your great effort in catching your own LS... having your pair of local Gobies will make my tank much more meaningful... especially can't find in any LFS!!!

Do let me know how/when to collect it from you...now what's the reason of you giving it away? Don't tell me they move rocks too!!! I've had enough in a day :lol::lol::lol:

I will drop by a LFS to buy more epoxy later :P

What an irresponsible act for a guy with so much passion in reefing

Hi bro thanks for advice... I will try to be more responsible next time... but last night, I was really being put in a very emotional state... I'm sure you know the feeling right? Seeing pieces of your scaping and corals falling off every few minutes... or else I wouldn't have put in the cage to catch Big Mama out.

But to be frank with you... this is a pretty unique case where I don't feel any pain of giving it away... I dun usually give away my babies... but this time... the damage is way too much to bear with.

I've been pretty responsible actually, I called the guy up, I asked him what's the state of his tank, I asked if there's any other LS in his tank, I even warned the reefer about Big Mama's destruction power... I'm quite surprised the guy said yes actually. He said he will be starting a thread soon, perhaps we can still see Big Mama for months to come :lol:

Dun worry bro, I've always been very careful when handling LS and I will not let the emotional side(anger especially) takes over... but again... it's quite hard to control sometimes that's why I usually post pix and every detail... to release I guess :lol:

To cut long story short... dun worry bro... Big Mama will be in good hands :lol:

Note: Big Mama collected... em seems like a nice chap... although new in the hobby I'm sure Big Mama is strong enough to handle a bit of mishaps here and there as it has gone through a lot in my tank too :lol: (Oh did I mention it killed its husband 2 weeks after I bought them as a pair?)

• SRC Member

Big mama can make it wan lah.

Damsel sure can 'tong' wan.

Anyway, put her in early then she can

establish territory loh ! :P

Um, bro my gobies are fine, healthy &

doesn't shift rocks. Giving away cos I'm

closing my 2 ft tank.

1 NC is enuff for now. Very busy lah w/

work, sch & reefing.

Wan U to adopt cos yours is "THE" tank

mah. :angel: Must find them good homes.

Ur camera also pwr so will still get to see

them once in a while loh. :lol:

Will PM U when I decom tank then let U know

when collect ! Thanks for taking them in ah !

:thanks:

Y is big mama so destructive? Just because the corals are in the anem's way? So fierce...

You also evil lah, kidnap her house :evil:

EDIT: Anyway, what happens to the anem now? You have no more clowns right?

Wan U to adopt cos yours is "THE" tank

mah. :angel: Must find them good homes.

Ur camera also pwr so will still get to see

them once in a while loh. :lol:

Will PM U when I decom tank then let U know

when collect ! Thanks for taking them in ah !

:thanks:

Err... the first reason... I'm not too sure about "THE" tank... but the second reason is extremely valid lor... :D:D:D I promise to post nice nice pictures of them B)

Sure, anytime u free... maybe can look at your NC too at the same time :)

Y is big mama so destructive? Just because the corals are in the anem's way? So fierce...

You also evil lah, kidnap her house :evil:

EDIT: Anyway, what happens to the anem now? You have no more clowns right?

Big Mama has always been very destructive and territorial... been bullying most of my fishes except my Chevron which it dare not touch... yes, it all started with yesterday afternoon, when the RBTA started moving south (u can refer to my postings here and under Product Review: ATI)... so Big Mama went crazy with all the corals around the RBTA... here are some of the corals "kena" affected:

1. 2 colonies of Zoos (dropped to sand bed)

2. 1 large piece of Green Bubbles (dropped to sand bed, luckily quite low)

3. Hammer (tentacles "kena" bitten)

4. Pink Zoos (got buried by the RBTA)

5. Lime Green Gonio (dropped to the sand bed... bulls-eye onto my Prata)

6. Several pieces of small LR

Stress to others since I tried using the net to catch it... a few attempts then throw in the trap.

As you can see... the damage is extremely huge for me... that's why I didn't even think twice of giving her away... the kind bro who adopted her will only keep large fishes like angels so shouldn't have problem :)

It took her a while to get into the trap actually :evil::evil::evil: Quite drama actually... very emotional... a sense of loss then a sense of achievement (after trapping her)

I actually wanted to give the RBTA away also, but it's very pretty... so I will give it a second chance... I'm sure my Nemo will find it more appealing than those common Zoos :rolleyes:

• SRC Member

I've been pretty responsible actually, I called the guy up, I asked him what's the state of his tank, I asked if there's any other LS in his tank, I even warned the reefer about Big Mama's destruction power... I'm quite surprised the guy said yes actually. He said he will be starting a thread soon, perhaps we can still see Big Mama for months to come :lol:

I guess for a new reefer, anything's tat's free i also will say yes and care abt the consequences later, either sell or give away.

My GM also giving me alot of problems, but what to do if can't give away or sell? Just leave it inside and tend to solve the roots of other problems lor.

I wouldn't give it to a new guy to cycle his tank or even to release into the sea (read: slow but sure death)

Project R.E.

Main Tank: 48" x 18" x 24" 12mm with external overflow piping

Sump Tank: 28" x 14.5" x 12" (3 compartments)

Lightings: T5 HO - Hopar 3* 39w + ATI 2* 54w

Skimmer: Skimz Bullet Beckett

Chiller: Resun CL-650 (28 - 29 °C)

Wavemakers: 2* Seio M620 + 1* Hydor K2 (7100 litre / hr)

Fluidized Reactor: Skimz FR (currently empty)

Pumps: 1x Rio 32HF (Skimmer), 1x Rio 20HF (Return & Chiller)

Filtration: more than 80kg LRs, chaeto

Water Circulation: ~ 4000 litre / hr

Future Plans: additional wavemaker, DIY algae scrubber, DIY overflow box

Previously:

Project R : 36" x 12" x 24" 10mm reef

:blink::blink:

So crazy sia... But then again, see her face also can tell she is not one to be messed with :P (the pic of her 'pulling' her hubbie's 'ear' springs to mind) :D

Haha... it's amazing you guys can still remember the pix I posted so long ago!!! Making my time worthwhile :lol:

I should've seen it coming... the problem is (I've learned after Big Mama) you always feel the fish is rather small in a rather empty LFS tank... you can only see the real size when u release into your tank!!! :lol::lol::lol:

My GM also giving me alot of problems, but what to do if can't give away or sell? Just leave it inside and tend to solve the roots of other problems lor.

I wouldn't give it to a new guy to cycle his tank or even to release into the sea (read: slow but sure death)

Really? How big is your Big Mama? Mine is slightly more than 3.5" :blink: It took me so long to catch it... I can't release back into the tank... who knows next time she grew smarter liao <_< Anyway I've already given it away... there's not turning back... I don't think I can call the bro and ask for my Big Mama back... coz I'm afraid he'll say YES!!! :lol:

The root of the problem is actually my wishy-washy rockscaping... being a half-architect myself, I should've known better... previously I'm very afraid of using epoxy or glue (have not tried in fact) coz I want the scaping to be flexible as I firm up my design and ideas... now I think I have to start making my structure more stable... basically Big Mama proof!!! But I still not sure about permanently fixing corals to my LR... how hard is it to remove corals later if I am to use aquarium standard epoxy? I bought a box of Tunze Epoxy last time.

