WATER WATER WATER

I just started my tank 12 days ago. It's a 24g Nano Cube (with mods).

Day 4 : I threw in 2 pieces of small LR (given free by Reborn) into the back compartments and hence the cycle started. The smell and the ammonia hikes as predicted. The were bristle worms blown out into the main tank, removed later. No sand.

Day 6 : The smell is gone (thankfully) and the water begins to clear up quite a bit. Protein skimmer is running full force, removing a bit of yellow liquid. Temp 29ºC.

Day 8 : Bought around 12kg of cured life rocks from a fellow reefer (with healthy red coralline and very small amount of green algae). I also added 3 cup full of matured sand (from the reefer's tank) to the tank floor. No smell at all! And the water is constantly crystal clear. MH light as usual. Temp 30ºC sometimes.

Day 10 : All equipments were added into the tank and rocks rearranged. Added Chemipure & RowaPhos sponge. Started looking at water parameters seriously.

Day 12 : After 2 days of running Chemipure and RowaPhos sponge, no big improvements to the water condition despite the extremely crystal clear water <_<

Ammonia - <0.25

Nitrates - <0.25

Nitrites - 100

Phosphate - high

My BIG question is...

... is my tank experiencing the end of the cycling process? Or everything is screwed? :cry2:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Day 13 : Skimmer is running full force, 24/7! I've also added some Chaeto (macroalgae) into both the back compartments and main tank. I heard they can help reduce Nitrates and Phosphates.

1. How true is it?

2. I also read from another thread that longer MH light will also deplete Phosphates, can you guys explain why?

3. No algae bloom yet! Could it be the mature cured rocks I introduce play a positive role in the whole cycle process? Those rocks has been in the reefers tank for more than a year and the transportation to my tank took less than 30 mins.

4. I do have a hermit crab in there already (came with the rocks). And some tiny shrooms and a big feather duster (hitchikers) they seems okay to me, looking beautiful. Is that a good indication?

5. Should I add in more cleaning crew?

6. Should I introduce more macroalgae like the "grape"? I really like my tank looking green.

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

Day 13 : Skimmer is running full force, 24/7! I've also added some Chaeto (macroalgae) into both the back compartments and main tank. I heard they can help reduce Nitrates and Phosphates.

1. How true is it?

True in the sense that algaes take up nutrients to grow

2. I also read from another thread that longer MH light will also deplete Phosphates, can you guys explain why?

My only explaination would be the longer photoperiod enables algae to grow, thus enabling the first point

3. No algae bloom yet! Could it be the mature cured rocks I introduce play a positive role in the whole cycle process? Those rocks has been in the reefers tank for more than a year and the transportation to my tank took less than 30 mins.

Chill bro, its only 2nd week, and algae bloom not neccesary will occur, at least it nvr occured to me before

4. I do have a hermit crab in there already (came with the rocks). And some tiny shrooms and a big feather duster (hitchikers) they seems okay to me, looking beautiful. Is that a good indication?

Hmmm, i am not sure about crabs and dusters, but high nitrates have an effect on shrimps though. Actually most creatures can survive in high nutrients waters, heard of bros having fishes and inverts alive in >100ppm nitrates conditions

5. Should I add in more cleaning crew?

i suggest water change to reduce the nitrates to a more acceptable level, maybe around 20? before u decide to add in anything, in the meantime, you could monitor the nitrate level, if it doesn't increase anymore, means generally you are safe to go stocking slowly already

6. Should I introduce more macroalgae like the "grape"? I really like my tank looking green.

If you like the looks of the algae, why not? Just don't choose the types that die and float around in the tank

Hope it helps

:D

:thanks: Hondaker

That is really helpful. The high Phosphates can be a result of using tap water right? I am a bit reluctant to buy water from somewhere and adding those filters (+ all the plumbing work) is also quite troublesome...

Must I use DI/RO water? Is there anything I can do to balance my use of tap water? I did put in a good water conditioner by Denrle (left over from my FW tank) to remove chlorine and such...

