Artistes performing stunts for charity

blueheaven

This probably had to be a hot topic in various forums now.

So what is your view on this?

Here's mine:

I believe the "theory" behind artistes performing for charity shows comes from buskers who perform in the streets for a living (you often see those in chinese dramas).

Although I have to agree that in the past year, artistes had done several dangerous stunts for these shows but in recent years, the stunts had toned down to a rather acceptable standard.

I had also heard many people say that instead of doing stunts, charity shows could hold concerts instead but if you look at the previous charity shows which had foreign artistes sing and dance, the response of the public is not as much as local artistes performing stunts. For me, I'd also prefer to watch artistes performing stunts as these are more "capturing".

In the recent Ren Ci charity show, it sparked a series of controversies that range from "manipulating viewers" to the tears of Venerable Ming Yi. But from what I see in the whole show, especially from the performance by the Venerable, it is neither too exerting to him nor is it a move to "manipulate viewers" to donate.

The fact that the Venerable is willing to do such a stunt (under much safety precautions) for the patients is already proof of his determination and sincerity.

I mean, nobody paid him tens of thousands of dollars in risk of him being traumatised by the performance and nobody pointed a gun at him, forcing him to do it. The only reason for this act is to give entertainment to viewers so that they will call in to donate. I believe it is a psycological thing as more people will call as the stunts gets more exciting and difficult.

So I do not see why artistes should not perform stunts for charity shows to entertain viewers to donate as long as the stunts are safe. I believe that charity shows could only be successful as long as they have these two things in check:

1) Never give cash or prizes to callers in the form of a "raffle"

2) Stunts performed can be difficult but must be safe

So what is your views on this?

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member

I personally feel that it's time they stop artistes from performing such stunts be it considered safe or not as there are still artistes injuring themselves while practising.

There are many other good ideas for artistes to perform besides singing that may also be able to raise money. In one year, artistes are required to perform for a few charity shows and not juz one show; and they may end up like performing for circus instead. These may discourage some would be good artistes from joining the local entertainment line due to these stunts performance requirement.

It's actually not the stunt that motivate ppl to donate but the sincerity of the organisers and the charity. Also the toll fee (1900) are getting higher and higher as these will also discourage ppl from donating - probably more ppl are calling the direct line ($30 and above) to avoid paying the 1900 fee.

Artistes are employed to act and not to perform stunts for charity frankly and they should not exploit our artistes. If there is a need, get the stuntmen to do it.

That's a good point

I think they chose artistes just because we recognise them.

IMO injuries are unavoidable as everything you do, even in daily life, bears an element of danger and I think injuries are normal.

But the point you brought up about having many charity shows a year does take a toll on the artistes and maybe that should be another factor that has to be worked out

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif