hondaker's 2.5ft

hondaker

• SRC Member

Started tank in July'05, crashed in Sept'05 due to noobiness (crushed corals as sandbed, no LRs, no skimmer, overhanging filter, PL lights, temp 30+, etc)

So leave tank fishless for around 1-2 months, in the process, changed CC to grade 1 sand bed, added LRs to kick start ANN cycle.

Currently, tank is around 5 months old since adding first fish after the re-start

Tank specs:

100litres 2.5ft curve front custom

Jebo 4-ply 1200L/Hr canister filter attached to surface skimmer (with filter wool and Seachem's Seagel)

Weipro Sa-2011 with powerhead double acting as circulation

Seio M820 as main circulation

Rainbow 4xT5NO lightings

Tornado fan

Addictives:

Seachem Reef Complete (weekly)

Seachem Marine Trace (weekly)

List of LS can be found in my signature

Weekly water change of 20% with Marinium sea salt mix with overnight tap water

Monthly maintenence of canister filter

First full tank shot

post-34-1143402144.jpg

• SRC Member

Hondaker,

Why everybody sea fan doing well except mine ? :angry::cry:

I almost missed the black sun cos its in the shadows.

A very "sunny" tank that doesn't need much lighting.

Pictures looks ok leh.

I can only see 1 nemo, cleaner, sea cuke & 1 flame.

Nothing else ?

raydiative,

Sun do not need light. Neither does the sea fan....

Gorgeous sea fan!!! Very healthy and well spread specimen... what u use to target feed the fan? Is the purple sponge hard to keep? Very nice purple colour :heh:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

raydiative: my lightings are weak, so doesnt matter which area i put them in

Maxstar81: maybe at the point of photo taking, most of the LS are behind the rocks, i have quite a number of caves/holes in my scaping, haha

jervismun: i dont target feed, is it even possible? always think that the seafan will filter feed those copepods or something, so i make sure i regularly does phytoplankton to upkeep my population of copepods for it

the purple sponge, i really dont know, u need to find a good spot for it in your tank, for mine, the original spot the sponge was in, wasnt good, so it detached itself from the original rock and stuck onto its current location now

same goes for the blue sponge

Why don't you target feed your sea fan? Em... your sea fan looks extremely healthy to me... perhaps no need la. How long has the sea fan been with you? For me, I dilute some Zooplankton (powder) and Cyclop-eeze (powder) in some tank water, use a 5ml syringe (that comes with the Salifert test kits) to target them slowly... usually 3 rounds, 3 mins intervals... damn time consuming I must say... been with me for 3+ weeks already :unsure:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

erm, bcoz their tentacles dont look sticky at all to me, haha

can share what brand of zoo plankton u used?

or it it better to feed live rotifer for the seafan instead?

always scared to add more food, coz my suns consumed a lot of food in each feeding

easily my larger colonies of suns/dendros can consume 2 cubes of mysis each

• SRC Member
Why don't you target feed your sea fan? Em... your sea fan looks extremely healthy to me... perhaps no need la. How long has the sea fan been with you? For me, I dilute some Zooplankton (powder) and Cyclop-eeze (powder) in some tank water, use a 5ml syringe (that comes with the Salifert test kits) to target them slowly... usually 3 rounds, 3 mins intervals... damn time consuming I must say... been with me for 3+ weeks already :unsure:

that's such a tedious task... sigh... all the hardwork, time, money and effort just to maintain our tank... but its worth it yeah?? :whistle

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

Bro hondaker: I use Marinium Zooplankton and Argent Cyclop-eeze... sometimes add Aquaz Phytoplankton too (just for variation sake). Will look for other brand of zooplankton for variation... target feed them every 2 days. Live food for sea fan? Have yet to experience that. Bought a bag of Live Brine Shrimp last week and they seem to be too large for the sea fan to consume... but my fishies going all crazy!!!

Bro Raydiative: It's worth the effort... aiya just complaining only la... but deep down I want the best for them... I am free at home after work anyway... at least I find feeding sea fans more entertaining than watching Channel U, lol! Money??? Of course well spent la... come to think of it... we are considered very lucky to be able to buy our passion with money... some ppl got money but dunno how to find passion :evil:

Bro hondaker i think there's a kind of phytoplankton known as marine snow... heard for some other reefers here is quite good... any bros here agree or disagree??

Em... I heard Sea Fans prefer zooplanktons over phytos... so not sure leh... but I can always get a bottle of marine snow to filter feed my clams :) RB should have it right?

• SRC Member

heard of marine snow, not reallys sure what it is, as not many of my friends are using it(in fact none)

but phytoplankton-wise, i guess they feed the live zooplanktons in our system, hence causing a boom in population, indirectly will benefit the sea fan as well

jervismun: brine shrimps are too big for the sea fan, i guess what they need are those live food which the ###### eye cannot see(eg, rotifers). i still noob at seafan, but will try out the marinium zooplankton to see if they respond well to that

:off: anyone at ah beng or irwana yesterday(sunday)? their sea fan opening up real nice, what is special is that ah beng's specimen, the branches are blue in color, not like our more common type which are brown