Major work tonight :)

Work done... 2 1/2 hours... as expected and back ache... now have to sit up straight already ;)

Here's my first piece of LR using epoxy... this piece of LR is quite tricky to stay intact, so 3 sided mounted with Tunze Coral Fix. Used up the entire box tonight!!! :lol:

post-34-1150117669.jpg

If you guys ever wonder what's the extent of the destruction last night... here's a pix of the affected area... like "kena" hit by earthquake or a major landslide... those corals on the sand bed I picked up and arranged there until the new scaping is ready :cry:

post-34-1150117874.jpg

A zoom in pix showing the bulldozing in action... here's how she does it... she will open her jaw very wide (sorta like strengthening her jaw bone) and use her full body weight and aim at corners and tips of corals and rocks... fishes are so brilliant... those rocks are easily 3 times their body weight and size :P

Dunno how Big Mama is doing in the kind bro's tank... will give him a sms later :) Hope she doesn't go crazy looking for her RBTA which happens to be 50km away :lol:

post-34-1150118225.jpg

Here's my latest FTS... most of the corals are not fully opened yet... will take more close up shots later... the water is still a little cloudy!

A bro will come collect my Solite MH later... he is into Freshwater... wah so extravagant... MH for Freshwater!!! See if my tank can inspire him to switch :lol::lol::lol: He is the second person (reefer) to see my tank in person... red carpet plzzzzz :blink:

post-34-1150122871.jpg

• SRC Member
Here's my latest FTS... most of the corals are not fully opened yet... will take more close up shots later... the water is still a little cloudy!

A bro will come collect my Solite MH later... he is into Freshwater... wah so extravagant... MH for Freshwater!!! See if my tank can inspire him to switch :lol::lol::lol: He is the second person (reefer) to see my tank in person... red carpet plzzzzz :blink:

nice tank u got there, bro :yeah: wonder got chance to see the tank one day. No need red carpet la :fear: Any chance of trying some sps colonies at the top area?

A person, himself can be his own Lawyer, but he can never be his own Judge ........

Nice FTS bro,haha see that its quite packed with corals already ;)

See that ur sandbed still has some space,how about filling it up with florida rics :P

I've got a spiltting polyp in Pink... sorta not opening big enough to be considered "happy" so I'm a bit hesitant to get more... and of course the price is quite shocking :shock::shock::shock:

wonder got chance to see the tank one day. No need red carpet la :fear: Any chance of trying some sps colonies at the top area?

When the time is right... will surely invite you :lol:

SPS? emm... not that confident yet... I think I shall not kill unnecessary corals and let the SPS to the experts :lol: But yes, I need to find something to fill up the top portion... perhaps some light-loving toadstool (with green tentacles) or something :)

Here's pix of my seldom-photographed Red Fromia... a nice specimen from bro Qxnviolet :)

post-34-1150128675.jpg

It's about time I do an update on the Polyp Lab Reef-resh™ System... I've been dosing it everynight for the past 2 months... here are my findings (vis-a-vis their claim on their website)

Benefits of running System RF include:

• Greatly enhanced colouration of corals

Yes, I can see that my corals looks better from the day I bought them and they are getting better and better... I've not experienced any corals/inverts losing colour or fading (except for the Pink Birdnest that obviously my tank is not ready for).

• Increased growth rates of corals

Emm... yes and no... I hope my corals and zoos would grow slower... my Yumas and Rics to grow faster.

• Marked improvement in water quality

Yes, my water is always crystal clear... in most cases my fishes look as if they are floating in mid air... sure you guys notice the clarity in my pix... and psst I don't change much water... only 5% every 10 days or so.

• Decreased nuisance algae outbreaks

For a new tank... my tank is considered pretty well maintained when it comes to algaes... with my kinda lighting... a bloom can easily happen every other day.

• Improved fish health

No fatality for the past 4 weeks (except for a blenny that went disappeared the first day I introduced into the tank)... my ick attack only lasted for 5 days and most recovered except the Moorish Idol (that was more than 4 weeks ago).

• Decreased parasite outbreaks

The ick incident... gone and never returns... pretty good considering I've been adding quiet a substantial amount of corals and fishes... and I am not running Ozone or UV.

All the above claims/observations are nothing new... I'm sure you guys read all about them in a progressive form in my pages and pages of postings :lol:

Those interested can read more here

You can also PM me if you have any question, I will try to answer them... if I can't I will direct you to the right person.

post-34-1150129696.jpg