Jervis' Nano Cube

jervismun

It is actually spewing out it intestine... It is a sign of stress... Maybe it is due to the offing of the lights... Becos the sudden change in light intensity, will cause them to be stressed, if i am not wrong...

Do you have a timer to control the timing...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is actually spewing out it intestine... It is a sign of stress... Maybe it is due to the offing of the lights... Becos the sudden change in light intensity, will cause them to be stressed, if i am not wrong...

Do you have a timer to control the timing...

Yes I have a timer, just started using the timer today. It looks okay now, the intestines are all gone. Just a lump of white stuff at the core. Got a feeling it is gonna be ok tomorrow. Stress... em... could it be the slime released by the Blue Sea Fan? I notice the shrooms close-up a little when I moved the Sea Fan next to them just now. And my hand is sticky and smelly after messing up with the Sea Fan.

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

I've got mixed ideal level for KH and Alk. Can someone advice me on that? My readings are below (signature). :thanks:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Hi, i suggest instead of putting and buying additional supplement for your tank which overdose can cause big problem, why not regular water change per week about 10 % water change is sufficient to replenish your corals what it should require.

24g nano tank is pretty small and could result overdose and hard to control water perimeter.

Myself, i do water change every week with additonal elements booster from the salt. I replaced my filter media to biohome, purigen and rowaphas. I only use seachem iodide. My nitrate use to be 20ppm, now it drop to less than 10ppm. Thanks to elimmel for professional advice.

How long you have cycle your tank, seem to me you have it not long and you starting to put more corals and fishes in it ???? I fully cycle my tank for 2 months before putting the first coral in.

• SRC Member
I've got mixed ideal level for KH and Alk. Can someone advice me on that? My readings are below (signature). :thanks:

I will not be particular with small fuctuation of parameters if I were you. When I first introduce additive, I split up the dose, meaning instead of adding 1 capful, I add half capful twice a day so that there is no drastic fuctuation in the tank.

LS and coral are living creature so they are quite adaptive with their living environment. Unless you swing it too much, they will be alright.

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

Hi, i suggest instead of putting and buying additional supplement for your tank which overdose can cause big problem, why not regular water change per week about 10 % water change is sufficient to replenish your corals what it should require.

24g nano tank is pretty small and could result overdose and hard to control water perimeter.

Myself, i do water change every week with additonal elements booster from the salt. I replaced my filter media to biohome, purigen and rowaphas. I only use seachem iodide. My nitrate use to be 20ppm, now it drop to less than 10ppm. Thanks to elimmel for professional advice.

How long you have cycle your tank, seem to me you have it not long and you starting to put more corals and fishes in it ???? I fully cycle my tank for 2 months before putting the first coral in.

Em... I am getting mixed views regarding dosing supplements, but yeah I am extra careful when dosing. I only add half of the recommended dosage just to be sure. I will do water change every week (10% to 15%). My pack of Tropic Marin is finishing soon, will upgrade to TM Pro for extra beneficial nutrients.

I originally plan to add biohome and such, but after running the tank for around 1 1/2 weeks with 0,0,0. I've decided to wait and see. Yeah bro Elimmel is always helpful... but didn't see him much these 2 days... bro you on holidays?

I started my tank slightly more than 3 weeks ago. I started cycle with 2 pieces of small uncured LR right away. On the 3rd day, I bought 12-15 kg of high quality matured cured LR from a fellow reefer. He also gave me a small bucket of live sand. I also added AquaPharm Bacteria Starter to speed things up. The parameters were improving so rapidly, by day 10 my readings are 0, 0, 100. I introduced some Macroalgae and water changes and Nitrates drop to almost 0 after 2 days. So I start introducing LS starting with a Green Chromis I bought from Reborn for $1.00.

Things have been going very well for me these past week and I have been checking the parameters everyday (I update my signature every night). I believe the matured LR and sand really helps... and of course all the $$$ I spent on equipments.

No casualties so far and no sign of stress (except for the shroom last night, he looks normal this morning)... I know what stress looks like coz I've crashed a 3 1/2 ft tank before 3 years back. It was a disaster then.

Yes, I think I will slow down a bit. The only thing I notice being stress-out is actually my Tunze Protein Skimmer... lol (I'm glad I didn't buy the Nano version).

I will not be particular with small fuctuation of parameters if I were you. When I first introduce additive, I split up the dose, meaning instead of adding 1 capful, I add half capful twice a day so that there is no drastic fuctuation in the tank.

LS and coral are living creature so they are quite adaptive with their living environment. Unless you swing it too much, they will be alright.

What I meant was I've been getting different versions of ideal readings for KH and Alk. Some books say low is good, some internet sites say high is better... so what is the best for my setup? :upsidedown: I'm confused coz book authors can't seem to agree with 1 set of ideal parameters.

Hrmz, most of the site and books i've read recommands to keep Kh ard the 9.0 to 11.0 level. Personally i keep mine ard 10 to 11.... :) Wow, have you been awake all night?

