Good marine fish tank for novice

lawjk

Tell us roughly ur budget, size... then all the bros here can help you. Actually if you plan to keep only fish, can be pretty straight-forward in terms of design. Where will u put this tank?

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

I'm new but i rear freshwater fish before. So quite a newbie here. I'm looking at 2ft to 3ft? Currently i dont have budget yet maybe not more than $800. Another of more concern is due to the salt water it will damage the fish tank and i was told not to get those wooden cover fish tank with screw around.

Which store do u recommend bro.. Thanks...

i still havent decide to put the fish tank in my room or living room yet. If put in my room may be smaller.

$800 for a 2ft tank... emm still possible but u need to be really prudent with ur selections. Yes, do not buy the wrong type of freshwater tank, they are usually not suitable. However, Juwel tanks are actually not too bad for FISH ONLY tank. At least they have most of the stuff needed in for a couple of hundreds... then u just need to get a protein skimmer.

Let other bros help you out... I don't think u can get a 2ft tank with cabinet + sump + lighting + filters + skimmer for $800.

If you wanna try Juwel, can go Sam Yick (aka Sam's Pet) at Marine Parade or United Square. Juwel 2ft is quite affordable. But if you wanna try corals later, maybe a bit restricted.

Of course u can always look for a used tank under the Pasar Malam section. Sometimes u may even find extremely good deal like $150 for the whole set!!! Look around... :heh:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

sorry to cut in, but i am actually on the lookout for either a 3x1.8x2, or a 4x2x2 tank, thickness around 10-12mm. how much you guys think it will cost, if i have it custom-made? if i include a cabinet also?

I asked a LFS before for a 3.5ft tank with Chengal wood cabinet plus simple sump... exceeding $1200, haven't neg yet. So prob allocate $1350 for a 4ft 12mm tank... but I'm sure if u are to shop around... :upsidedown:

• SRC Member

cos i will be using the tank as a divider... so its needed to be viewed from 3 sides.. 2 long and 1 short side... and not to imply anything, but i have a serious bad experience with second hand tanks... a little apprehensive...

Also the cabinet material makes a difference. If they use Chengai/Chengal wood, cost a few hundred bucks more. So it's price vs durability. For me.... I'll probably go for Chengal... and Starphire... so end up blowing the budget, so rather get a ready-built tank. No hidden costs... u know how we all want the best for our tank :)