A Newbie's Tank ... My 1St

Qxnviolet

ballast. how much u bought it?

150w too?

just use a pen knife to cut off the silicon then u can get the center bracing off easily with a lil force.

no worries, the glass wont break.

Do not take the center bracing away if you dun have euro-bracing... Without it, your glass will wrap and overtime, will break... Especially if your glass is more than 2ft and less than 10mm thick...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
:eyebrow: Wah MH already... so exciting!!! Yalor that center bracing is creating quite an undesirable special effect, lol. But once you switch on your other lights, perhaps it will blend in better.

And your Clam looks beautiful... what time you bought it? You pick yours near the water outlet right? The one nearest to the right side of the display tank. If yes, I was there earlier than you. I think our colouration the same :)

Can remove that white sticker on the MH clamp? Quite distracting...

Haha, yeah, decide to take the plunge today. Bought the clam sometime around 5+ to 6. Yeap, its the 1 close to the water outlet....no money to buy ultra maximas....came acroos this pretty affordable piece so got it to try.... :lol:

My Newbie Tank Thread

My Blog

All pics taken with CanoN!~

• SRC Member
I think u might need 2 MH for your tank size... 1 on each side, so no need to remove the plastic bracing... lol. Currently with 1 MH, your lighting will become very uneven.

Yeah the shimmering effect... and I'm sure you love the reflections on the ceiling too, lol.

Haha, you sponser me 1? Im too broke for anything else right now.... :)

My Newbie Tank Thread

My Blog

• SRC Member

Do not take the center bracing away if you dun have euro-bracing... Without it, your glass will wrap and overtime, will break... Especially if your glass is more than 2ft and less than 10mm thick...

Oh okayz, thanks for the advice...guess i'll have to find a way to maybe add a T5 to make the lighting more even....now my right hand side is much brighter than the left.

My Newbie Tank Thread

My Blog

Oh okayz, thanks for the advice...guess i'll have to find a way to maybe add a T5 to make the lighting more even....now my right hand side is much brighter than the left.

Hehe that's why u need 2 MH instead of 1... why? Coz you have 2 butt checks, 2 thighs and 2 sides of the tummy... lol!!! :evil::angel::evil::angel::evil::angel:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Erm, i bought it at 300sgd....is that too expensive? Comes with a 20k bulb.

Duh... I think I can forget about it... It seems ex to me... lol... Even i sell away my T5 only half the price... lol..

Better stick to my T5s... lol..

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

Yeah u r reserving some space for some Ultra Maximas :yeah:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

The ultras didnt look really nice when i saw them.....so exp also... :pinch:

I didn't really got the chance to see those Ultras from AM, but saw some tiny ones in PR display tank... yalor nothing fantastic and that guy told me can easily fetch 100+... I think I'll settle for another Croceas or Maxima next week :yeah::yeah::yeah:

• SRC Member

I didn't really got the chance to see those Ultras from AM, but saw some tiny ones in PR display tank... yalor nothing fantastic and that guy told me can easily fetch 100+... I think I'll settle for another Croceas or Maxima next week :yeah::yeah::yeah:

Hrmz, those small small clams in PR are pretty nice. Wonder if those mini utras on sale now will be coloured as nicely as that.....anyway, theres this maxima in AM's small tank, is that an ultra or normal maxima?

My Newbie Tank Thread

My Blog

Hrmz, no experience on clams...does this one looks ok?  :unsure:

It looks kinda skinny to me...prob due to the distorted angle... was at AM this afternoon (yeah between meetings, lol) I am very unhappy with their display tank. Their normal clams are $5 cheaper than others but the display tank is so dark can't even see the colours. I asked the lady what time the MH will be "on" and she told me they don't "on" the MH!!! Then how to select? Also afraid the clam will get MH shock... :pinch:

Of course I didn't buy :snore:

• SRC Member

It looks kinda skinny to me...prob due to the distorted angle... was at AM this afternoon (yeah between meetings, lol) I am very unhappy with their display tank. Their normal clams are $5 cheaper than others but the display tank is so dark can't even see the colours. I asked the lady what time the MH will be "on" and she told me they don't "on" the MH!!! Then how to select? Also afraid the clam will get MH shock... :pinch:

Of course I didn't buy :snore:

Hrmz, it does look abit skinny to me...is it ok if i bury abit of the shell in the sand? Will it cause the clam to not open up as much? Any best angles to leave the clam at? Hrmz, wheer was the display tank where they put the clams? They dont have mh for those normal tnaks, only for the blue tubs where they put their ultras....

My Newbie Tank Thread

My Blog

Hrmz, it does look abit skinny to me...is it ok if i bury abit of the shell in the sand? Will it cause the clam to not open up as much? Any best angles to leave the clam at? Hrmz, wheer was the display tank where they put the clams? They dont have mh for those normal tnaks, only for the blue tubs where they put their ultras....

Hehe I am no expert in clams, so can't advise u much on that. However, to please yourself, you can always place the clam facing the viewer slightly angled towards the current flow. My clam doesn't look skinny... and I remember seeing your clam at PR, doesn't look skinny to me... perhaps you wanna tilt the angle a bit? Try post a frontal shot of the clam.

Their display tanks are beneath the staircase, the only 2 "touch-pool" tanks they have. Those blue lamps are not MH, just normal tubes. It was so dark there, I can't even see those tiny ultras clearly... they all look black to me. Well, perhaps I went at the wrong timing. Will try again after work, see if they "on" the MH. Gonna get another clam :yeah::yeah::yeah:

i thought they will on their MH... tts what i see all these while.. hmm weird.. MH shock?! haha

I was at AM just now, bought another clam. Yeah they did "on" the MH. So the woman I talked to the other time knows nothing about the shop, lol. :D

• SRC Member

AM always offer very good services, with very detailed explanations on the husbandry of the LS that you purchase, or about to purchase. Janet and Steve are more then willing to help...

AM is indeed the place to go!