Jervis' Percula 90

jervismun

i m thinking of getting the artica chiller.... cost an arm n a leg man

I know... it keeps me wondering how overpriced are they... Korean made... I can buy 3 Japanese made fridges :lol::lol::lol:

As for me, after the changing of powerheads/pumps... and with the help of iks to better help me manage my power consumption/equipments... I think I can still use my old Teco. My Teco RA240 is only 225W... almost all new chillers are much higher than that... a Resun can easily double that!!! So in the end... I may end up paying more electricity bill if I get a larger chiller :lol:

I already have plans on how to make the full use of my iks... I might even connect my chiller (and the pump) to the iks to further increase power efficiency.

Exciting times ahead!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For me I think chiller will come first, before the Computer Syst thingy since I don't have 1 :(

Bro what's ur temperature right now? If your temperature is around 29ºC in normal days (say evening with air-conditioning)... then you seriously need to consider getting a chiller...

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Guys, I came across a programme called OCEAN AMBASSADOR presented by Underwater World Sentosa.

It's a 2 day, 5 hours each session for group of at least 15 participants. I have no information on the fees yet, but if you guys are interested, I can do some homework.

Here are some of the activities:

1. Marine life conservation talk

2. Guided tour of the Underwater World

3. Behind-the-scene tour

4. Meet the trainers

5. Meet-the-Dolphin session

6. Dolphin interaction

7. Assist in food preparation

8. Feeding of animals

9. Washing of fish kitchen

10. Blah blah blah...

I don't dare to post in the main forum... thinking of doing is low-key... so do let me know if you guys are interested, we can bring our partners, friends and family members along (sorry, only 13 yo and above).

People interested so far: 4 :nc:

Finally... coralline spotted on the glass surface :lol: My tank is maturing :yeah:

post-34-1148711001.jpg

• SRC Member

Bro what's ur temperature right now? If your temperature is around 29ºC in normal days (say evening with air-conditioning)... then you seriously need to consider getting a chiller...

Now my average tank temperate is around 27-28.5ºC.

I have cushion the hottest period of the day with aircon. :evil:

Below is the schedule of activities that affect the temperate of my tank:

1pm - Aircon Auto switch on (timer)

3pm - Aircon Auto switch off (timer)

5pm - 2xT5 blue light Auto switch on (timer)

After 7.30pm (depending on the time when I reached home) - 2 xT5 white light manual switch on

Usually I will get less than 28.5ºC when I reach home. If more than that I will on my aircon for another 2 hours in the evening.

P/S: I have no idea how to connect a chiller to my existing cabinet without much reno <_<

After 7.30pm (depending on the time when I reached home) - 2 xT5 white light manual switch on

P/S: I have no idea how to connect a chiller to my existing cabinet without much reno <_<

Manual controlling the white light is not the best solution... u need to provide constant no. of hours per day... put them on timer, your 2 white tubes will not affect the temp much. Another way is to switch off the blue once the white is on, you can overlap them 30 minutes or so. Remember, your corals need white more than blue :lol:

That's why I am getting the iks, I will use the computer to set and control the lighting pattern much more accurate (down to 1 second precision) and will use temperature to control a lot of my equipments.

Hehe... the possibilities are quite limitless and I love it! :lol:

My Green Leather (background) is discharging slimy film :erm:

post-34-1148753170.jpg

Not so pretty sight #1: 2 polyps Yuma is melting... the pink is so intense... what a waste :(

post-34-1148753257.jpg

Not so pretty sight #2: Pink Goniopora... still not opening :(

post-34-1148753348.jpg

Starting to plan my Lighting pattern... lights can now be centrally controlled up to 1 second precision :) I may use the IKS to control my chiller + pump too, the IKS will allow me to set my chiller to different temp (26ºC night / 28ºC noon) to align with the amount of lighting. This will mimic closer to nature and also to lighten some burden off my underpower Teco RA240. The pump connecting to the chiller will only run when there's a need to chill the water... this will allow energy saving and less heat generated within the system. This idea of mine will not be possible using conventional electronic timer.

For the above simulation, I will be using the Timer function and the Temperature control function :lol:

I will try to come up with more ideas to fully utilize the IKS Aquastar :)

post-34-1148755531.jpg

• SRC Member
Guys, I came across a programme called OCEAN AMBASSADOR presented by Underwater World Sentosa....

