new tank nitrates

• SRC Member

tested nitrate > 100 with a salifert kit.

Tank 4 wks into cycling. Ammonia, nitrite ok.

Dump in a packet of Algone this morning to absorb the nitrates. Damn! the water became brownish. Thot they claim it is all biological, how come got coloration.

Mine is a 4~5g pico.

Will the brownish stain go off?

Actually if you have good lighting, should try some macroalgae like chaetomorpha and caulerpa. They are good at bringing down nitrates. I was also having around 100, then I increase my tank's lighting duration, hence increase in photosynthesis. So Nitrates down to <5 after 2 days. But they can be quite a nuisance esp in the main tank.

post-6-1141740153.jpg

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

The macroalgae especially the Green Grape Caulerpa (refer pix below). Basically try to avoid the entire caulerpa family as they are known to be release toxin when threaten, dying or simple "horny".

Chaetomorpha (the top bunch in my tank) is more ideal for controlling Nitrates. But they are seldom found in LFS due to high demand. Got mine from a fellow reefer (check Pasar Malam section for WTS).

Since your tank (and mine) are so tiny in terms of water volume, try not to dump in chemicals as the effect can be more harm than good in the end... I will try other methods first, if cannot than chemicals lo. Just like if I'm sick, I will try Chinese medicine, if cannot help then go see doctor. Coz western medicines are usually very potent. :off: lol

So the nuisance is referring to overgrown, uncontrollable and sexual macroalgaes.

post-6-1141742527.jpg

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

Bro if you already have live stock in your tank it's advisable to do water change now and every 3 or 4 days until your nitrate goes down. If there's nothing in your tank then just leave it but need to change water before you put anything inside. Weekly water change is a good thing if your tank is small. :thanks:

• SRC Member

Erm, since you mentioned your nitrate is ok, why dump in the Algone? A 4G tank is really small so you'll really have to take care what you put/dose into the tank, just abit of mistake will be deadly. Btw, whats Algone for? Is it like carbon? Some media has to be rinsed before putting them into your water..... :)

My Newbie Tank Thread

My Blog

All pics taken with CanoN!~

• SRC Member
Erm, since you mentioned your nitrate is ok, why dump in the Algone? A 4G tank is really small so you'll really have to take care what you put/dose into the tank, just abit of mistake will be deadly. Btw, whats Algone for? Is it like carbon? Some media has to be rinsed before putting them into your water..... :)

nitrite is ok but nitrate is skyrocketing. Guess it is part of the normal cycling process but got a bit impatient to bring it down.

Happen to read about this algone thingy which mentioned that it could absorb nitrate through biological means unlike those conventional chemical approach.

Have written to them to check about the brownish stain.

Asked Henry from ML and he said the stain would go away.

Anyway i will leave it in there and check nitrate level in a few days time and the level is ok, will gradually replace with fresh water mix.

• SRC Member

Well, just leave it alone and im sure your nitrate level will drop after your beneficial bacteria multiplies. Do you have any live rocks in your tank btw? :) Oh, i was adviced to do water changes during cycling to lower the nitrate level, not sure if that'll interfere with the ANN cycle, any more experienced reefers can comment? :)

My Newbie Tank Thread

My Blog

All pics taken with CanoN!~

Well, just leave it alone and im sure your nitrate level will drop after your beneficial bacteria multiplies. Do you have any live rocks in your tank btw? :) Oh, i was adviced to do water changes during cycling to lower the nitrate level, not sure if that'll interfere with the ANN cycle, any more experienced reefers can comment? :)

Yes I was told not to change water during the cycle as it will interupt the process. Oh I bought another piece of beneficial algae today from AM. According to my reference book, Turtleweed is highly sought-after by reefers and doesn't do harm to other tank inhabitants. Maybe you wanna get a piece later.

post-6-1141817655.jpg

• SRC Member

if im not wrong, these algae are hard to keep compared to the rest...:D

IMO, u can leave it...and let ur tank stablise and mature. Its takes from months to years for the tank to get settle. Don't worry too much abt the nitrates issue. Just have a schedule for ur feedings and dosage of plankton OR cyclopzee. hpe these helpz...reefz onzz...:D

For a tank so small I would rather do water changes to bring the nitrates down. In fact maybe even 80-90% with overnight newly mixed seawater. The anaerobic bacteria population won't bloom that fast compared to the aerobic bacteria which is already established. So the best way to keep nitrates down in the beginning is water change, gradually reducing it as your tank matures (when you notice nitrate build up is slowing down). Oh yes ensure the test kit has not expired if not it may affect accuracy. I had a salifert test kit which expired and it tested 1ppm of nitrates when the actual value was 10ppm (had it tested by a helpful reefer). Chaetomorpha is ok in absorbing nitrates and is rather hardy. Avoid turtleweed as it is impossible to keep it for an extended period of time. To keep turtleweed successfully you must introduce other trace elements which might not be that useful for the rest of your tank inhabitants. When caulerpa, turtleweed or any other macroalgae die they will introduce phosphates and other wastes like ammonia back into your system. This is very risky in a tank of small water volume.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

Oh dear... but they are so pretty... I know for sure they can't tolerate copper and high nitrate. And yes, they usually can't last more than a year. Ok, I will monitor it closely, if there's any sign of decaying/distress, will post pics for advise. And I will go check out what's the trace elements needed.

:thanks: for the advice.

I saw the turtle weed at AM a few weeks ago also, but as I've read that they are hard to keep alive so I didn't get any. Lets see how long they can survive in AM's tank, if no problems after another few months, I might get 1 to try :)

I saw the turtle weed at AM a few weeks ago also, but as I've read that they are hard to keep alive so I didn't get any. Lets see how long they can survive in AM's tank, if no problems after another few months, I might get 1 to try :)

Follow my Nano thread and see how long the Turtleweed will last in my tank, lol.

Haha, trying to advertise your thread! I love the colours of the turtle weed to, so greenish and the way it sways with the current.... :upsidedown:

Yupe, it's my favourite! Esp if you have a good wavemaker... it's heaven.