pH 9.0!!!

Guys, my pH is reading 8.8 now (after 7 hours of photosynthesis)... 9.0 this morning. Am I in big trouble? My Green Chromis is not showing any sign of distress, however, the macroalgae Caulerpa is acting strangly with dark green veins, slightly pale green and growing SPIKES!

post-6-1141561253.jpg

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

I did something awfully wrong the other day, I added 3 tiny spoons of Salifert KH+PH Buffer... well, I thought a buffer is to buff the pH at the intended values... well, how bad a situation am I in now? Do I need to do water change? I did it yesterday, 15%.

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

Hrmz, well...not really sure why your PH will shoot up that much....did you read the instructions on the back and follow the recommanded dosage? I use the same buffer as you....what i do is measure my KH and then dose accordingly to how much i want to increase KH level. Oh, try using a measuring spoon for more accurate dosing. Can use those meant for cooking, those small plastic ones in a bunch in many different sizes...

Meanwhile, i guess you can do water changes over a few days and see if it'll help. Oh, will recommand you to get a PH monitor....a very nice and convenient piece of equipment to have.. :)

My Newbie Tank Thread

My Blog

All pics taken with CanoN!~

I am using a digital pH reader...

I dose it using the spoon that comes with it and according to instructions. Is the high pH harmful? In books, they usually mention low pH, not high pH.

post-6-1141563543.jpg

• SRC Member

Erm, i guess they don't mention abt high Ph coz normally Ph will only drop....not increase. Not really sure what a Ph of 9 will do to ur LS though.

Taken from a site...

"PH is the scale that measures how acidic or basic a substance is. It has the scale of 0-14 with 7 being neutral. Values less than 7 indicate an acid while those above indicate a base. Lemon juice (citric acid) is an acid with a pH of around 2.3. Borax (sodium borate) is a base with a pH of around 9.2. In a reef aquarium you want to maintain the pH in the mildly basic range of 8.0-8.4. Alkalinity is the ability of water to resist the pH being lowered by acids. Acids in your tank come from the respiration of carbon dioxide and organic acids produced as a waste product of metabolism. Alkalinity neutralizes these acids. Alkalinity is generally considered to be the amount of bicarbonate and carbonate in your tank water. Borate is also sometimes included as it is used in some salt mixes to boost alkalinity. A tank with sufficient alkalinity will maintain a stable pH."

My Newbie Tank Thread

My Blog

Thanks for the help bro... but dunno leh, I think I need a Diploma in Science or Biology to be able to understand and put it to practice, lol.

• SRC Member

lOl....no problem....we are all here to help each other and learn. I've got lots to learn too. Simply put. PH is measured on a scale on 0 to 14. The middle of the scale being 7 is neutral. 0 being the most acidic. Alkalinity(measured by KH) is the ability of the water to maintain a stable PH level. I think it means something like if your KH level is good enough(9 to 12DKH), it'll help maintain your PH at a stable level... :)

My Newbie Tank Thread

My Blog

I did something awfully wrong the other day, I added 3 tiny spoons of Salifert KH+PH Buffer... well, I thought a buffer is to buff the pH at the intended values... well, how bad a situation am I in now? Do I need to do water change? I did it yesterday, 15%.

There you go. Unless they specifically mention that the buffering effect will stop at a certain value then by right the more you add the higher the value will go. If you dosed kH buffer alone only your kH will rise. But you dosed pH buffer as well. The problem now is that it will take a long long time for your pH to drop back to normal since you increased your kH as well. Suggest you do water changes to bring things back to normal. :nc:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

Ok I will do just that, will prolonged photosynthesis help?

• SRC Member

It'll probably take quite a few water changes... if going that route, then a one-time 80% water change would be better.

Alternatively for an instant correction, do you have access to vinegar or dry ice, dump in and measure, dump again to correct.

Correcting pH alone is alot easier, but for your case, I think you've buffed up to much CO3, and thats what's holding your pH steady. Do a kH measure and lets see the numbers.

8.8 is bad.

Ok I will do just that, will prolonged photosynthesis help?

Reduced photoperiod will help to keep your pH from rising further. Photosynthesis only extracts CO2 from the water and result = pH rise.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

Should try to calibrate your test pen and ensure that the batteries is not weak.

Just use your test pen on the calibration solution and you will know or else need to get another test kit to verify.

Formerly I also this problem due to weak batteries.

Latest readings:

pH – 8.8

Sg – 1.0215

KH – 10.2

Alk – 3.66

NH4 – <0.25

N02 – <0.3

NO3 – 2

PO4 – 0

Should try to calibrate your test pen and ensure that the batteries is not weak.

Just use your test pen on the calibration solution and you will know or else need to get another test kit to verify.

Formerly I also this problem due to weak batteries.

That test pen is quite new (2 weeks old)... don't think it's the battery. Didn't calibrate as Reborn ran out of calibration liquid, but they assured me... well.

Ok I will change 10% of water every night, reduce photosynthesis and get another test kit (liquid type).

Is there any additive out there that can do the job?

So what's the chances of my pH being the main culprit causing my Caulerpa to... u know... grow SPIKES? (refer picture above).

Reduced photoperiod will help to keep your pH from rising further. Photosynthesis only extracts CO2 from the water and result = pH rise.

Actually my pH was 9.0 this morning... that's why I thought photosynthesis helped bring the pH down by 0.2 points.

I will stop by Reborn these 2 days and look for the calibration solution. Meanwhile, I will still do the 10% water change just to be on the save side. No wonder my protein skimmer is skimming oddly yesterday, not much bubble.

• SRC Member

Hrmz, i doubt high PH will affect your skimmer's skimate, but please do bring your PH pen down to some LFS, maybe to one you frequent and ask to test it...best if can test on their display tank.... :lol: Could have spared you some calibrating liquid but my wife poured them away thining they were water parameter test specimens.... :snore: Haha...i've ordered them again though, and if you really cant find any, i'll be glad to spare you some when my stock arrives. :peace:

My Newbie Tank Thread

My Blog

Thanks bro, that' very nice you. I will bring my testpen to Reborn tomorrow, then get hold of some calibration solution... if can't find, I'll let you know. :thanks:

pH this morning (after 8 hours of darkness) is 8.6, so unpredictable!

• SRC Member

Hrmz, my Ph refuses to stay around the range of 8.3....after i buff it up to that level, it'll always drop slowly to around the 8.0 range....mine hovers ard 7.9(night time) to 8.1(day time). Anyway, the calibrating liquid i ordered isnt here yet, let me know if you cant find any....i'll call up the LFS and maybe order 1 for you too.... :)

My Newbie Tank Thread

My Blog

Thanks bro, will let you know tomorrow night.