Change 40% water after 2 weeks of cycling

• SRC Member

Hi,

I know tt i not supposed to change water when im cycling my tank but the two fishes got sickness...i scared it will spread...tts y i change 40% of the water...does tt means i have to cycle all over again? I have abt a week old biohome (300g red + 300g grey) in my 1.5ft tank.

Initially im using all NSW but due to time factor, when i do a 40% water change, i got no time to change it n hence i use salt mix + water...

Pls advise.

Regards,

Darren

Hi,

I know tt i not supposed to change water when im cycling my tank but the two fishes got sickness...i scared it will spread...tts y i change 40% of the water...does tt means i have to cycle all over again? I have abt a week old biohome (300g red + 300g grey) in my 1.5ft tank.

Initially im using all NSW but due to time factor, when i do a 40% water change, i got no time to change it n hence i use salt mix + water...

Pls advise.

Regards,

Darren

check ur nitrite level now . anway u have fishes in ur tank whiloe cycling?

if it is that , they might be suffering from ammonia or nitrite poisoning

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

Can you explain in detail what kinda sickness? Best if you have pix... so that other newbies can also learn from your experience.

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member
Can you explain in detail what kinda sickness? Best if you have pix... so that other newbies can also learn from your experience.

that stupid disease: clownfish disease...

i change 40% water, does tt means i have restart the cycling again?

I am no expert but the best way to find out is to test the water parameters, mainly Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate. From the readings, you will be able to tell.

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

sometimes it could be not the water parameters that has gone wrong, cos when i set up my tank, my fishes went in after 1 week of cycling...

i discovered it could be the fishes themselves, cos i recently got 3 clownfishes, when i got them they were ok, but upon closer inspection in my tank i saw they had cynide poisoning. they all died with their mouths wide open... haiz. even reliable LFS sometimes could bring in such fishes, as they themselves will not know, cos the suppliers may not have been informed also...

but this thing happens once in a blue moon, for me at least...

anyway i had a clownfish which i think had clownfish disease, recovered after a while...

I am no expert but the best way to find out is to test the water parameters, mainly Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate. From the readings, you will be able to tell.

From the readings, you will be able to tell at which stage your tank is in right now. Regarding 40% water change, I don't think it will affect much, it may just take slightly longer with the intro of new water. No LR yet right? Coz, LR can help speed things.

Hi,

Pls advise.

Regards,

Darren

Personally, I don't think this is the best way to cycle your tank (with 2 cute clowns). Normally people will throw a dead market prawn in there for cycling. It's kinda cruel and definitely too much for the clowns to go through in there.

• SRC Member

From the readings, you will be able to tell at which stage your tank is in right now. Regarding 40% water change, I don't think it will affect much, it may just take slightly longer with the intro of new water. No LR yet right? Coz, LR can help speed things.

i have LRs, zoo n ###### shrimps too...

i have LRs, zoo n ###### shrimps too...

I am confused... cycling your tank with so many LS and inverts in there? Perhaps we misunderstood you, I think you are over with the beginning nitrification cycle. If that's the case, 40% (although drastic) water change is ok, IMO.

• SRC Member

I am confused... cycling your tank with so many LS and inverts in there? Perhaps we misunderstood you, I think you are over with the beginning nitrification cycle. If that's the case, 40% (although drastic) water change is ok, IMO.

nope...i bought ovr with another guy n all tis stuff r included in the package...

• SRC Member

guys stop pinpointing him bout introducing LS into the tank so early in the cycling process... why not help him to solve the current problem of the water issue?

in my opinion, its alright to change so much water, but then, you will have to cycle your tank for a few more days. let the tank complete the ANN cycle. it will be a little tricky with your LS inside now. one of the reasons of not introducing LS into the tank during cycling period, is so that the load will not keep on increasing, and any sudden spikes will not affect anything. remove the 2 clowns and put them into a beta cage and monitor them if necessary. but IMO, there should be nothing that will affect the zoos and sexys unless u spill vinegar into the tank...

as uncle soon said, if the water is good, the fishes will recover.

• SRC Member
guys stop pinpointing him bout introducing LS into the tank so early in the cycling process... why not help him to solve the current problem of the water issue?

in my opinion, its alright to change so much water, but then, you will have to cycle your tank for a few more days. let the tank complete the ANN cycle. it will be a little tricky with your LS inside now. one of the reasons of not introducing LS into the tank during cycling period, is so that the load will not keep on increasing, and any sudden spikes will not affect anything. remove the 2 clowns and put them into a beta cage and monitor them if necessary. but IMO, there should be nothing that will affect the zoos and sexys unless u spill vinegar into the tank...

as uncle soon said, if the water is good, the fishes will recover.

no more fish liaoz...like tt i must wait at least how long more....2 weeks counted? in my tank, i have zeolite, biohome n activated carbon. I also add in cycle solution which is powerful biological supplement which rapidly matures new aquarium and filters.

• SRC Member
We cant really tell you how many days or even weeks to wait before its safe to add in LS. Do a water parameter test and if ammonia and nitrites are undetectable, and the nitrate is low enough, you can start to stock up slowly...

i havent buy water test yet....heard tt its a waste of money n only used when u r starting the tank...is it true? hence im still looking ard cheap used water test kit...no money liaoz....

• SRC Member
Hrmz, its not really a waste of money...i think you'll spend even more topping up lost LS if your water parameters are out. At least get a nitrate test kit.... :)

$30 plus lehz...expensive...

any lobang? i been to many LFS liaoz....ard the same price...