My First Clam!!!

jervismun

Finally... my very first clam... not a fantastic piece as the price is quite affordable.

I am currently running a 24g NC with Solite 150W MH 14000ºK. Looking at the photo below, do you think my clam will get sufficient light sitting on the sand bed?

The tank is 17" tall and distance between MH and water surface is approx. 8" (9 hours lighting each day).

:thanks: for your help!

post-53-1142772953.jpg

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

The below pix show the angle placement of the clam. Is there a preferred angle of placement?

It is now facing the current and the current is not very strong as the wavemaker is actually focusing on the top area.

The clam was blue/green at the LFS just now... em... how come now looks purple? :erm:

post-53-1142773200.jpg

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

yup, sufficient light, but is your clam a little like the wrong side? usually the inhilant is where the base of clam will be.

Thanks! I was already wondering about it... ok I will turn it around. Thanks for that life-saving advice :thanks:

I bought it from PR for only $25 a piece. Croceas, not Ultra Maxima. The slightly larger ones (nice Green colour) are only $30 a piece.

• SRC Member

Dun know what to say... :huh:

Very nice indeed. :D

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

The below pix show the angle placement of the clam. Is there a preferred angle of placement?

It is now facing the current and the current is not very strong as the wavemaker is actually focusing on the top area.

The clam was blue/green at the LFS just now... em... how come now looks purple?  :erm:

Becos the color you see from the top and through the glass is different... Through the glass, will not see it true color due to the glass will filter away some colors...

Unless you using low iron glass like starphire and diament..

It is a nice crocea you got there... lol... Never tried clams before... Your 150w should be able to support it... Will need some dosing of phytoplankton if it is small, they dun really make their own food...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

Becos the color you see from the top and through the glass is different... Through the glass, will not see it true color due to the glass will filter away some colors...

Unless you using low iron glass like starphire and diament..

It is a nice crocea you got there... lol... Never tried clams before... Your 150w should be able to support it... Will need some dosing of phytoplankton if it is small, they dun really make their own food...

My clam is not too small, sorta medium size. But I will still feed Phytoplankton once in a while... I think I will use Starphire or Diament for my next tank (at least the front panel). I know it will be much more costlier... hey, what good is a fish tank if you can't see the real colour of the LS!!!

If I don't remember wrongly croceas are actually rock boring clams, meaning they will attach themselves to a piece of rock and slowly burrow into it by dissolving the rock with a secretion.

Croceas are also one of the most light demanding species compared to maximas and derasas. It will be more happy if it is closer to the light source. The best bet would be around the placement of your leather coral or if possible higher up. 150 W metal halides don't really exhibit the best light penetration compared to 250 W. Furthermore 14,000K bulbs have the lowest light intensity compared to 6,500K or even 10,000K bulbs. If you had 250 W halides at 14,000K I'm sure you might ble able place it at the bottom but since it is 150 W 14,000K it's best to be on the safe side of things by placing it as high as possible. :peace:

Small clams require more phytoplankton compared to larger clams slimpy because they are at a critical stage of development. They have a great amount of growing to do and thus require the frequent feedings of phytoplankton to grow rapidly. It's best if you can afford to feed them daily by inverting a glass bottle over the clam and introducing phytoplankton into the bottle via a small syringe. That way the phytoplankton is utilized better and does not go all over the place (Eg. to your skimmer).

And both calcium and kH levels are very important to clams for shell growth. It is recommended to keep an eye on these 2 parameters, especially kH. Try to keep Ca levels around 400-450 ppm and kH around 8-10.

Hope I did'nt sound too wordy, after all clams are CITES II organisms and should be given the best care possible.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

why not take a photo from the top? then we can all see its very nice colours!! :D

Hehe my clam is very shy :P

post-53-1142857379.jpg

If I don't remember wrongly croceas are actually rock boring clams, meaning they will attach themselves to a piece of rock and slowly burrow into it by dissolving the rock with a secretion.

Croceas are also one of the most light demanding species compared to maximas and derasas. It will be more happy if it is closer to the light source. The best bet would be around the placement of your leather coral or if possible higher up. 150 W metal halides don't really exhibit the best light penetration compared to 250 W. Furthermore 14,000K bulbs have the lowest light intensity compared to 6,500K or even 10,000K bulbs. If you had 250 W halides at 14,000K I'm sure you might ble able place it at the bottom but since it is 150 W 14,000K it's best to be on the safe side of things by placing it as high as possible. :peace:

Small clams require more phytoplankton compared to larger clams slimpy because they are at a critical stage of development. They have a great amount of growing to do and thus require the frequent feedings of phytoplankton to grow rapidly. It's best if you can afford to feed them daily by inverting a glass bottle over the clam and introducing phytoplankton into the bottle via a small syringe. That way the phytoplankton is utilized better and does not go all over the place (Eg. to your skimmer).

And both calcium and kH levels are very important to clams for shell growth. It is recommended to keep an eye on these 2 parameters, especially kH. Try to keep Ca levels around 400-450 ppm and kH around 8-10.

Hope I did'nt sound too wordy, after all clams are CITES II organisms and should be given the best care possible.

Bro I can confirm that... my Croceas comes with a piece of rock attached to the back of the shell, it's angular so placing it upwright is hard.

Emm... I will let it stay on the sand bed for 2 to 3 days, if it doesn't look healthy I will move it to higher grounds... the problem with leather position is strong current.

My clam is actually not too small... about 3 1/2" from tip to tip. Yes I will still feed Aquaz Phytoplankton the same way I feed my Blue Sea Fan.

Both KH and Calcium is within range (and been very stable for the last 2 weeks).

Yes, just like my Sea Fan, I will take very good care of it :angel:

Ladies and gentlemen... please put your hands together...

post-53-1142857944.jpg

nice ! and looks pretty healthy so far. and I can see that you righted it up. :lol:

Thanks to you bro! :)

Bro Jervismun,

So sorry to hijack ur thread.

My anemone seems to like cover my crocea making it unable to open up.

Note the anemone base stretching over the mantle of the clam? <_<

Anyone know how to send it away? (Not to the power head of coz)

Maybe blowing it with the pwr head might cause it to move elseway..

U guys reckon?

post-53-1142867644.jpg

Bor Jervismun,

Forgot to mention..

Your tank is nice!

Clam is nice too.

Planning to get more?

:P

Thanks bro... not at the moment, wanna see if this clam can do well in my new tank... my next clam will prob be a gold ultra maxima, lol. :rolleyes: