cdckjn's Tank in the Office

cdckjn

• SRC Member

Erm, i think 1 week is too fast for the beneficial bacteria to multiply with or without adding any bacteria tablets. But anyway, your fishes look healthy and its much better than the 1st tank i had. Hehe, have fun stocking up and continue to post pics yeah? Cheers.... :lol:

My Newbie Tank Thread

My Blog

All pics taken with CanoN!~

• SRC Member

How to keep live brine shrimps alive - I seen Petmart selling these in big packs and I know that my clowns will not be able to consume so much in 1 week. I had them for about 1 week already (last Wednesday).

• SRC Member

Ok, after the weekend, the clownfished started eating the fresh pellets that I bought from home. I guess the "older lot of pellets" are just no longer fresh to them.

after checking today, it looks that one of my hairy mushroom is not doing well, it seems to spew out its guts and not there is a gaping hole in the centre. I shifted it up where it is nearer the light and I gets better water flow.

I also discover some interesting hitchhakers in the Mushroom rocks - it like that a baby featherduster. and There is also a "something with several long arms" coming from the holes in the rock. Will continue to monitor this. There is also a sponge-like thing with long tenacles.

Any advice?

• SRC Member

for my tank in my office, the temperature is a comfortable 28 degrees. Guess because I put it directly under the lights on my table. And that my air-con in the open office cubicle are set at 23 degrees and I am sitting near the door therefore the heat comes in.

My mushrooms are opening well when the lights are turned on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

The weipro 2014 is used for my home 2ft tank. I have a weipro 2011 but no space to put that in my office. I may want to invest in a canister later on to have better filtration. No need for skimmer I think as the bioload is reasonably low. only 2 clownfish, 1 bicolor dottyback, 1 turbo snail, 2 featherduster, and soft corals. will upgrade skimmer later, may just put the air-stone drivren skimmer but really no space in this small tank.

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

New postings, the tank is more or less stable, now enjoying the steady state of reefkeeping with the daily maintenance of topping of distilled water from school science lab, feeding fishes especially over the weekend (no one in school), the daily operation of lighting (by timer) the removal of the excess "cheato", adding of additives, reef food etc.

post-69-1143419597.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Now look at the growth of the algae. Looks like a planted tank - I like the greenery swaying in the low current. Looks like I have to do a trimming soon.

post-69-1144627787.jpg

• SRC Member

for fresh brine shrimps. keep them in the fridge.. they can live as long as u like.. haha.. trust mi.. but have to remeber to add water.. as water evaporate.. ya..

Reefing is like a Relationship, Once you fall in Love with it, You will Love it for Life... :wub:

5a8bbdf6e2308_YUMA16.png.f2e17836611683574a142ad6fbd86466.png

• SRC Member
for fresh brine shrimps. keep them in the fridge.. they can live as long as u like.. haha.. trust mi.. but have to remeber to add water.. as water evaporate.. ya..

Wow, you sure?....thats somthing new....how long have you managed to keep them alive in the fridge? Learnt something new again.... :lol:

My Newbie Tank Thread

My Blog

All pics taken with CanoN!~

Em... I shall be getting a small "bar" fridge soon... my partner gonna kill me for putting live brine shrimp into the fridge... lol :nuke:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

Sad Sad Sad just after taking this picture in the morning, I went away for half an hour, and came back to find this firefish on the floor. Of course I picked it up and only to discover its body floating in the water.

It has been in this 1ft pico tank in my office with the dottyback, been chasing and having a "fight" every day when they appear for food.

Yes, the price of a Purple firefish is about $8-$10 each while a normal firefish is only $4-$6.

It is sad to see such beautiful fishes jump out and die. Yes, of course I know that they can jump, that's why I have a plastic cover. I also give a little gap so that there is some ventilation - keeps the temperature down. So this fella must have "aim" accurately then it jumped out and flopped around a bit before landing on the floor. Poor Thing!!!

post-69-1145407423.jpg

Sorry to hear that... it happens... they should be called Jumper Fish instead... to always remind us how good in jumping they are ;)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

I do not really suggest keeping firefishes in nano tanks. They are notorious for jumping out of the tank. In your case, your dotty back may have induced the firefish to jump. Dotty backs are aggressive lil' buggers and would chase docile firefishes.

If you still wish to keep firefishes, I would remove the dotty back from your tank.

Nice & simple set-up for the office. ;)

• 3 months later...
  • SRC Member

Due to the long stretch during the June school Holidays, the tank was closed, when transferred into another 2 ft tank, the clownfishes fell sick and died. The tank was then decommissioned. Was think of restarted with only 1 clown and anemone next academic year.

Now my pet hobby is radio-controlled flying - helicopters.

Until next year. <_<