I think the most critical right now is the Nitrates. 100 is kinda over the limit I think (despite Hondaker's posting earlier). I will make sure the Nitrates is almost undetectable before I consider adding a hardy fish or something.

Don't wanna get flamed, lol.

• SRC Member

actually with your standards and equipments now, your tank is way better than a lot of us in comparison

yes the tapwater contains phosphates, but i still use tap water to topup/mix saltwater, no choice for me

alternatively, you could use distilled water, buy in cartons from ntuc or somewhere, since your tank is still considered a nano, small in water volume. However, you could consider investing in a set of RO/DI unit since you mentioned you will upgrade in the future

are you running any phosphate removal media?

if you aren't, may consider throwing in some rowaphos, heard some pretty good reviews on them, and they are next on my to buy list

cheers

Hondaker: I really hope the money I invested will make a difference... lol!

Yeah I can consider getting a RO/DI unit, but the plumbing will coz problem. I don't wanna mess up my kitchen by adding something underneath the sink. My other half will kill me. Hehe actually my office is drinking DI water in round container... what about... hehe no need to say out lah :fear:

I added a piece of RowaPhos sponge two days ago. Let's see if it will kick-in tonight. Will test the water again. That's why my water is so crystal clear... almost can drink, lol.

The RowaSponge seems quite good, but I don't think I'm the best person to give a review on that. My tank is still cycling, so very hard to be certain of its ability. Reviewing equipment is much easier B)

Yeah, DI water in 5g container (those came with dispenser). So I just have to bring the whole container home and fill up my Tunze Osmolator bucket, lol. But very heavy la.

What if I just go with tap water (with proper conditioner)? Transporting water is too much for me. I know there are harmful metal in our tap water like copper and such... u think I can add another piece of sponge that can remove toxic metal? Saw it at reefdepot.

• SRC Member

http://www.rowausa.com/products.html

ROWAphos Sponge is designed to effectively remove phosphates and silicates, organic compounds and heavy metals from both fresh-water and salt-water aquariums.  The ROWAphos Sponge is unique and offers the proven benefits of both ROWAphos and ROWAcarbon in a single easy to use product.

i am not sure whether there is any conditioners able to rid the tap water of all the undesired elements or not

Hi Jervismun

May I know where u bought the rowasponge frm? is it serving the same function as the rowaphos available in the market?

:thanks:

u can get it at clementi 328 , i got mine there . dunno whether still got stock a not .

anyway is a combi of rowacarbon and rowaphos

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

I bought mine from ReefDepot together with other stuff.

• SRC Member

Bro .. no need carry whole container home la .. juz bring 2 1.5L bottles n refil it everyday lor .. but yea .. that one more troublesome la ..

Sry bro for hijacking... Eh .. would like to ask if i can add rowasponge in the trays in my canistor filter? Or would it b more advisable for me to juz add the roawphos n rowacarbon in the bags provided n dump it into the canistor.? .. cos thinking of getting one to replace the layer of carbon (forgot the brand) i got from aquamairne. Thanks!

Bro .. no need carry whole container home la .. juz bring 2 1.5L bottles n refil it everyday lor .. but yea .. that one more troublesome la ..

Sry bro for hijacking... Eh .. would like to ask if i can add rowasponge in the trays in my canistor filter? Or would it b more advisable for me to juz add the roawphos n rowacarbon in the bags provided n dump it into the canistor.? .. cos thinking of getting one to replace the layer of carbon (forgot the brand) i got from aquamairne. Thanks!

I believe you can add it to your canister filter. It's a sponge, but it's really thin, like less than 1". So shouldn't block the flow too much although it looks much denser than normal sponge. I have no exp with the bags version, some other bro, please advise.

The rowaphos sponge is a combination of rowaphos and rowacarbon, so 40+ for 5 pieces is quite alright actually. Might not be as effective as the bag type but it does save a lot of space.