INTERNAL PARASITES

One of my prize tang seems to be suffering from internal parasite problem....

it is feeding....will take nori and brine shrimps.....

but is losing weight fast..the cheek and face area seems to be sunken in and can see stomach pinched in as well..... :(:cry::(

I am trying to feed it with garlic soaked nori...besides this ....wondering wat can I do.? :o

(note: The other fishes are feeding very well and healthy....)

Freshwater dip wun do anything to internal parasites..it will only stress the fish and make it more prone to subsequent parasite attacks...

You could try some garlic to improve the immune system...and possibly some deworming medication meant for freshwater fish...not sure if they will work for marine fish..but always make sure to check the content of the medication in case it is lethal to inverts.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

How certain are you that it is intestinal parasites?

It's probably that your tang is still stressed from shipping and needs more time to settle down before it bloats up. Does it hide alot?

If it is unstressed, swimming in the open and eating alot, then I will suspect cyanide poisoning... it affects the internal organs.

• SRC Member

my kole tang died with symptoms like that after 2 months in my tank. My powder blue also developed the same symptoms after 1 week in my tank and eventually died on the second week too. Both were eating well, nori soaked in garlic, mysis shrimp soaked in garlic and red plankton soaked in garlic. But they developed sunken cheek bones, sunken stomach and panted heavily. Eventually just a few days before they died they stopped eating all together.

My purple tang and yellow tang have no such symptoms and were bought together with the kole tang. Now 4 months in my tank already.

This is a really strange disease. However their bodies were covered with gradually increasing ich, purple tang and yellow tang are now immune to it and do not have any ich at all.

How certain are you that it is intestinal parasites?

It's probably that your tang is still stressed from shipping and needs more time to settle down before it bloats up. Does it hide alot?

If it is unstressed, swimming in the open and eating alot, then I will suspect cyanide poisoning... it affects the internal organs.

I am not sure....fish is eating brine shrimp(snatching to be exact)....swims around a lot...seldom go into hiding....will take nori (a little).... refuses pellets(was taking a few weeks ago) ....

if cynide posioned....why it suddenly loses so weight?

I'll include a pic to show you what I mean....I am really worried...I look at it everyday and tries all sorts of food to get it to eat....

post-21-1065533056.jpg

has anyone here tried quaratine a fish with similiar difficulties in a more concentration of garlic juice environment? afterall, the fish need to "drink" some water right?

the thought just came to me. Have not try before, so i'm asking and suggesting.

:angel:

ha..? it will some sort overdose..

imagine stuff u with all the drugs/tonic at one go..

even if its beneficial, at such large dosage. expect

it to lau sai.. from lau sai, then ammonia level upz.

then fish dies..

Cookie... if you do a search on cyanide poisoning on the internet... you will find these to be classic symptoms.... a fish that looks healthy, exhibiting bright colours and eating well suddenly dies for no apparent reason. I heard one of the symptoms is the fish's poop is white in colour.

• SRC Member
if you do a search on cyanide poisoning on the internet... you will find these to be classic symptoms.... a fish that looks healthy, exhibiting bright colours and eating well suddenly dies for no apparent reason. I heard one of the symptoms is the fish's poop is white in colour.

Same symptoms as a whole lot of other deseases. All above discussions are not conclusive of cyanide poisoning. Often hobbyists like to shift the blame of mystery deaths to cynaide fishing. <_<