Advice on PVC Rack Support

planetg

• SRC Member

I've read lots about PVC rack support and remembered some useful info on SRC but couldn't find it.

i even remembered reading on RC about drilling little holes along the PVC pipe for breeding pods!

Would appreciate pics or words of advice as to how to best secure and aquascape with such rack support.

So please get the pics rollin'

Hi Planetg,

Nice meeting you at PR yesterday! :)

Here's my thread where I chronicled the setting up of my current tank. There's some info on my pvc rack here.

The photos should give you a clue. I used flat pvc sheets cut to the size I want as the horizontal shelves and horizontal base and these are welded to PVC pipes as the legs. You have to first plan the look of the reef and make the height and width of the rack accordingly. My right pvc rack is actually trapezoid to cater for large LR to be placed at the back and sloping narrower nearer the front glass. (Take a look at my latest tank pix to see how my LR structure is finalised)

I didn't want to use eggcrate structures as I think they are too flimsy and glaringly white. They are also bulky in nature and prevent fishes from swimming through. No problems with PVC pipes as they are rigidly strong and take up less space. Also, being grey means it's far easier to camouflage/not take notice.

The bottom PVC sheet was cushioned with filter pads to be placed on the glass before sand was poured in to secure the rack in place so it won't move. The flat base will prevent pressure on the glass from rack legs (like most people would do) as the weight is distributed.... and reduce the risk of a sand grain causing the glass base of my tank to crack due to the weight of LR resting on it. The filter pad cushion also helps prevents that.

I drilled my pipe legs to allow water to go in as the structure actually floats due to air being trapped inside the welded parts.

Hope this helps!