Need help on CR & Mg!

bluewind79

Hi,

I like to ask u guys who is using Calcium reactor that do u still dose magnesium when u have CR running in ur tank. If no, how u managed to maintain the Mg level in the water?

Have heard that calcium wld aslo affect magnesium. Once ur calcium is at the correct level (eg 420ppm) the magnesium level wld be 'automatically' be ard 1100-1300. Is that true? ;)

thks!

Depends on what media you are using in your CR. ARM should be fine, as it also contains magnesium and other trace elements like strontium.

It is only when you maintain your Ca and kH levels predominantly/solely using kalkwasser. Kalkwasser contains miniscule amounts of Mg and very often the Mg is precipitated out by the resultant high pH of kalkwasser solution. Thus dosing kalkwasser in the long run will lead to Mg deficiency, if Mg levels are not monitored and adjusted. Not sure about the optimum Mg level, but I prefer to keep it at 1500 ppm.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

good luck to u.... Did u check the paremeter of the NSWwith a test kit?????

Most of the time of the NSW i brought in the past from eastern side of the LSF, found that all the CA,mg, kh sg,.........most of them are low in amount.....so why pay for that... when u can mix ur own at home, with a bag of good sea salt...

good luck to u.... Did u check the paremeter of the NSWwith a test kit?????

Most of the time of the NSW i brought in the past from eastern side of the LSF, found that all the CA,mg, kh sg,.........most of them are low in amount.....so why pay for that... when u can mix ur own at home, with a bag of good sea salt...

I'm aware that the new salt water that i bought has low amount of Ca, Mg, Kdh & even a nitrate level of 5ppm. But to me its much more easier using NSW than mixing salt water.

However, i do monitor the water parameters and dose any supplements which i find insuffcient in my tank.

Now, i'm looking at CR & a good media that can maintain the water parameters rather than dosing supplements so often. As there might be times, i'm not able or forget to dose the supplements. :P

• SRC Member

trust me... even if you have your CR running... and every water change (NSW water with off parameter)... your CR won't help much. you still have to dose the supplements to keep up with the off parameter. the CR function is to maintain your parameter whatever your reef takes each day :)

age.png

trust me... even if you have your CR running... and every water change (NSW water with off parameter)... your CR won't help much. you still have to dose the supplements to keep up with the off parameter. the CR function is to maintain your parameter whatever your reef takes each day :)

oh ok, never knew that. Thks for the advice