Juscool's 24G Nano Cube

juscool

As for my case, i didn't modify or cut any of the part from the hood to accomodate the piping. However, i did remove the part near the opening at the back of the hood, one on the right, one on the left, can remove by unscrew and think,, push it out. Afterwhich you can push the tube in.

By the way.. i saw your jewel with green tip, is it growing healthy ? I had one jewel with me for 3 weeks liao, this week i notice that it take longer time to open and not as open wider and longer as usual.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow looking picturesque! I own a 24g NC too, u sure u can fit all those into a 24g? It does look larger to me in the pics. I guess you've succesfully master the art of Nano then, just like Bonsai, a successful Bonsai tree is suppose to look like a full-scale tree... congratz!

Hey what causes the crash? Can you share with me as I might do the same mishaps too.

As for me, I don't think I can have such great beauty, I can't afford a crash as it will give my partner an extremely good excuse to kick my NC out of the house. So must be extra cautious... so will be extra conservative too in terms of stocking.

Do visit my threads :rolleyes:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

Hope you have enuf, pods for ur green mandarin dragonet.

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

• SRC Member
...a successful Bonsai tree is suppose to look like a full-scale tree... congratz!

Hey what causes the crash? Can you share with me as I might do the same mishaps too.

Hi Javismun,

Thanks for the compliment, I guess the scaping is from trial and error. I managed to find rocks that stacked well. Did find a need to glue any of them together. In fact the picks look larger than it really is. At the moment, I have still 1/3 of the height of the nano still empty, I guess I could stack more, but will wait and see if the bio load is stable first.

Well the crash was due to novice mistake on my part, I bought some soft corals and sponges and wanted to make sure they had enough zoo planktons and phytos.

So I guess I overdosed on the powder zoo & pytho ...thus learnt the hard way that too much zoo & phyto planktons can actually be bad for the reef.

Everything started dying , first LS, then soft corals and eventually LR. Before I realised my mistake, my tank was reduced to 1/4 of scanvengable ones..

Now I switched to the ready mixed ones from the farm. It was a costly mistake and I guess I learnt a valuable lesson the hard way.

Bro you are indeed a techie and a gadget whiz, I guess I have lots to learn from you. Will be watching your nano development closely, I hope to pick up some gizmo tips from you.

Keep up the great work bro!

• SRC Member
Hope you have enuf, pods for ur green mandarin dragonet.

Hi nakazoru,

Well not too sure exactly what pods are. Are they the caroline algaecand stuff that grows out of them?

But the mandarin is still busy nipping on the LR, I gurss he is happy. How can I ensure that I have sufficient pods?

I have a problem with algae growth on my glass thought. Its like I need to clean it once every 2 -3 days.

What is the best LS to add to a nano that will place the algae in check?

I know turbo snails are the best, but they can grow really fast and and may eventually move your LRs. I guess same problem with hermit crabs..

What about Cleaner shrimps...do they eat algae as well?

Maybe a blenny...but do all blennies do the job of eating algae?

:thanks: in advance

• SRC Member
As for my case, i didn't modify or cut any of the part from the hood to accomodate the piping. However, i did remove the part near the opening at the back of the hood, one on the right, one on the left, can remove by unscrew and think,, push it out. Afterwhich you can push the tube in.

By the way.. i saw your jewel with green tip, is it growing healthy ? I had one jewel with me for 3 weeks liao, this week i notice that it take longer time to open and not as open wider and longer as usual.

Hi MSavy,

Can you show how you did the modification with the hood? Cos if you remove the back, mean the entire hood will be removed , no? Would appreciate if you could share a pic. Thanks

As for the green tip jewel, they were opening up happily till the clown decided to make it a home. S now its also reduced in size alot. But I guess its also a blessing..so that it wouldnt grown so big so fast. I guess as long as it is partially opened..it will feed itself sufficiently to stay alive.

Cheers

Justin

• SRC Member

Hi nakazoru,

Well not too sure exactly what pods are. Are they the caroline algaecand stuff that grows out of them?

But the mandarin is still busy nipping on the LR, I gurss he is happy. How can I ensure that I have sufficient pods?

I have a problem with algae growth on my glass thought. Its like I need to clean it once every 2 -3 days.

What is the best LS to add to a nano that will place the algae in check?

I know turbo snails are the best, but they can grow really fast and and may eventually move your LRs. I guess same problem with hermit crabs..

What about Cleaner shrimps...do they eat algae as well?

Maybe a blenny...but do all blennies do the job of eating algae?

:thanks: in advance

Pods are sand bed creature that are scavenger that almost looks like termites on land. The dragonet are predator of these pods. Dragonet are fuzzy eater when first introduced into the tank, so they need alot of effort to train they to eat pellets or prepared food. One reason also because they are quite slow in getting to prepared food as they are bottom/rock dwellers.

The rest of fishes will eat up everything leaving notting for these rock dwellers. It does not matter if the dragonet if nibbling at the LR, they die of starvation if they got no food, and I'm pretty sure your tank has not enuf pods for dragonet, unless he gets to eat pellets. It is classified as a Advance fish to keep. It almost certainly dies in a new tank. That's why it is cheap for such a colorful fish. Get it.

As for algae, LS will not do a perfect job but still good to have. PO4 comes with the tap water, food for algae. Snail does not topple LR like the hermit, mine do not. Algae blennie is a good one for me, but some bros here report they do notting.

Cleaner shrimps DO NOT eats algae, but cleans parasites on fishes thus cleaner shrimps. ;)

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

• SRC Member

Thanks nakazoru for the info.

Not sure if the pods will multiply fast enough. But the mandarin has started taking a liking for brine shrimps. I make sure I turn the pump off at feeding time and ensure some of the shrimps sink to the bottom in front of the madarin. So I guess he is eating.

I have not had luck training my LS to eating dried food as they spit it out. The guy at ALANTIS, claims he trains all his fishes to eat dried pallets or food. I'm not sure if thats for real, cos my chromis and clown are fussy when it comes to food.

Thanks again for the tip, I will invest in a turbo soon. I will get a cleaner as well.

But there is an annoying tiny sea-cockroach looking bug that likes to hang around my clown and cardinal. At first I thought they had some disease or growth, butsecond look this cockroach clings to their bodies.

Will they cause any harm to the LS?

But somehow or rather we need to train our fish to take dry food. What if we are on a 2 weeks holiday? If dry food, I can get a timer feeder machine. That's my plan btw.

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Yeah, understood...but I dont seem to master this technique.

Maybe will starve them for a week and try again. :lol:

You are so cruel lah! 3 days enough lah! lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

I managed to handfeed my false percula with dry food! :yeah

Btw, I revamped the entire tank.

Took me a back-breaking 4 hours, here are my pics of the new look. It looks taller than before, but at least it keep the parameter of the nano free for cleaning.

post-34-1142178877.jpg