What will be your dream reef tank like?

As you guys might have known... I am planning for my next tank already. Yes, it will definitely be larger than my current 24g NC, but I am also playing with the idea of not having a conventional 3ft / 4ft tank. I will design the whole system from top to bottom... and I hope you guys can chip in to make this everybody's dream tank.

Appreciate suggestions from you guys... once I have accumulate enough info, I will start designing it. Do expect to see conceptual drawings, 3D renderings, materials and equipments specs along the way...

I will get my bonus (profit-sharing) this May/June. So we still have around 2 months to design it.

Come on guys, let your creative juice flows... :thanks:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

is space a constrain? it not, i guess a deeper tank(breathwise) will be better than the conventional 3/4ft, it allows for more unique scaping

Space is quite a constraint. The most I can go with the breath is around 2ft (not more than that). Or else, I will have difficulty moving around the room comfortably. Length if about 3ft. I know it simply means 3 x 2. But I really want to try something more unique... so need you guys to help.

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

have it really tall? like around 3 foot tall... this way you can have a lot of space for vertical scaping, and enough space for fishes to swim too... but then, doing the scaping will be an excitement in the first place...

have it really tall? like around 3 foot tall... this way you can have a lot of space for vertical scaping, and enough space for fishes to swim too... but then, doing the scaping will be an excitement in the first place...

Yeah I guess having a tall tank will solve my space problem (with higher water volume). Can always have a 4" DSB to start with. Just have to make sure my hand can reach the bottom without difficulty.

I've read that tall tank is not good for oxygenation as the water surface is limited. I can always solve that problem with a few good wavemakers.

Yeah... I can visualize a tall peak with corals growing all the way to the top! wow! At a corner left corner perhaps. What u think? hehe

My hand cannot reach 3 ft deep, lol.

• SRC Member

hahaha... right now in my mind i can picture you leaning on your tummy against the glass, and bending into the tank, like drapping a towel over a wall.. haha... den u fall in... :evil::evil::evil:

i would not worry bout oxygenation too much, cos with a skimmer, there is enough disolved air in the water to sustain life for nearly a full day, with a tank your size and not too much bioload tank... if the power suddenly goes off...

hahaha... right now in my mind i can picture you leaning on your tummy against the glass, and bending into the tank, like drapping a towel over a wall.. haha... den u fall in... :evil::evil::evil:

i would not worry bout oxygenation too much, cos with a skimmer, there is enough disolved air in the water to sustain life for nearly a full day, with a tank your size and not too much bioload tank... if the power suddenly goes off...

You are so evil... and talking about evil... how come we are still awake at this crazy hour? The power here is pretty stable, at least throughout my 2+ years here, not a single incident of that nature happen. So not to worry so much yeah? For such high-tech setup, I'm sure I will have back up plan in case of...

Guys I am now designing the sump tank (below the display tank naturally) and I am gonna use all Tunze products!!! haha. If successful, maybe can be a local Tunze showtank. You guys have any idea if the local distributors carry the entire range o products found on the net?

www.tunze.com

Haha, diehard tunze supporter. I guess if you really need, you can get our sponsers to import whichever product you need, shouldn't be much of a problem. You new tank will be in your study? Why not put it in the living area?

Coz I spend most of my home-time inside the study, sitting in front of my computer, lol. And it's nearer to the bathroom too.

Ok I will try to talk to the Tunze distributors for indent info... this is gonna cost me a bomb :nuke:

Will introduce the equipments in 3 phases, 1 to 2 months apart.

Thinking of a short (shallow) tank instead of a tall tank. I am thinking of creating a shallow water reef with strong sunlight and strong waves. Creating a small portion that mimics the ocean instead of dumping in corals and fishes that caught my eyes... so lots of research to be done, hopefully I can keep all species found from a single location. I think this will bring the hobby to the next level...

Oh another reason for a shallow tank is I might need to have quite a high cabinet to fit all my equipments, sump, refugium and chiller. For easy access also lah! Don't want to always climb on some stools and get my armpit wet, lol.

What say you?

Bro,

If budget not too much a concern, check out the curved edges tanks like those in Mt E hospital. Cool!

Oh I kinda like the one at Mount E... but the problem is distortion. I don think it's very natural to see your fish in distorted view... or appears larger at some parts, lol. And cleaning can be a problem too. Even my NC with a slight bow front is giving me a problem removing algaes off the rounded edges.

What about a very long, narrow and short tank? I will have it quite high (almost eye level). Plenty of room beneath it for sump and etc. Shorter tank can use less MH. I just need a space wide enought to store my chiller... sounds like a unique tank design. What u think?

• SRC Member

You are so evil... and talking about evil... how come we are still awake at this crazy hour? The power here is pretty stable, at least throughout my 2+ years here, not a single incident of that nature happen. So not to worry so much yeah? For such high-tech setup, I'm sure I will have back up plan in case of...

ya know, if u are worried about power outage, i can suggest u getting a UPS unit (uninterrupt power supply). Just tune the sensor to activate the unit the moment there is a power outage.

Good investment ya know? When it comes to Live-support systems / equipments money are always well-spent. Its quite affordable actually.

dancing_girl2.gifSpirit.gif

ya know, if u are worried about power outage, i can suggest u getting a UPS unit (uninterrupt power supply). Just tune the sensor to activate the unit the moment there is a power outage.

Good investment ya know? When it comes to Live-support systems / equipments money are always well-spent. Its quite affordable actually.

Do you have a product to recommend/or came across? Do share with me, yes I think it will be a sound investment, although I have not experience any power cut within this 3 years (in my new home).

I have this initial idea of 2 tanks in 1. Forming a 'L' shape. With the larger one (around 40g) as the main reef tank. The smaller one (around 15g) can be a nano setup. The rock works will make it looks like one whole piece, so only a glass that will divide the 2 tanks.

They will share the same sump (around 25g) with Refuge... all equipments at the sump. The only equipments appear in the main tank(s) are my 3 wavemakers.

What do you think?