Equipment list for Nano reef

scatophagus

Hi reefers,

I kept a FOWLR nano tank some time ago, but I'm considering to start one with LR and perhaps some inverts.

Can anyone kindly point me to some good reading materials to start with, and maybe suggest a list of equipment that I will need.

Thanks

-John

The best way is to run through all bro's and sis' threads, books are secondary, they usually not very specific to your needs. Ask more questions, they will be answered.

Although I am still new, IMO these are the few things you need to really consider when starting a nano reef tank:

1. Lighting

2. Temp (chill or not to chill, depending on lighting selection)

3. Filtration

4. Protein skimmer (not optional, a must!)

5. Life rocks and a decent sand bed

Also, look at your existing equipments, see what can be recycled. Tanks are cheap nowadays, so if the existing one is not suitable, just get a new one.

If you are getting a new tank, consider the following:

1. How many fishes you plan to keep

2. What type of fish? (For example: My fav fish is Juvenile Emperor Angel, but due to my tank size, can't keep... lack of planning)

3. How many inverts / corals? What's their requirements when it comes to water quality, lighting and water flow?

Once you decide on all these, you will automatically knows what equipments to go for.

Books with detailed specimens pixs will help or go website for info like www.liveaquaria.com

Good luck :D

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

Like Jervismun mentioned, what kind of equipment you'll need really depends on what kind of a reef you wanna build. FOWLR? In that case you won't really need a chiller. LS can withstand higher temp than corals. Are you planning a tank with a sump? If not you'll need to get a decent cannister filter. Preferbly 2 and rotate cleaning them. If its only FOWLR, you wont need those high power lightings like Mh, a decent T5 will be good. Protein skimmer is arguably one of the most impt piece of equipment in any home aquarium....try get one that is over-rated for your tank size. There is no such thing as over-skimming( accordingly to some reefers/books) and getting a bigger skimmer will enable you to reuse it if you one day decide to upgrade.

I think

http://saltaquarium.about.com/

is a good read..... :lol:

My Newbie Tank Thread

My Blog

All pics taken with CanoN!~

Hehe bro, I think you misuderstood him, he used to own a fish-only tank.

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Hehe bro, I think you misuderstood him, he used to own a fish-only tank.

Oops, I meant to say "FOWOLR".. fish only w/o live rocks. Had rocks and coral sand only. Did not use a skimmer and the fishes survived for many months. But finally the tank sprang a leak and the fish died when they were transfered to a tub.

That's the thing about tank... I am very concerned about my JBJ Nano Cube too. My next tank is definitely going to be a custom, with glasses as thick as I can afford (and quality too) and the joints must be clearly specified and QC.

Wow! How big was your tank? Must be a disaster... got pic of that disaster to share with us? :evil: