Nano tank in bedroom

Dazer

• SRC Member

Hi guys! Its summer now in perth and time to update my 2nd nano tank. Tank is setup in december last year to house my loose corals and function as a recovery tank. Size is about 2.5 gallon run by a hangon filter, small powerhead and a 36watt 50/50 light. The only inhibitant is my anemone crab which like to rest on the green star polyps. 10% water change is conducted everyweek since i'm just less than 5 mins drive to the beach. Really expensive to get nano fishes. Eg. Purple firegoby cost $45 aussie, cleaner shrimp at $130.

Here are the pics. Sorry for the blur image. :D

post-69-1141953676.jpg

WOW! AUD120 for a cleaner shrimp??? That's daylight robbery!!!

I bought a White-banded (a small specimen) for SGD5 two days ago. The larger specimen only costs SGD12!

Oh I love Singapore!!!

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Last of the pics.

Yeah. Thats why lifestock such as fishes are so expensive in australia due to the strict laws.

Actually I do understand the need for discouraging (especially newbies like myself) stocking their new tanks too fast, too many. It happens in Singapore a lot coz LS are quite affordable. Anyone can just fill up their tank in a couple of days just to end up having a "wipe-out" crash.

But AUD120 for a shrimp is way too much... at least LS in the US are more reasonable.

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

No chiller used. Just throw icecubes or float a bottle of ice to chill the water to roughly 27 degrees. If i'm not mistaken, australia has strict laws with regards to importing of invertebrates. Many of the marine fishes are collected by licensed collectors. Thats why invertebrates like cleaner shrimp cost so much as they are collected by the divers. I collect seawater every week to do my waterchanges.

Ah ic... well that will definitely force you guys to be a concentious hobbyist. Coz any mishaps or "crash" is gonna be a very expensive and painful experience. Sometimes, regulations are there for a reason :D

How much are they sellling "bred in captivity" specimens? Say a percula?

• SRC Member

Lets say homebred common clown fish. over here is about 20-25 aussie dollars each. Imported yellow tang at $130, flameangel at about $150, bicolor dottyback at $45. That is why the aussies are particulary cautious when they commit themselves to lifestocks cause its really expensive. Singapore is really blessed cause we practically can import any kind of lifestocks to our liking. Certain lifestocks are not allowed into australia such as Ricordia floridas, neon gobies etc. Guess they are really strict with regards to what they import in incase the newly introduced species start creating havoc in their enviroment. Famous example is the canetoad.

It's fascinating how different the same hobby can be in diff countries. Yeah, I think Singapore is quite blessed in that sense. Even when it comes to imported equipments, I'm sure Singapore is cheaper than other neighbouring countries, say Malaysia. But Hong Kong is still the cheapest I believe.

So the next time one sees a tank from overseas, one have to understand the restrictions the hobbyist has gone through in order to appreciate the tank to its fullest.

Aust is exp but at least you get lots of freebies frags... now that is rare in Singapore! lol

• SRC Member

LS being expensive is actually a blessing in disguise.. it really stops our fellow reefers from stocking up too much at too fast a pace... makes us really think bout it, whether our water is ready or not.... if the prata dies... a few hundred bucks down the drain.. nooooooooo........!!!

• SRC Member

Hrmz, if stuff are really that expensive here, i do not think most of us will be here in the 1st place. Im sure i won't if a shrimp costs $150. In my opinion, high prices will not do much good. High prices will only prevent common people out there like me from ever stepping into the hobby and learning about it. Im sure the responsible reefers out here outnumbers the irresponsible. I rather the prices are kept as theyare now. If sacrificing some fishes and corals to the irresponsible reefers bacause of low prices means more people can enjoy the hobby, i do not see why not. Im not a saint. I will not cry and go sleepless because some fishes die inthe hands of someone else. Prices are high enough as it is, im sure lots of us have spent alot in the hobby already. Ever skipped meals and skimp and save to get a piece of equipment or LS? Im sure lots of us have the experience....just my 2 cents....cheers! Reef on! :):peace: I LOVE this hobby! :upsidedown:

My Newbie Tank Thread

My Blog

All pics taken with CanoN!~

then is the price of the coral exorbitant too ?

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member

zoos cost about 11bucks, sps and acans from 30-50 bucks. Lps cost between 18(for small frag) to about 33 bucks. Most of the corals are collected by licensed divers and in western australia, there is about 5 of them if i'm not mistaken. Its really coral paradise up north of Perth at Broome. Sps everywhere and i'm sure some of you guys will wish that u bring a hammer and chisel along. :D

zoos cost about 11bucks, sps and acans from 30-50 bucks. Lps cost between 18(for small frag) to about 33 bucks. Most of the corals are collected by licensed divers and in western australia, there is about 5 of them if i'm not mistaken. Its really coral paradise up north of Perth at Broome. Sps everywhere and i'm sure some of you guys will wish that u bring a hammer and chisel along. :D

Ah! So corals are more affordable (compared to cleaning shrimps, lol). Well, at least you guys can focus on coral-heavy tanks. But the tempt over Perth can be a lot more complex compared to Singapore... you might need both heater and chiller (a proper setup).