Jervis' Nano Cube

jervismun

• SRC Member

Lucky boy you to get free stuff from LFS.

The zoo will spread, that I know. The frogspawn looks good from what I can see, but part of the polpys do melt for no reason at all.

You Diatom problem will not go away so easily for new tank. My suggestion:

1. Get a algae blennie, observe from LFS for the one that is always cleaning. There are more lazy blennie than hardworking ones. Good for LR.

2. Are you dosing Kalkwasser already? It slow diatom growth not stop.

3. RowaPhos sponge is not as effective as Rowaphos itself.

4. If you dun have RO/DI, then use distill water from NTUC 65cents/1.5l for top up. helps over time. That what I do now, since you also have a nano.

As for the turtleweed/maiden hair, dun waste your money, it goes botak very fast. Do look out for lettuce slug as they always comes with it.

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NLucky boy you to get free stuff from LFS.

The zoo will spread, that I know. The frogspawn looks good from what I can see, but part of the polpys do melt for no reason at all.

You Diatom problem will not go away so easily for new tank. My suggestion:

1. Get a algae blennie, observe from LFS for the one that is always cleaning. There are more lazy blennie than hardworking ones. Good for LR.

2. Are you dosing Kalkwasser already? It slow diatom growth not stop.

3. RowaPhos sponge is not as effective as Rowaphos itself.

4. If you dun have RO/DI, then use distill water from NTUC 65cents/1.5l for top up. helps over time. That what I do now, since you also have a nano.

As for the turtleweed/maiden hair, dun waste your money, it goes botak very fast. Do look out for lettuce slug as they always comes with it.

Thanks! I will do the following by this week.

1. Get an algae blennie.. will go islandwide look for a hardworking blennie.

2. No Kalkwasser yet. My Calcium dispenser is dosing calcium hydroxide (limewater) into the tank via the osmolator. I heard they are not the same thing. So, if needed, yes I can always get a bottle.

3. Will look for Rowaphos itself. Will throw in a bag. Will it conflict with the RowaPhos sponge?

4. Buying water by the water seems very troublesome to me... can I use those small Brita water purifier that comes in a jug? I know they remove certain elements to the water (also add something into the water so that it tastes better). What about that thing that OSIM sells? Attached direct to water tap, simple. Don't mind getting a RO/DI filter but the piping work I can't handle, not a DIY person.

Yeah, glad I moved the Turtleweed. Nice to look at but not practical.

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

For Kalkwasser, you can only dose one of them. But although not the same, I believe the will retart the diatom both ways.

No Rowaphos will not conflict with the sponge.

Water purifier most uses DI, some comes with RO. So has it different functions. OSIM I dun know.

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

For Kalkwasser, you can only dose one of them. But although not the same, I believe the will retart the diatom both ways.

No Rowaphos will not conflict with the sponge.

Water purifier most uses DI, some comes with RO. So has it different functions. OSIM I dun know.

Is 8 hour MH duration too long? I don't think I have any corals that require great amount of light. Please check my LS list, if can I will reduce the duration to 6 1/2 hours for a week or so.

:thanks: in advance.

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

8 hrs too long? Our sun runs at 12hrs shift, with sunrise and sunset simulated by the actinic in our tank.

I on my T5 for 10 hrs. The thing is MH is stronger in intensity but I dun see corals in your tank that needs strong intensity.

Duration is a guideline to simulates the natural sun cycle. I dun think you can reduce it further than 8 hrs. Do bear in mind that earth has raining days and cloud to block the sun so 8 hrs is the minimum I guess.

Equipment:

Live Stock:

Reef:

RIPs (Since June 2005):

Old 30G Corner Tank.

8 hrs too long? Our sun runs at 12hrs shift, with sunrise and sunset simulated by the actinic in our tank.

I on my T5 for 10 hrs. The thing is MH is stronger in intensity but I dun see corals in your tank that needs strong intensity.

