A Newbie's Tank ... My 1St

Qxnviolet

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your tank is looking really amazing!!! With the new colours... Love it!!! Em... filling more LR on the left? Sure about it? Coz I always think your rockscape is quite unique... oh u do need another MH to fill up the left side.

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member
Your tank is looking really amazing!!! With the new colours... Love it!!! Em... filling more LR on the left? Sure about it? Coz I always think your rockscape is quite unique... oh u do need another MH to fill up the left side.

Thanks! Im sure your upcoming project will be superb too. Yes, i need another Mh, but im dead broke....this will have to do till next year....think i should stop upgrading my equipment till i have a new tank.... :)

My Newbie Tank Thread

My Blog

All pics taken with CanoN!~

• SRC Member
probably can use egg crates... juz use your current LR, but egg crates beneath, stack the LR over, can create 2 piles lor...

Hmz, are eggcrates that stable? Actually i prefer using all LRs ,can hole more beneficial bacteria too. But of course, packing the LRs too tightly will restrict flow between them. Ah well, save up save up save up! If i don't, my new tank might never come. Oh, is there a 5FT max restriction on fish tanks sizes for hdb apartments? :unsure:

My Newbie Tank Thread

My Blog

I heard u need to apply for approval for tanks larger than 4"... but hey a lot of bros' tanks larger than that and a lot of them... u know lah! U can also consider PVC tubes for stacking LR. I also thinking of that coz too much LR also can be overkill and less large caves area. Since my new tank doesn't rely on LR too much for filtration. Will let u know if I can come up with something... err... genius? lol

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

LoL....be sure to....trying to do research before i start my new tank, the current one almost everything is touch and go....luckily it has stabled down already. Hrmz, if i were to put a sheet ot arcylic on the tank bottom before i lay my LRs/substrate on it, will it be ok cause the arcylic will somehow protect the glass on the bottom of the tank?

My Newbie Tank Thread

My Blog

LoL....be sure to....trying to do research before i start my new tank, the current one almost everything is touch and go....luckily it has stabled down already. Hrmz, if i were to put a sheet ot arcylic on the tank bottom before i lay my LRs/substrate on it, will it be ok cause the arcylic will somehow protect the glass on the bottom of the tank?

I think it's ok, but make sure it's laid entirely flat and maybe a bit of sealant to avoid stuff sipping in later... what's ur concern actually? u going BB?

• SRC Member

NoNo....haha, just for additional protection of the bottom glass panel. Heard alot of benifits about going BB but i still prefer abit of substrate in my tank. Will proberbly go for Grade 0 sand below and a layer of grade 1 sand on top. Currently i only have grade 0 sand in my tank, they get stirred up pretty easily.

My Newbie Tank Thread

My Blog

NoNo....haha, just for additional protection of the bottom glass panel. Heard alot of benifits about going BB but i still prefer abit of substrate in my tank. Will proberbly go for Grade 0 sand below and a layer of grade 1 sand on top. Currently i only have grade 0 sand in my tank, they get stirred up pretty easily.

Hehe I wouldn't go BB too... kinda feel something is missing... despite the benefits, lol. If you have sand protecting against falling LR, why another layer of acrylic? That will be 1g less water for your tank, lol.

Anyone have any experience with Plenum? I heard it's good for the sand bed... but not sure what it is all about :unsure:

Hrmz, heard about it but didnt really go and find out what it is. Sounds very "chim" for me... :lol:

Bro u happen to be at AM today? Was there and I bought some LS... hehe

Nope....was planning to pass by but it was raining so heavily this afternoon that i gave up on the idea. What did you buy? Any interesting stuff there? I passed by RB and PR today, nothing really special. :)

Come over to my old thread to find out :-)

I am having plenum for my current tank... Seems like okay to me...

It is making sure that the sandbed is kept in an aerobic condition so that it will not produce the poisonous hydrogen sulphide... I wouldnt wan to start a debating topic here as DSB and Plenum have their own group of supporter...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

Bro been busy? Or no time to go LFS, so no update... lol

Yeah this hobby is like a black-hole ###### all our resources in... but I really can't think of another hobby that offers the same level of satisfaction... come on... a piece of the ocean at home? How many people can actually own that? lol

Wait for my tank to cycle... then we go shopping spree!!! lol