Almost... thanks to the black coffee + bak kut teh, lol. Nah, got 5 hours sleep at least, will sleep early tonight.

Well, I read from "Aquarium Corals" recommending a higher than usual KH for corals. I think I will do that. It says, FO tank needs lower KH.

Btw, the "Aquarium Corals" hardback book I bought from Reefdepot only costs $85.00, saw it at Kino (Taka) selling at $105.00!!! Just to share with you guys :heh:

Thanks to a bro's recommendation, I bought Aquaz Phytoplankton to feed my corals. I switched off all my filters and pumps (except the wavemaker) and poured in the dark green mixture into the tank... The corals are looking much healthier now especially the Blue Sea Fan :D

post-34-1142168510.jpg

The mushroom that puked last night (the one to the bottom right)... still not looking as healthy as the rest of the shrooms but I'm sure it will do ok.

post-34-1142168637.jpg

Even this cute little guy is opening up more than yesterday :)

post-34-1142168819.jpg

... and last but not least... mating snails? Can this be true? :evil::angel::evil::angel::evil:

post-34-1142168909.jpg

The Zoos are really spreading fast (esp on the left towards another rock). I'm sure it will be much larger a week from now :)

post-34-1142170363.jpg

• SRC Member

Nice Alveropora you have there. Good start as I can see, one of the more successful newbie tank. All the best. But do look out for surprises.

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Nice Alveropora you have there. Good start as I can see, one of the more successful newbie tank. All the best. But do look out for surprises.

Thanks for the encouragement! I will keep an extra eye on it... hey, any of you guys actually install a remote camera to monitor your tank while you're at work? Thinking of doing something like that... lol. I know M1 is introducing that service for $15/month.

Yeah the Alveropora is very beautiful. Thinking of getting 1 more small frag from Reborn this week. It's fun sometimes to buy small frags as you can easily move them around, fit them into holes and crevices :P

• SRC Member

I think a webcam will do the job quite nicely and it is 24/7.

Equipment:

Live Stock:

Reef:

RIPs (Since June 2005):

Old 30G Corner Tank.

I think a webcam will do the job quite nicely and it is 24/7.

But I do not want to on my computer all the time... wait, maybe I can use my old laptop to do the job. Anyone with real-life experience to share? It will be really fun to watch my fishies at work :D

Sorry, off topic.

How to do the webcam thingy ???

Gd idea.

I can't wait to install one too... if there's a leak or something, at least I will be the first to find out! And imagine showing it off to my colleagues at work, hehe. :paiseh:

New addition... bought it from Reborn, just a tiny frag but quite costly.

Frogspawn Coral

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_di...?pcatid=519&N=2

I placed it at the centre so that it gets plenty of light and also nearer to the current output. The green tip is quite beautiful :) and luckily it doesn't look stress-out at all.

post-34-1142261840.jpg

Hehe I got his FOC for buying the Frogspawn, lol. Thanks to my thick-skin :rolleyes: I place it nearer to the black cave (upper right) coz that's where the current output (from Tunze ReefPack) is. It's quite a flat piece of rock and I can't find any suitable coral to put there. So hopefully these 2 tiny little polyps will spread a new colony around this area.

post-34-1142262083.jpg

Did a 15% water change and added in another piece of RowaPhos Sponge coz my algae bloom is getting a bit unsightly. Can't find any suitable cleaning aunties yet (to add to my existing snails). The Aveolpora seems very very happy with the water change.

Although I am using tap water for the change. I ran it for 5 days, added Seachem Prime, Tropic Marin Seasalt and filter it for 5 days with cutout-extra pieces of RowaPhos sponge and Polyfilter. Hope this will make a difference.

post-34-1142262440.jpg

My new tank layout. Notice something missing? Haha, I moved the Turtleweed to the quaratine tank coz it sheds its leaves quite often... making my tank and filter messy. I moved some LR to the top (and small pieces to the back compartments) and created more space at the sand bed. I also created a tiny overhanging cliff on the left coz I want to introduce corals that require lesser light, so can place them partly under the shadow.

What do you guys think?

Oh, I also fixed the microbubbles problem. I took out the Tunze Filter container and added a piece of RowaPhos sponge in there (amazingly got enough space). When I turned on the filter... wah!!! No more microbubbles... just a bit here and there.

Can you spot my Sunburst? Hehe at least he is still alive... extremely shy fish though... I expect all Anthias to be very active like Chromis.

post-34-1142262849.jpg

Em... what would you guys add next (if this tank belongs to you)... looking at the empty sand bed... give me some ideas lah! I am only interested in adding small frags.

A friendly advice to all Nano newbies... if you see a piece of coral (or a fish) that looks suitable (in terms of size) at the LFS, think again. Once you bring it home, put it into your tank... wow! It suddenly feels like 200% percent larger. It's amazing how "rekative" it can be :)

I am thinking of black Zoos with orange centre to be placed on the right of the current orange Zoos. And also add in small pieces of rocks for the Zoos to spread. What you think?

post-34-1142263281.jpg