Duration is a guideline to simulates the natural sun cycle. I dun think you can reduce it further than 8 hrs. Do bear in mind that earth has raining days and cloud to block the sun so 8 hrs is the minimum I guess.

Ok I will use other means to control algae... agree reducing light is not a proper way to tackle the problem. Actually, the bloom is not to a point of disaster yet. Just too lazy to clean the glass I guess, lol.

Today's update... nothing much really. So may I present you... Mr. Ris posing next to an Aestra Snail... :upsidedown:

post-34-1142351705.jpg

I suspect the photo might be showing 2 species... don't think they are the same, although they do share some similarities... anyone can help ID both? :thanks:

post-34-1142351854.jpg

• SRC Member
... can I use those small Brita water purifier that comes in a jug? I know they remove certain elements to the water (also add something into the water so that it tastes better).

HAha..I was planning to do the same as well.

I'm anyways using a Brita flask, I just need to get the filters...then it works for you and your reef at the same time :lol:

HAha..I was planning to do the same as well.

I'm anyways using a Brita flask, I just need to get the filters...then it works for you and your reef at the same time :lol:

Just beware bro... I used a small Brita flask before last time. They claim to add in beneficial minerals for human body and they added something to the filter so the water tastes good to drink... so check out what are those minerals. Maybe try their website :)

Hrmz, nice pics....what camera are you using? :)

I'm using the fairly new SONY N1. The digicam with 3" touch screen, 8 Mega pixels. Pretty easy to use, but I usually shoot around 3 to 4 shots of the same object and choose the best one. And of course, some minor photo retouching using Mac iPhoto. Simple stuff like adjusting brightness/contrast, a bit of colour, sharpness and my favourite special effect... the edges blur to keep the centre object in focus. Hehe.

I'm gonna deliver my large Blue Sea Fan to bro Terryz tonight, at the same time pick up 2 small frags from him. So there will be update tonight for sure... will drop by some LFS to look for cleaning crew too.

Stay tuned :peace:

Hehe nice frags from bro Terryz. I will wait for it to open up, then take pix. Slowly opening right now :D

Lots of algae blennies @ AM. Looking forward to seeing your pics!~ :)

Was there just now (after work), didn't notice any blenny, bought 3 small turbos and a small Sand Sifting Star instead. Once introduced into my tank, the star dissappeared... :ph34r:

Hehe nice frags from bro Terryz. I will wait for it to open up, then take pix. Slowly opening right now :D

Hope you dun find the frags too small..

The SeaFan is really big... Having some problem placing it... lol...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

Hope you dun find the frags too small..

The SeaFan is really big... Having some problem placing it... lol...

No lah... they fit nicely in a nano.

You can actually split the Sea Fan if you want to. They will survive. Enjoy and let us keep both of them alive.

Show us a pix :D

Here's an update... did minor rockworks. Bro Terryz hammer (left) is slowly opening up. How many diff corals can u spot in this pix? 4? See again :fear:

post-34-1142440716.jpg

No lah... they fit nicely in a nano.

You can actually split the Sea Fan if you want to. They will survive. Enjoy and let us keep both of them alive.

Show us a pix :D

Will post a photo when i get my DC back... lol...

Member of:

Will post a photo when i get my DC back... lol...

Great! The Rhicordia only opens during day time (just like other shrooms)? The Hammer is looking fine and comfortable.

Great! The Rhicordia only opens during day time (just like other shrooms)? The Hammer is looking fine and comfortable.

That is a rhodactis... They will open big in the day when there is light... They are opening well under my T5s... They should open bigger under your MH...

I spilt the SeaFan into 2 cos the smaller one is kinda obstructing... lol...

Member of:

That is a rhodactis... They will open big in the day when there is light... They are opening well under my T5s... They should open bigger under your MH...

I spilt the SeaFan into 2 cos the smaller one is kinda obstructing... lol...

So what r u planning on feeding the Sea Fan? I got both Phytoplankton and Zooplankton... cultivating Artemia (sea monkey) now. Will probably look for oyster eggs too (if not too expensive). Sure my other corals will benefit also.