People interested so far: 4 :nc:

You have a PM...

I am just an average FR (fish reefing) writer. If you like my FRs, please upz my points.

• SRC Member

Now my average tank temperate is around 27-28.5ºC.

I have cushion the hottest period of the day with aircon. :evil:

Below is the schedule of activities that affect the temperate of my tank:

1pm - Aircon Auto switch on (timer)

3pm - Aircon Auto switch off (timer)

5pm - 2xT5 blue light Auto switch on (timer)

Usually I will get less than 28.5ºC when I reach home. If more than that I will on my aircon for another 2 hours in the evening.

chiller a must bro for coral unless u into FOWLR

I am just an average FR (fish reefing) writer. If you like my FRs, please upz my points.

You have a PM...

Heh... people interested so far: 5... need 10 more <_<

Here's an update:

(Top to bottom)

1. Aqua Medic (AM) Nitratreductor 1000 w/ AM Dosing Pump SP3000

[to help maintain NO3 at <10] - 4.5W

Water from main tank ---> overflow comb

---> 2. Prefilter Sponge

[added recently, first line of defense... using Aqua Master Polyester Fibre... help reduce water splashing sound too]

---> 3. AM Turboflotor Percula Protein Skimmer w/ AM PH2000

[primary wastes/nutrients extractor... wet skimming] - 19W

---> 4. AM Bactoballs

[water rush through a channel originally designed for sponge... use bioballs instead to maintain a more consistent flow as sponge may get blocked sometimes affecting the flow... the high amount of flow (approx. 2500l/h) will avoid nutrients build-up]

---> 5. Aquapharm SORB-4

[water rush out of the channel directly on a bag (200g) of SORB-4... recently added to further reduce PO4... very successful as the growth of algae was significantly reduced... PO4 is maintained at <0.03]

---> 6. Chiller Teco RA240 using Aquabee 3000

[outlet at the right most compartment using split head with duckbeak... temperature is maintained at 27ºC] - 225W + 45W

---> 7. Circulation pump using Aquabee 1000

[water is then return to the main tank via a split head with duckbeak] - 10W

---> 8. AM Phosphatfiler using Aquabee 500

[water pump into Phosphatfiler... filled with 50% Antiphos 50% Carbolit... water is filled top down... using gravity to help increase flow hence a much smaller pump is needed] - 5W

---> 9. Tunze Osmolator

[sensors are positioned here to auto top-up water to accurately maintain the level of water inside the chambers]

---> 10. Tunze Filter (Retrofit]

[additional mechanical filter] - 15W

I will find use for the right most compartment (lowest in the pix)... currently this chamber is under utilized and the LR I dumped in there are collecting way too much detritus aka Nitrate factory.

Any suggestions? :thanks:

post-34-1148792000.jpg

Beautiful skimmate... 2 days worth of hardwork :lol:

post-34-1148794930.jpg

---> 2. Prefilter Sponge

[added recently, first line of defense... using Aqua Master Polyester Fibre... help reduce water splashing sound too]

My latest addition to the filtration system... a simple lump of wool... my so-called first line of defense :D:D:D Also double as "silencer" :yeah:

2 days worth of hardwork :sick:

post-34-1148795105.jpg

It's a beautiful Sunday and yet no LFS shopping for me :cry2: Gotto save up for the arrival of my iks next week :blink: You guys have fun and do update me ok? Make me drool :erm:

• SRC Member
It's a beautiful Sunday and yet no LFS shopping for me :cry2: Gotto save up for the arrival of my iks next week :blink: You guys have fun and do update me ok? Make me drool :erm:

Pls share with us on yr new toy next week! :D

Pls share with us on yr new toy next week! :D

Ok I will do a comprehensive review on the product :lol:

My Doc Wrasse... the Chevron Tang rejected it the first 2 days... but now... they "kawan" already :lol:

post-34-1148821913.jpg

Another pix of this wonderful creature... just hope that it will stay alive a little longer in my tank :(

post-34-1148821990.jpg

Coral feeding time!!! Jervis' Mix :lol: (Reefroid, Cyclop-eeze, Zooplanktons)

post-34-1148823173.jpg

Emmm... my Orange Plate moved... didn't know they can move around :erm:

post-34-1148823719.jpg

Today is Sunday and it's dosing day... every Sunday and Thursday :lol:

post-34-1148824117.jpg