Juscool's 24G Nano Cube

juscool

wow what a journey... like the new scape very much. However, I do agree with bro that some of your corals might be a little too close. You can do research for corals that can be nice neighbours. Or else, one of them will have to go.

I read sponges are hard to keep, so could it be your red sponge is not doing well? Hence the white coating.

It's so frustrating to own a small tank right? Now you can't add anymore fishies... I am nearing my limit soon too.

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
The sponge is dying.

Goniopora and sponge is one hardest to keep, wrong choice i think. The rest of the coral are okay.

Sponge cannot be exposed to air, I hope you know.

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

• SRC Member
I love the rockscape ! B)

So cool !!!

I love mandarin but i know i can't maintain enuff pods

so best leave it alone for now.

Hope U can maintain a good pod population.

Not gonna be easy since gobies like them too.

Dose more to fatten the pods !

Hi Maxstar81,

Lucky for me, the Mandarin has started to take a liking for frozen brine shrimp, so he will be okay, as this will sustain him in the absence of pods. ;)

• SRC Member
nice tank. your gonio same as mine. but mine, the brown faded away after 5 months. so it's now transparent. but the green tip still there.

nice tank. wad equip. u are using?

Hi godzillaliu88,

I'm using a NanoCube 24 gallon. No Chiller, just a fan on a timer that keeps the temp between 26-28 degrees.

• SRC Member

the sponge is not exactly dying. its still alive, and shrinking.

There are 2 kinds of sponges around, the "very sensitive to air" type and the not so "sensitive to air type". The more sensitive ones would be the blue and purple ones you see. the other type, some webbies refer to as tree sponges, comes in red and orange. this variant of sponges are hardier. you can expose to air, but not too long. max a min. after which get ready to see bubbles on the skin of the sponge....

Sponges filter massive amounts of water everyday, for plankton and food. they will require a very strong flow of water also, so that the water around them can be "renewed" of nutrients. the reason that you see white translucent coatings on it was its old structure, which the main body is slowly shrinking away.

to counter this problem, try moving it to a high flow area, and feed fliter food every other day. this increased feeding might dirty the water, but might be able to regenerate the sponge. i am personally experiencing this white coat thingie now, and i have moved it to a medium flow ared, from a no flow area (result of no space and not reading up on corals before buying). hope it will stop shrinking. i am not willing to give this fella up, cos its my only "red" in my tank, and its very nice... haiz.

hope i contributed a little.

the photo of the sponge, taken 1 min ago.

post-34-1142335586.jpg

• SRC Member
the sponge is not exactly dying. its still alive, and shrinking.

Hi Colin,

Yeah, it became like this for some weeks now. But I agree with you its hardier than the blue sponge. It really brightens up the tank as well.

What I have been doing is invert it in the water and clean off the white skin gently with my fingers. It looks better after.

Will booste the filter food ( assume its planktons) ..hopefully this will beef up the red sponge.

Thanks mate!

• SRC Member

haha bro,

no worries. i am sure your sponge will surely get better... it will definitely be a plus point if you can put the sponge in a high flow area. or an area as high as possible. feeding with plankton will surely help too... not only the sponge will digest it, your other corals too! i cant afford plankton, so gotta make do with filter food.. but i hope it will work...

all the best to ya tank.. looking great as ever!

btw, your anemone has grown bigger... haha... a very cute one also... tip of the tentacles are actually light green in nature...

Hi bro, do you encounter problem feeding the 2 spots? I read from somewhere they can be hard to feed and starve most of the time. Just bought mine, hehe.

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

Hi Jervis,

Well, one reefer told me we need lotsa pods for this fella. But the Fish Farm guys are also perplex as tootheir short lifespan. One gave me the rule of thumb, or should I say finger. He said that if you buy one that is bigger than your last pinky finger, it will have a higher chance of survival.

Average lifespan for mine are between 3-5 weeks. But its like a lucky draw, the last one really got down to 'vacuum' the sand once he was released.I guess he was really starving. I just bought anohter the other day, it just sat there and stoned. So it really depends on your luck.

I guess as long as there are scraps in the sand , that will keep him going. I enjoy watching an active 2spots to a turbo anyday :lol:

Hi Jervis,

Well, one reefer told me we need lotsa pods for this fella. But the Fish Farm guys are also perplex as tootheir short lifespan. One gave me the rule of thumb, or should I say finger. He said that if you buy one that is bigger than your last pinky finger, it will have a higher chance of survival.

Average lifespan for mine are between 3-5 weeks. But its like a lucky draw, the last one really got down to 'vacuum' the sand once he was released.I guess he was really starving. I just bought anohter the other day, it just sat there and stoned. So it really depends on your luck.

I guess as long as there are scraps in the sand , that will keep him going. I enjoy watching an active 2spots to a turbo anyday :lol:

Oh mine did filter through the sand occasionally... the way it hovers above the sand bed is so so cool B)